Ed' 45-340I Day Two

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't cast. I live in an apartment and it didn't seem like a good idea.

No problem. Lot's of bullets to choose from.

Thanks but I don't have a .45. It's ok. I'd have to buy them online to use them and I can see this bullet won't ever be that way.

Thanks again Ron - looks as if you’ve now tested 15 cast bullets with 80gV BH209 (340gr-540gr).
All the pure lead performed great with great weight retention.
The only ones that showed shear of nose/no expansion are the hard cast & NoEx.
Interesting data you have provided...
Thanks

What velocity was this bullet doing may I ask? Need to get me a crony,when I figure out a good one to get? Thanks.

That seems like a perfect deer bullet, but with that much expansion, I don't believe you'd get pass through on an elk. Although at longer ranges and lower velocity, it might. I often need a blood trail. I shot a cow with a pure lead 400 gr. bullet at 90 yards and got expansion just like that. It did not exit. She went 75 yards without a blood trail. My first muzzleloader cow, I made the mistake of aiming for her shoulder. The bullet sheared the ball of her shoulder and split in two. Luckily one went into her neck, and the other into her lung. She also ran about 75 yards. I'm assuming that some of you have shot elk with heavier pure lead bullets. Are you getting exit wounds?

That seems like a perfect deer bullet, but with that much expansion, I don't believe you'd get pass through on an elk. Although at longer ranges and lower velocity, it might. I often need a blood trail. I shot a cow with a pure lead 400 gr. bullet at 90 yards and got expansion just like that. It did not exit. She went 75 yards without a blood trail. My first muzzleloader cow, I made the mistake of aiming for her shoulder. The bullet sheared the ball of her shoulder and split in two. Luckily one went into her neck, and the other into her lung. She also ran about 75 yards. I'm assuming that some of you have shot elk with heavier pure lead bullets. Are you getting exit wounds?

I have shot three elk with my Slightly hardened Lee 500 S&W bullets. The calf I shot was through the shoulders pass through.
The cow I shot was in the shoulder. It crushed the shoulder and the bullet was found in the flank. The bull I shot last year I went for a high shoulder/spine. The bullet was found in the off side.
The bull dropped where he stood. With any other bullet I would not go for a shoulder. The bullet drops out at 458 grains.
I'm sure I could get a pass through on a lung shot in the 100 yard range on an adult elk. But with them so close to private land I need to anchor them.

Attachments

• 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201010_201928.jpg
    20201010_201928.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 13941.jpeg
    13941.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 12
Even if they're going slower Ron. Wouldn't the extra weight help expansion?

Maybe not now that I think about it.

btw...I'm thinking about the 420gr NE.
The 45 cal NE 385 grain bullet patterns well out of my CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum with 90 grains of 777. But it kicks like a mule. I bet those 420 grain bullets are gonna thump you even harder.

This bullet nose and darn-near entire conical design dates back to Elmer Keith in the 1960s and his early Keith nose molds date back to 1927.

I still have a few Keith Nose Precisions around 350gr. Don't recall if they're conicals or sabot bullets. I bought a size 13 shoe box full of bullets from Cecil one day. His single package assortment back in the early 2000s was huge.

Ed has been making quality products for close to two decades that I remember.
My hat's off to you Ed - in respect.

Ron's been testing - I think dating back to when Patrick roamed the Modern Muzzleloader halls with the Dirty White Boys. Heck, I even recall Randy Wakeman's first ML post-ever, over at the old CVA board - which seems like a hundred blue moons ago.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back