Found another Renegade!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another .50 flintlock for $400 at my favorite "Den of Iniquity".
A modest amount of frizzen strikes, but the area around the vent shows little blueing loss from prime flash. The bore looks to have almost 100% blueing. Even the crown. Nicely placed vent too! Always a plus that!
Trivial handling dings on the stock. Serial number is about 20k higher than my current one.
Put her on layaway. Been seeing her there for a couple weeks. Perhaps this one's bore isn't quite so tight?
Renegades are fine rifles. The American Jaegers.
Should pick her up soon though. If she's a shooter, the search will be on for another T/C aperture sight.

Weeellll...
The original T/C frizzen is so soft, it SHATTERS agates on the first strike!
The frizzen screw is bent/ poorly made and am having a high time trying to get it out. Not the first time for this phenomenon...
This explains the new condition of the bore! I was hoping it would be an easier ram.
NOT.
It's actually HARDER! Once the sabot is about half way down, things ease a LITTLE bit.
I put the barrel on my other stock, aperture on the tang and toddled off to the range. Usual load. 70 grains of 3f Swiss, 250 grain .45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib.
Accuracy was EXCELLENT! 3 at 50 yards gave the smallest group of 7/16ths inch and the largest, an inch on the button.
Although the open sights, removed now, were in the same position as the ones were on the original barrel, point of impact was WAY low and a couple inches right.
Gotta get the lock squared away, and see what can be done to loosen up this new barrel a BIT.
If nothing else, I'll have a spare lock, or parts anyway, and a barrel. I might sell the stock, with wedge plates, triggers, triggerguard, 3 screw tang and buttplate. Not new, but decent shape. Will think on that.
Given my recent struggles with patched ball, I'm lovin' what I can do with the "other" sub- caliber adapter...
My days of flintlock fits are definitely coming to the middle!

Back