ENCORE SMI BARREL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dwhunter said:
A SMI barrel will cost $400 and a trigger job $80 from Mike Bellm. A new Savage from Natchez start at $399 with Accu-Trigger. To me it's a no brainer..... go with the Savage. :wink:

DWhunter, I will take the liberty of translating your comments a bit for the reading impaired:

In my opinion, the only opinion I am equipped with, just my opinion, not the opinion of anyone else, the way I view it (not necessarily reflecting the views of NBC, CBS, or the National Football League) the decision is a "No-Brainer."

For those not familiar with the spoken vernacular today, by "no brainer" to me I mean NO commentary on other people's personal choices. "No brainer" refers to an easy choice these days, and is not a discussion about anatomy. In no way am I suggesting that any particular individual, or those of any race, creed, religion, or political persuasion indeed do have vacancy of the cranium. That is not the point, as the possession of a brain is normally requisite to things like breathing and walking, much less the higher brain functions.

I'm giving one example, where at least from a strictly capital expenditure perspective, the purchase of a Savage seems to validate my personal opinion.

Please rest assured that the above disclaimer "to me" means "in my personal view, and does not necessairily reflect some or all of the views of the other individuals that may or may not be reading this thread-- which, of course, I have no independent knowledge of.

I appreciate the opportunity of expressing my personal opinion. E pluribus unum.

Footnote:

Interested parties may wish to note that the above use of E pluribus unum does not necessarily reflect the position of any other individuals on this board, either. It was the national motto of the USA. Translated from Latin, it means "Out of many, one," (or in a direct translation, "One out of more.")It referred to the integration of the 13 independent colonies into one united country, and has taken on an additional meaning, given the pluralistic nature of American society from immigration. The motto was selected by the first Great Seal committee in 1776, at the beginning of the American Revolution.

Back in 1956, "In God We Trust" replaced E pluribus unum as the USA's national motto according to US Code, Title 36.

Thankyouverymuch.

Thanks Randy, very well spoken. I do feel that since I own (2) Encores and (2) Savages that I know a little bit of how each operates and shoots. I have had several different barrels for each Encore and just changing the barrel does not change the gun into a miracle piece. Rifleman is right about hammer guns and two piece stocks generally not being as accurate but there is exceptions in everything. All else said you can change a barrel but you can't change lock time it is what it is and is important to me. While I have two Encores that are decent shooters(25.06 rifle &.243 pistol) a lot of time and money was spent getting them there. Are they my choice when it comes time to hunt? No, no and NO. If folks like a hammer gun to each his own. All I can do is speak from MY experience.

I have an Encore with 2 barrels and like them both.

I have two Savages and like them both.

I don't however like pumpkin pie. To me apple is a no-brainer.
If you like pumpkin you must be nuts. :wink:

RandyWakeman said:
Does anyone here have a smokeless Encore, or has ever shot one?

Randy that was a masterful use of the Queen?s language and the late great Roman Empire. While I've not spoken to anyone directly about their use of an Encore/SMI combination, on my most recent trip to Ron?s shop he and Dan pointed out an Encore project and a Savage re-barrel that were on the bench at that time. I believe I was to understand him to say he had done one other Encore barrel and one other Savage re-barrel to date.

So who are these mysterious people and where are they shooting this Encore/SMI combination?

Enquiring minds want to know!

I do believe we will have answers to the ?questions that bother us so? sooner that later as some of our brethren will be putting SMI barrels on their Encores this year. I have a feeling Ron and Dan are going to be very busy this year.

Now for lock-time,

I would be naive to say that a finely tuned bolt action, bedded in a premium stock with a floated barrel, loaded with fire-formed match grade ammunition in the hands of a true rifleman would not be the ultimate combination of precision and performance.

However, from the shooting bench to the tree stand I?ve not been able to discern a difference as both actions have netted similar outstanding results for me and other shooters using smokeless powder.

