Defiance short action anti ultralight 6.49 lb 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
preliminary picture of the rifle I went ahead and dropped it in the stock I still need to bed the lug and a little bit around the barrel and the barrel nut and I haven't installed a trigger yet The rifle weighs 6.49 lb without a timney trigger Don't think that trigger is going to add a lot,, The barrel is a Wilson 16 twist 45 cal graphite wrapped if you can see in the picture,,everything looks cool but we'll see how it shoots only going to shoot black horn in this rifle update everyone on how she shoots here the next few weeks it's pretty cool right now I love the lines of this rifle I'm sure there's going to be some daylight between my butt and the bench when I go bang

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_151957479.jpg
    IMG_20201222_151957479.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20201222_151944467.jpg
    IMG_20201222_151944467.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42
Rifle was wieghted with scope rings and scope mounted,, hankins module and breach plug ,preferred barrels did the barrel work for me, this is my idea of an ultralight muzzleloader at least ergonomically what I'm looking for ,,might change my mind when I feel the recoil,, I'll let everyone know

I have a VX freedom Leopold 1.5 to 4x20 power with a pig Plex,I'm a little nervous about that scope but I felt it stuck with the whole goal of the project, going to slip a trigger on it tomorrow or the next day and try to shoot it this weekend if not sooner I'll let you know

I plan on shooting between 60 and 70 grains by weight of black horn, 250 grain Furys or pitman's in a light blue sabot, but I'm also going to try some heavy bullets with the twist 325's 350's , maybe even some four or 450s,,I'm not going to ask the rifle to do what it wasn't designed to do I hope to keep the range for this rifle within 150 yards 200 at the most

I'm sorry that was a 40 cal in a light blue sabot,,I think the 16 twist will carry the 240s and 250s a little bit better than the 20 twist , anyway unknown territory for me right now will see I am pumped!!!

It will be interesting to hear how the sabots handle the 16 twist. I would worry that fast twist might rip them apart. I had sabot failure in a 1/20 twist when charges got much over 100 grains by volume. 105-110 grains would be maybe 1 in 4 shots and at 120 it was probably half the shots I saw failure. Bullets tumbling and then was finding pieces of sabot petals and base. I was shooting on an 80 degree day and not waiting too long between shots...not sure if the warmer barrel had any impact on the sabot softening up. That was with the light blue crushed rib and a 240 cutting edge bullet. Maybe there is a tougher sabot option available.

I am concerned about the same thing, I have a lot of bullets I can size to bore ride if the sabots don't work out,, very much in an experimental stage right now

Thank you, it's awesome looking right now and it all sounds good,,, only accurate rifles are interesting!!The suspense is killing me I'm going to try to shoot at either today or tomorrow

preliminary picture of the rifle I went ahead and dropped it in the stock I still need to bed the lug and a little bit around the barrel and the barrel nut and I haven't installed a trigger yet The rifle weighs 6.49 lb without a timney trigger Don't think that trigger is going to add a lot,, The barrel is a Wilson 16 twist 45 cal graphite wrapped if you can see in the picture,,everything looks cool but we'll see how it shoots only going to shoot black horn in this rifle update everyone on how she shoots here the next few weeks it's pretty cool right now I love the lines of this rifle I'm sure there's going to be some daylight between my butt and the bench when I go bang
Yeah, at that weight....it might have a weeee bit of recoil to it. :D Keep us posted on how it shoots. It looks sharp.

Maybe knurling the bullets might hold the sabot tighter and not rip them up so much if any.I use XXgrains of hXXX with a 200 grain sst with hlbs and not seen one ripped sabot.I know you are going to use bh209,just thought I would share an example.Beautiful gun.

I appreciate everyone's input The 16 twist was the only carbon wrap barrel I could find in this light of a profile everything else was much heavier profile,, but I am just experimenting and learning a lot in the process

Yeah, I think the 16 twist will work well for full bore bullets from what I have read. Especially if you wanted to go heavy. I know there are people who prefer the 18 twist Knight to the 20s. That 240 cutting edge .40 bullet is a solid option for sure, I shot a mule deer buck with it and it performed well. I just had to shoot a light charge with them is all. With a light weight gun like that a lower charge and a bullet like the cutting edge might be the way to go for a flat shooting lower recoil option. Either way beautiful gun and I’m sure it’s going to be a shooter.

I have the 240 cutting edge it's one of the first two or three bullets I'm going to shoot

It will be interesting to hear how the sabots handle the 16 twist. I would worry that fast twist might rip them apart. I had sabot failure in a 1/20 twist when charges got much over 100 grains by volume. 105-110 grains would be maybe 1 in 4 shots and at 120 it was probably half the shots I saw failure. Bullets tumbling and then was finding pieces of sabot petals and base. I was shooting on an 80 degree day and not waiting too long between shots...not sure if the warmer barrel had any impact on the sabot softening up. That was with the light blue crushed rib and a 240 cutting edge bullet. Maybe there is a tougher sabot option available.

It was that bullet shredding the sabot, Not the load. Its a known sabot killer even with a common load of BH209. 1-16 however is gonna be really hard on sabots

If I start tearing sabots up right out of the gate I'll just switch to heavy 452 bullets and a wad,, I have to give the 40 cal and a sabot a chance though just to see

WOW great job on the gun. Ya got good taste & creativity with an end goal. Nice.

Back