Dry fire ok?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
Is it ok to practice trigger control by dry firing my CVA Optima V2? I want to know if I will damage the firing pin or any other components by cocking the hammer and practicing trigger pull.

Re: Dry fire ok?

I would dry fire on a spent 209 primer if I was gonna do that. It shouldn't hurt the firing pin if you do that. IMO My Optima V2 trigger is really light and crisp, no creep, so there is not much need to practice for me. Just have to remember to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and of course keep the muzzle in a safe direction!

Something I do for trigger pull practice is take a spent primer and I used a knife and cut a small piece of tape the same size as the primer surface, it takes up the gap from the primer being pushed in and takes the blow from the firing pin, i do the same with my shot guns and it works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. That's actually why I want to practice, because it's so light. It's new and it's surprised me a few times. I want to get the feel.

Thank you for your time

Re: Dry fire ok?

On my TC Omega, I cut a piece of 1/8" thick leather to fit between the hammer and the firing pin -- and it seems to work well, cushioning the hammer fall and protecting the metal pin. Something like that might work for you, but I'm not familiar with your gun.

Old No7

Back