Any thoughts? 8)

I don't however like pumpkin pie. To me apple is a no-brainer.
If you like pumpkin you must be nuts. :wink:
I like the Apple but Doohan likes the pumpkins..... :lol: :lol: :lol: and why has there been no one come forth to say that they have a smokeless encore that they love or hate? probably because there are almost none out there- kinda hard to compare- and I wonder if TC with their warning on "smokeless in ANY MZ" would void the encore warranty because of people using smokeless powder?( even though an aftermarket BBL) :wink: [ A SMI barrel will cost $400 and a trigger job $80 from Mike Bellm. A new Savage from Natchez start at $399 with Accu-Trigger. To me it's a no brainer..... go with the Savage. ] I agree with DW on this.... Rick

Okay enough of this beating around the bush. The Encore is a piece of:
5a03bf18.jpg

ZITON said:
Hi All
I have a encore "3 years old". Its in serious need of upgrading (stock trigger, etc.) I am planning on going smokeless this year. I haven't been able to find much on SMI barrels choice and cost. Can I get some suggestions for a upgrade?
Thanks
ZITON

Hey, this thread has moved away from what you were hoping to find so keep an open mind and get what works for you! If you have questions about either gun PM me as I am qualified to answer your questions. I've shot both side by side and for that I can offer fact. Those who have not can only offer opinion!

Pat

Hey, this thread has moved away from what you were hoping to find so keep an open mind and get what works for you! If you have questions about either gun PM me as I qualified to answer your questions. I've shot both side by side and for that I can offer fact. Those who have not can only offer opinion!

Pat[/quote]
Thanks Pat
I'm not new to muzzleloaders But am new to smokeless MLs.
I will pm you about that.

Well you certainly don't have to shoot two rifles "side by side" to have a viable opinion. If you have shot both and know rifles you might just have a clue. Now I don't know everything, but I think I know a little about rifles. :wink:
But opinions, well now that's a whole different story! You don't have to have a clue to have an opinion, just ask Teddy Kennedy! But if you ask him I am sure he would be glad to profusely pontificate his professional points. Personally if I needed an opinion on irish whiskey I might give Teddy boy a phone call. But if I was asking about rifles, I might just ask a someone else. So hey thats whats cool about these boards, you don't have to know short Richard to give an opinion, as has been proven over and over and...
So the point? Read it all, eat a little salt! Surely it will make the
poohg9.gif

go down easier! :lol:

I have owned a TC Encore muzzleloader and liked the feel of the gun in my hands, comfortable weight, and quality of workmanship.It also was reasonably accurate at 100 yards.
As mentioned, the trigger was very poor and required a rework. I ordered a pull weight spring kit from BellM and installed it myself. Instructions for stoning were included and the resulting trigger was around 2.5 lbs. with no overtravel and very smooth.

I since sold the Encore and purchased my HB Limited. I have been contemplating another smokeless muzzleloader,SMI in particular, but I do not like the NEF action.I was thinking about an Encore action with an SMI barrel. Yes, this could prove expensive after all costs are tallied, but I did spend the money for my custom HB, why not a custom Encore! :D

ENCORE

Thanks CORVAIR
I will either build a encore +SMI or Ruger Model 1 +smi. If I can Ebay the ruger barrel I'll surely go with the Ruger. That's what is determining my choice.

Re: ENCORE

ZITON said:
Thanks CORVAIR
I will either build a encore +SMI or Ruger Model 1 +smi. If I can Ebay the ruger barrel I'll surely go with the Ruger. That's what is determining my choice.
I believe you will enjoy the quality and shooting characteristics of the SMI barrel. The 50 cal version is very well thought out. I think the twist andlength are very close to ideal for 250 and most 300g bullets. SB certainly seems pleased with his 45.

My current project gun is a Savage 10ML-II laminated stainless steel which will be re-barreled with an Douglas barrel from SMI. I was thinking a 26" with 1:32...but still not sure!

Ruger #1 - SMI Barrel - MPI fiberglass stock!
Trigger???

No Brainer! Only kidding....

But, I've been dreaming about building this gun.

Latest posts

Back