CVA Refurbs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
CVA currently has refurbished /blemished Wolf and Optima V2's on sale for 150.99 and 225.99, respectively. You don't get a choice as to what they will send. Shipping is free but you have to pay tax. I took a chance and first ordered a Wolf and received a Black stock, Blue barreled version that was built in 2020. Came in a new box with all the normal stuff to include their scope mount. I could not find anything wrong with it at all, looks brand new and everything functions as it should. About a week later I decided to take a chance on the Optima but they were out of stock. A week later they were back in stock so I placed the order. I received an Optima V2 LR version with thumbhole camo stock and a nitride 28in barrel and again with their scope mount. Both these rifles look fantastic and I think I did well. Put the Vortex Vanquish 4-12x I had on the V2 LR and a Vortex 2-7x on the Wolf. May switch the Vanquish to the Burris FF IV 2.5 -10X E1 Ballistic with illuminated red dot.l but want to shoot it first. I didn't need a new rifle but I am pleased with what I received and feel I got a great deal. Only thing the warranty does not cover is cosmetic issues but I don't see any.

John

Sounds like you got a good deal.
Refurbished is a funny term. One never knows what it exactly means. Somebody could have ordered a rifle, got it, then decided they didn't want it and sent it back. It can't be resold as new anymore. They probably clean it up a bit and rebox it. Now it's refurbished.

Bought a refurbished Nikon Turkey Pro years ago. New box not a blem on it. It has worked perfectly and still has a place on my favorite turkey gun. So one never knows.

Maybe unsold returns of prior year models from box stores and such. The little Wolf is interesting; would make a good loaner. Would also be my first CVA.

I guess it's the "Life is a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get." analogy. I assume CVA wouldn't be selling any dogs but you have no say in what they send. For me I am happy, I set my expectations for a standard black/blue version. I have a couple of other wolf's that I either use as a loaner or carry with me to a stand that is a bit deep/far into the woods. I also use them as loaner. Nice well made, balanced gun IMHO.

I ordered a “blemished” paramount from CVA but when the box arrived it was labeled refurbished. Two different things in my opinion. Never could see a real blemish. Haven’t got good groups out of it yet. Gonna try some different bullets and see if that helps

make a good loaner.
Its a good man that will buy a MZ so he will have it as a loaner.

My friend has passed but he thought it was better to keep borrowing my rifles than to buy his own. He had more money than me so one day I told him those days were over. If you borrow something once or twice that works for me. But to borrow it year after year. Pony up and get your own. He did.

Buy one of these are refurbished,, put a decent cheap scope on it get it shooting go find a young man teach him how to shoot it and hunt with it and give it to him and then go get you another one do two or three a year,, I understand the expense,, I'm a poor man too,, but I sure want to see muzzleloading passed on to the younger generation,, share your passion with others

Its a good man that will buy a MZ so he will have it as a loaner.

My friend has passed but he thought it was better to keep borrowing my rifles than to buy his own. He had more money than me so one day I told him those days were over. If you borrow something once or twice that works for me. But to borrow it year after year. Pony up and get your own. He did.

I had a friend borrow an extra rifle a couple years ago and that was the last time I will ever loan out a gun like that. It came back all scratched up because he "kept it behind the truck seat" the entire season.

Now I no longer trust anyone to take care of my guns the way that I do.

Not to say that I have never put a scratch on a gun...accidents happen. But to put it behind the seat without so much as a cloth sleeve to help protect it was not cool.

I promptly sold the rifle at a loss since it had both metal and stock damage and got to tell him the next season when he asked again that I didn't have an extra rifle to loan out.

I did have an extra Scout V2 converted so that my Dad could borrow it, but I know that he takes care of guns the way I do and he will only have it while in the woods with me anyway.

I had a friend borrow an extra rifle a couple years ago and that was the last time I will ever loan out a gun like that. It came back all scratched up because he "kept it behind the truck seat" the entire season.

Now I no longer trust anyone to take care of my guns the way that I do.

Not to say that I have never put a scratch on a gun...accidents happen. But to put it behind the seat without so much as a cloth sleeve to help protect it was not cool.

I promptly sold the rifle at a loss since it had both metal and stock damage and got to tell him the next season when he asked again that I didn't have an extra rifle to loan out.

I did have an extra Scout V2 converted so that my Dad could borrow it, but I know that he takes care of guns the way I do and he will only have it while in the woods with me anyway.

This right here is why I quit borrowing guns out. Damage, missing choke tubes, bent scopes. I just tell people the gun is the cheap part of hunting so if you can’t invest that much then you can’t hunt.

For a close friend I may borrow one of my beat up 20 gauges for a kid to use, but typically I just help them find a cheap one to buy.

Same goes for ammo, if you can’t be bothered to buy ammo then I can’t help you.

I have found such joy in giving away what I enjoy,, for me if I loan someone something there's usually strings attached even if those strings haven't been defined,, as I'm slowing down and looking at life in my own model of it I realize how much I missed at a young age I thought I was a custom knight or at least a Pedersoli truth is I'm more of a wolverine or a wolf maybe even,,, gasp,, a traditions, so glad now to be refurbished to find a little Arrowhead and hankins maybe even some Cooper,, so blessed to be refurbished and still learning,, by the way I wish I had a bag full of those refurbished rifles,,, at least four or five of them!!! They wouldn't be refurbished to me,, it would be a new rifle if it had a scratch that's fine I have scratches too

I was looking at the CVA website and saw a wolf with blued barrel, green camo stock. Comes with either a one piece scope mount or the Durasights. List price is $ 203.95. Not a refurbished model.
For that price, I might have to order one.

Are you sure that was a friend? I've loaned and borrowed guns, and never had an issue. All of my guns are scratched. I hunt rugged country, and I'm getting old. Just in the last year, I helped 2 people get their first big game animal. That is rewarding, and helps to insure the future of hunting. I remember falling with my dad's 6.5 Swedish Mauser and putting a big gouge in the stock. My grandson has that rifle now. IMHO, a trap or skeet gun can be pretty, but a hunting gun should be stainless with a synthetic stock.

I agree that a hunting gun oughta be SST and synthetic. But my dads and his dads(both gone now) old guns have some scars and there are probably some good stories about how they happened. I wish i could hear those stories now.

Last edited:
I have both stainless/plastic rifles and shotguns and classic (old and new wood/blued).

I prefer the wood/blued guns and prefer to start my youngsters on them as well so they learn gun maintenance and the importance of immediately taking care of things after the hunt. Now most of those are also guns that have a lot of stories behind them as well.

I like the few synthetic/stainless guns I have, but they are not as maintenance free as many would have you believe. I am really skeptical of used stainless guns as many have never had any maintenance. Stainless will corrode if not taken care of.

Back