ENCORE SMI BARREL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZITON

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a encore "3 years old". Its in serious need of upgrading (stock trigger, etc.) I am planning on going smokeless this year. I haven't been able to find much on SMI barrels choice and cost. Can I get some suggestions for a upgrade?
Thanks
ZITON

A SMI barrel will cost $400 and a trigger job $80 from Mike Bellm. A new Savage from Natchez start at $399 with Accu-Trigger. To me it's a no brainer..... go with the Savage. :wink:

dwhunter,
What do you prefer about the way the Savage shoots over the SMI? What frame do you have the SMI barrel?

SW said:
dwhunter,
What do you prefer about the way the Savage shoots over the SMI? What frame do you have the SMI barrel?

I prefer EVERYTHING about the Savage over a breakopen style gun especially the lock time. :roll:

dwhunter said:
A SMI barrel will cost $400 and a trigger job $80 from Mike Bellm. A new Savage from Natchez start at $399 with Accu-Trigger. To me it's a no brainer..... go with the Savage. :wink:

$425.00 is the cost for an Encore. Another advantage to the Encore is picking your rate of twist. And also no vent-liners to mess with. Lock time is no issue for most hunters. :)

Actually the SMI - Douglas barrell is $319.

I'm not building mine on an encore. I purchased a Pardner Shotgun for $85 and it will cost me $319 for the Barrel, $60 for Choate stock, and $8 for a side-cocking piece so I can cock it with a scope.

All-in I'm looking at $472. Even with shipping costs its under $500.
And I have a douglas barrel.

It a matter of personal preference.

Both setups have great value. Cost wise anything to do with the Encore is going to be more expensive. That is a well known fact?To convert to a pistol takes hard earned monies. To add a slug barrel is as much or more that a two barreled set in an 870 pump gun. We who have owned Encores did not do so because they were cost effective! We own them for their look and quality. I?ve owned Encores two different times, each with pistol, muzzleloader, and shotgun configurations. Each time I sold them it was because someone was willing to pay me what I had in them because the liked the convenience of owning many guns in one neat package... If I had the Encore today my current SMI barrel would be on it instead of an NEF frame.

I also own two Savages, one is HB#106 and the second is a slightly used 10ML-II laminated stainless with accu-trigger. It will soon have an SMI barrel mounted on it. I really like my Henry Ball, it has value for its namesake and is a well made fine shooting firearm. Do I like my NEF/SMI? Yes it is a very economical entrance into smokeless powder muzzleloading and shoots lights out! Will I like my new project gun? Yes because I feel it will be the best of both worlds. But I will quote an old friend? No deer can live on the difference?.?

If you have a desire to shoot smokeless powder your heading in the right direction no matter what choice you make.

I look forward to hearing your progress.

As for lock time, in either case, it has never been a consideration in my decision. I would really like someone with the knowledge of the differences to give us a real world example of these differences. I can only figure it would be on longer than normal shots on a moving animal but maybe there is more. How much difference in time is it?

Enquiring minds want too know!

Indianahunter
HB#106
NEF/SMI shooter
All around gun nut!

Johnny Deer Man said:
Actually the SMI - Douglas barrell is $319.

I'm not building mine on an encore. I purchased a Pardner Shotgun for $85 and it will cost me $319 for the Barrel, $60 for Choate stock, and $8 for a side-cocking piece so I can cock it with a scope.

All-in I'm looking at $472. Even with shipping costs its under $500.
And I have a douglas barrel.

It a matter of personal preference.

What model Choate stock is that?

I dont know the name of the model, but it not the Varmint stock. Its the stock that look like the pardner shotgun stock, except its black synthetic.

dwhunter said:
SW said:
dwhunter,

I prefer EVERYTHING about the Savage over a breakopen style gun especially the lock time. :roll:
My point is : I think it would be rather difficult to declare one gun better than the other if you don't have experience with both. The internals and length of the SMI barrel are so different from the Savage that it is significantly different. I still wonder how definitive positions can be declared w/o experience with each item being compared/contrasted.

SW said:
dwhunter said:
My point is : I think it would be rather difficult to declare one gun better than the other if you don't have experience with both. The internals and length of the SMI barrel are so different from the Savage that it is significantly different. I still wonder how definitive positions can be declared w/o experience with each item being compared/contrasted.

That is the most obvious and easiest question of the year to answer. First, a personal preference was expressed, NOT a declaration of "one gun better than the other." Anyone can certainly state their personal preference-- your question was answered.

It is simple: if you do not like the looks, handling, trigger, action type, or stock type of the Encore at all there is no reason to think that another barrel will change your world. If you really do like some or all of these qualities-- then, there is no reason to think that you would strongly dislike it with another .50 cal barrel on it.

An example: I don't care for the Knight Revolution. I don't like the trigger, the cock on close action, the way the stock fits me, or the way it looks at all. A "quick release action" does nothing for me. That is my personal feeling, nothing further. You can make it a .40 caliber, a shotgun, put a smokeless barrel on it, whatever-- I'm just not going to be thrilled with prospect of owning one, period. :puke:

Some apparently do like the looks and ergonomics of it, and would likely be far more enthusiastic about a smokeless option, or other options for it than I am.

dwhunter said:
Randy, this is the initial post I was referencing. I happened to choose another direction. Many other satisfied SMI owners did also. Do we all have "no brains"? I am pretty certain you feel at least 1 of us fits that catagory.

There was never a commentary on this thread discussing any cranial content of specific gun owners-- until you injected it.

It was obvious that only a personal preference was mentioned, nothing further. How many smokeless Encores do you own, and how do you like them?

RandyWakeman said:
There was never a commentary on this thread discussing any cranial content of specific gun owners-- until you injected it.

It was obvious that only a personal preference was mentioned, nothing further. How many smokeless Encores do you own, and how do you like them?

Randy, There was nothing wrong with SW'S post. :? As far as people owning Encores and Savages i do. Based on what people are posting on the internet. The Encore would be a better Smokeless ML.

1- I can pick my own twist rate.
2- I dont have to mess with a vent-liner.
3- The gun would be lighter.
4- Easier to clean when needed
5- It has multiple barrels options.

If you already own an Encore this is great. If you dont, you would need a loan to buy everything. :)

RandyWakeman said:

I own exactly NO smokeless Encores; and for that very reason, I can't say that getting a Sav over a barrel for the Encore is a "no brainer".

Personally I am not that enthused about Encores. I don't care for exposed hammer rifles in general, as typically these have a longer locktime. I know locktime is not an issue to many ,but to me it is. Also as a general rule rifles with 2 piece stocks do not shoot as accurately as those with one piece stocks however there are exceptions. Triggers on Encores also leave alot to be desired on the ones I have shot. I certainly don't own one, but have shot enough to know I don't like them. There are plenty of shooters that do like them though and that is just peachy, but it is not the gun for me. But then again I don't like everything about the Savage either. The radial scratch marks in the bores of the stainless rifles, the fact that you must remove a stock screw to remove the bolt, the ugly barrel nut found on all Savage bolt guns, and the dimensions of the stock could use some work too. However between the two the Savage gets my vote.

Latest posts

Back