Don't have a lathe? A drill press can be handy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Working on my CVA Firebolt .45cal and decided to take a look at the Bolt.. Im tired of replacing O rings in the primer pocket, So I decided to take a look at the firing pin because it is huge and allows the primer to make a deep indentation and stick in place. My Winchester X-150 is the same way.

I don't have a lathe so I did it the best way I could think of and put the firing pin into my drill press on high speed and proceeded to use a single cut bastard file and carefully turn it down to a reasonable diameter.

Once I was happy, I polished the firing pin with 400 & 600 grit sand paper and then finished it with 0000 steel wool. Huge difference in how smooth that bolt functions now!

I'll have to go to the store at look at an assortment of bushings to put into the face of the bolt and then decide if I should turn the firing pin diameter a little smaller. CVA really used a huge firing pin on these guns and they really are messy with 209 primers.

If I remember correctly, I used both a brass bushing and later a plastic bushing in the face of the bolt on my last Winchester X-150 which did a heck of a job keeping the 209 primers blowby free.

So remember, if you do not have a lathe and the part is small enough... A drill press comes in darn handy to turn down parts and especially for polishing.
52259311.jpg

On occasion I had a similar issue with my .45 CVA Hunterbolt.  I'm guessing it had the same bolt action? :scratch:

I don't have a lathe so I did it the best way I could think of and put the firing pin into my drill press on high speed and proceeded to use a single cut bastard file and carefully turn it down to a reasonable diameter.
I've used my drill press for most small items needing to be turned, much faster setup in many cases over screwing around with my old lathe. Good choice of tools Jonathan. :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back