Deers ability to see "No-Flash" trail cams...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a great discussion concerning a deers ability to see the IR flash on a commercial IR trail camera, (such as the Cuddeback No-Flash), the other day. During the discussion I learned a lot from another member of the NJH board (Double Lunger) about the different IR's available. While Double Lunger explained that it is clearly possibly to make IR cameras that the deer can not see...it seemed equally clear that most current commercial available camera's are not using that technology.

When I was having the discussion the other day I did not have access to all of my pics...However, as I was erasing a bunch of old trail cam pics today I came upon so many excellent examples of deer recognizing the cam, even in the dark of night, while taking IR pics I figured I would share some recent pics to show exactly what I was discussing.

All of the pics below are of a buck I call the "curler". This particular buck seems to have some kind of fetish with the camera...every time it sees the camera going off it does a "fleming" lip curl...[spy] In fact, he almost seems to like the process; sometimes spending as much as an hour in front of the cam as if he is waiting for more...[rofl]

My point here is...this buck is not only unquestionably aware that the camera is there...it is also physically responding to the camera at the time it is taking pictures...and not just in a startled sense as if heard a noise...but it is looking perfectly straight at the camera...as it can obviously see the IR when it is preparing for the camera to trigger.[eek]

JC

121.jpg

126.jpg

124.jpg

122.jpg

120.jpg

165.jpg

195-1.jpg

123.jpg

JC

Some of those photos were on Dec 25. I think that is one of Santa's reindeer. :D :D

That would be an interesting discussion. Anyone know a wildlife biologist who could say if a deer can see IR light. I know fish can't because it doesn't bother them from the camera of my aqua view.
The lip curl. I wonder if that's a response to the IR or is he sniffing the remains of your sent on the camera. Seems to me that by the time he would react to the light his picture has already been taken.
I know that deer will react to the sound of the shutter in a camera. I've seen it and from a deer that was about 50 yds away.

RAF said:
I wonder if that's a response to the IR or is he sniffing the remains of your sent on the camera. Seems to me that by the time he would react to the light his picture has already been taken.

1). That cam had been untouched for a well over week with deer feeding around it every day...and no other deer were "sniffing" the way this buck does...I believe it is rather unlikely he smelled the cam. (If he smelled human...believe me, we all know from experience he would be long gone... :lol: )

2). The IR light stays on for a noticeable amount of time prior to the picture. I believe it actually triggers and stays light for a short period prior to the actual trigger of the camera in order for the cam to optimize its picture quality...I think it would be relatively easy for the deer the see the light out of the corner of its eye and react prior to the camera triggering. (If this is not the case, then one has to presume that deer was just "curling" like that randomly over and over for no reason without any stimulus, something I believe is pretty unlikely as well...)

JC

I have run both the IR and regular flash cameras alot. I get between 5,000 and 10,000 pics a week.

I have went back to the cheap Moultrie 4.0 digital and use a 2 gb SD card for storage. I set the event delay on 1 minute then set multi shot for 2 shots at 5 second interval per occurrence.

Sometimes I will have over 500 pics per 24 hr period.

Now to the point, I get much less startle from the regular white flash than I do from the IR.

At most it seems to help get pictures of head (antlers) better because the 1st shot makes the deer raise head and look right at cam (POSE) for the next pic.

Here is a couple that it really scared!

I get pic of the bottom deer nearly every nite and occasionally in the day at this camera.

Temp0367.jpg

Temp0211.jpg

jcchartboy said:
[
2). The IR light stays on for a noticeable amount of time prior to the picture. I believe it actually triggers and stays light for a short period prior to the actual trigger of the camera in order for the cam to optimize its picture quality...I think it would be relatively easy for the deer the see the light out of the corner of its eye and react prior to the camera triggering. (If this is not the case, then one has to presume that deer was just "curling" like that randomly over and over for no reason without any stimulus, something I believe is pretty unlikely as well...)

JC

I didn't realize they did that but then it all makes sense

I agree, they can see it.

JC, I agree that they can see the IR, I have a Cuddeback NoFlash also and as for shutter sound, I have never heard any noise from it, so I don't think its a noise, I think its the red lights. I posted a pic, then video of a nice 8 point, and I think he see the IR for the pic, cause the video starts immediately after the pic, and he is looking straight at the cam., Looks like he is trying to figure out what the red lights are then runs off. But he just runs a little ways and stops and looks back. all you can see is his eyes glow way in the background.
Here's the link the the thread I did.
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=7476

Re: I agree, they can see it.

jlaughlin72 said:
as for shutter sound, I don't think its a noise, http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=7476

Of course you're right, they don't make a sound until you tell them too :wink: Many will lots of different sounds depending what you want. I made mine make a sound like a real shutter. Before that I didn't know if it took a picture or when. The bottom line though is that deer can hear it from a long way off.

The 'Curler" strikes agian... :lol:

Man...this poor buck can't get enough..here he is again this week struttin his stuff for the camera!!!

JC

065.jpg

Back