Did it AGAIN...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't been to Dixon's in an age, so I decided to stop in and say " Hi".
Wandering aimlessly about, I spot an early Renegade caplock, in rather nice shape.
Humm... Don't NEED one, but it is an early ( no warning, 69xxx serial number, clean out screw) .54.
Cal. .54, not 'tuther way around.
Nice piece of walnut, and trivial handling marks. She does show some blueing wear on sharp edges. The lock is tight and the unset trigger is quite nice.
Her bore is practically perfect. Good crown and no obvious runout. She's been shot, but most of the bluing is intact.
The last few (!) Renegades I've bought were in the $475 to $ 525 range. Cap or rock, they're well thought of ' round here.
I almost had a stroke when I saw the tag on this one.
$260.
Yes this was a consignment, but DANG!
Greg said he'd just put it out today!
There's quite a selection of used frontstuffers on the racks. More than I've seen in a LONG time.
So. My TCs:
.50 Thunderhawk ( actually, Baby Girl's now)
.50 Firehawk
.50 factory laminate Hawken ( percussion)
.50 Pennsylvania Hunter ( flint)
.54 Renegade ( percussion)
.50 Omega Z5.
Aaand, the required pics of the new girl...
Lost the green chair when we split the blanket.
Nice how the serial number is a full house! Good juju?
This should prove interesting...

Attachments

• 20220604_172930.jpg
    20220604_172930.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220604_172941.jpg
    20220604_172941.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220604_172959.jpg
    20220604_172959.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220604_173013.jpg
    20220604_173013.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks!
Just so happen to have a spare TC aperture sight... Was going to put it on my Pennsylvania Hunter, but that may change if this one shoots as nice as she looks.
To properly position the sight on the Hunter, I'd need 2 holes d&t'd in the tang. Otherwise it'd be WAY to low to zero.
Fingers crossed. My Firehawk is SUPERB with big lead. 10 in 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. The Lyman Plains 400 grain, a .54 lubed Ox Yoke wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. Chrono'd muzzle velocity 1350 fps. The 1-38 twist is a BEAUTIFUL thing!
But the recoil, in a rifle that barely hits 7 pounds is... noticeable?
My Hawken does acceptably well with full calibers. But she's FAR more accurate, and pleasant to shoot, with sabots.
A .530 ball is nothing to sneeze at, and .54 conicals ARE big.
I'm hoping for some FUN with this one!

Thanks!
Just so happen to have a spare TC aperture sight... Was going to put it on my Pennsylvania Hunter, but that may change if this one shoots as nice as she looks.
To properly position the sight on the Hunter, I'd need 2 holes d&t'd in the tang. Otherwise it'd be WAY to low to zero.
Fingers crossed. My Firehawk is SUPERB with big lead. 10 in 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. The Lyman Plains 400 grain, a .54 lubed Ox Yoke wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. Chrono'd muzzle velocity 1350 fps. The 1-38 twist is a BEAUTIFUL thing!
But the recoil, in a rifle that barely hits 7 pounds is... noticeable?
My Hawken does acceptably well with full calibers. But she's FAR more accurate, and pleasant to shoot, with sabots.
A .530 ball is nothing to sneeze at, and .54 conicals ARE big.
I'm hoping for some FUN with this one!
How fast you think that .530 round ball is going with that same 70 grain powder charge? Just curious because I recently acquired a 54. Haven't had much time to spend shooting it yet.

No RWS that I saw.
The ball should be doing at least 1600 fps. Will chrono it though.
I guess I really did step in it.
Still recovering from the sticker shock...
The couple times out with my 54, I shot 70 grains (V) of some old Goex 3f that I've had for years, along with the .530 ball and .010 cotton patch.

Haven't been to Dixon's in an age, so I decided to stop in and say " Hi".
Wandering aimlessly about, I spot an early Renegade caplock, in rather nice shape.
Humm... Don't NEED one, but it is an early ( no warning, 69xxx serial number, clean out screw) .54.
Cal. .54, not 'tuther way around.
Nice piece of walnut, and trivial handling marks. She does show some blueing wear on sharp edges. The lock is tight and the unset trigger is quite nice.
Her bore is practically perfect. Good crown and no obvious runout. She's been shot, but most of the bluing is intact.
The last few (!) Renegades I've bought were in the $475 to $ 525 range. Cap or rock, they're well thought of ' round here.
I almost had a stroke when I saw the tag on this one.
$260.
Yes this was a consignment, but DANG!
Greg said he'd just put it out today!
There's quite a selection of used frontstuffers on the racks. More than I've seen in a LONG time.
So. My TCs:
.50 Thunderhawk ( actually, Baby Girl's now)
.50 Firehawk
.50 factory laminate Hawken ( percussion)
.50 Pennsylvania Hunter ( flint)
.54 Renegade ( percussion)
.50 Omega Z5.
Aaand, the required pics of the new girl...
Lost the green chair when we split the blanket.
Nice how the serial number is a full house! Good juju?
This should prove interesting...
I haven't been to Dixon's in 30 yrs! Due they have a website?

The sticker shock was a HOOT!
I really did step in it though. Major grin factor!
My Firehawk does not have the QLA.
Google Dixon's muzzleloading and it'll direct you to the website.
I plan on at least starting with the 70 grain charge. I weigh mine though. I haven't found a rifle, regardless of caliber, that doesn't like that charge.

Latest posts

Back