Enjoy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to here your starting to feel better. :lewis:
I know it hurts some to not be able to shoot and hunt. My Hunting season got squashed this year too. First Ohio season I will have missed in the last 37 years. šŸ˜¢

Hang in there Encore, hopefully they'll get it stopped soon. I can't imagine dealing with that in the meantime though.
All good thoughts coming your way.

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. Just hang in there a little longer and don't worry about this ML season, there will be next year and the years after that to enjoy it! šŸ™

I've learned that being an exception to the rules is not always a possibility. When everything and everybody stated a minimum of 8wks recovery, there was no joking involved.
I finally had my first decent nights sleep last night and it was the first full night in a bed. I've had to sleep semi-upright in a chair since surgery.
Some issues I won't report and maybe keep someone from getting sick :) I did get outside yesterday. I started the heater in the Ranger, warmed it up and the wife and I took almost a 2hr ride. Sure was nice to get outside.
Enjoy while you can...........

Good to hear you got out and about. Weā€™re all rooting for you. Keep us posted. :lewis:

Hang in there - thereā€™s no other choice. Hope your healing accelerates!

Thanks.
I have mornings, such as today, that I wonder why the hell I didn't take the blue pill.
Its only been 15 days of an 8wk recovery time :rolleyes:
2020 has sucked big time for a lot of people but particularly for you. I guess if you were going to have the surgery anyways this is as good a time as ever and you can move on to better times in 2021. Get well and take advantage of the down time to plot what you would like to do next year.

Hoping you have this behind you for good and can plan something nice in the near future!

Well I'll make an update....

Although it felt and still feels like its taking/took forever, I'm closing in on the end of the tunnel and the light is much brighter. Now I know there are much worse things, but this was certainly more than I bargained for. Reality is, this was one hell of a tough ordeal.

I've been able to sleep laying down now for about 5+ days and I'll just say this, what a relief that is from having to sleep in a chair! Although I have to flush my nose twice a day, breathing mostly unobstructed through my nose is quite the experience. I still have some minor nasal issues, also to be expected.

When they said 8wks, they meant it. The wife also reminded me that for what they determine is a total recovery time, is actually 6mo. Without complications, I'll breeze through the remainder of 6 months :)

Now some additional work has to start, first and foremost is trying to lose some of the weight I've put on. This Covid thing certainly didn't help, but all the steroids they had me on didn't help either. I packed on about 25# like someone handed it to me. So little by little I need some major weight reduction.

How long it'll last I have no clue, but it appears the ENT wants to vacuum every two weeks. I'm hoping this next weeks appointment is the last of that, but what ever it takes. NOW, there's a process that will make you PUCKER directly up TIGHT! I'll just say its a little intense.......... ;)

Still............... to anyone that may contemplate or require similar surgery, this is one tough ordeal to go through. If there are alternatives, review them clearly first. Choose wisely ;)

I missed opening day of muzzleloader season, the first time since it was started here in MI. I lived through it ;) I think I missed shooting the rifle between the seasons more than I missed opening day of muzz. I was able to put meat in the freezer using the xbow with that small 8pt, so all's not lost.

Been one hell of a year for all of us, even some of the younger folks. Mine started in Feb of last year with just the common flu, developing into the sinus issues. Five trips to ER over nose bleeds that needed ballooning to stop, electro cauterization and then all three nasal surgeries at once. Thankfully the wife and I are healthy and have remained Covid free.
Other friends and relatives this past year were not so lucky. Lost my oldest sister to cancer, while the wife lost a younger brother to a heart attack. Way to many friends and family members are suffering, or have suffered with cancer. Two great nieces that contracted Covid were extremely lucky and the symptoms were light and they recovered quickly. Both 19 years old.

Try this........... take a tape measure and run it out to 78" and hold your fingers there. Then place your other fingers on your age. As the average age of death in America is 78yrs, you can easily see what you've spent and have left, on average.

So........... ENJOY the health we have left and/or your youth. Do what you can now, as tomorrow is never promised. If you want that custom or specific type muzzleloader, go for it however you can. If you'd like to attend a shoot at Friendship, even just to watch, plan it. If the better half wants a trip to go some place, work to make it happen.

Interesting read. A few years ago, 02/23/2016 to be exact, I was exercising regularly, kind'a watching my diet and getting regular checkups with my doctor, for 61 I was do'n good. That morning I got up before daylight, rode my mountain bike 15 miles and got a shower, all before 7:00 am. I was feeling good, I had finally got below 200 pounds when I hit the scales that morning at 198.
Then the world changed. I took my grandson to school 2 miles away and while returning home I was sitting in the turning lane of US Hwy 65, a half a mile from my house. There was a long line of traffic and as I watched the last truck in the line I was meeting crossed into my lane and hit me head on at an estimated 65-70 mph. It knocked my truck 210 feet back and it landed on the drivers side. It took the EMT's a little over 2 hours to cut me out of the truck and get me in the ambulance.
5 days in the hospital, my left leg's tibia was split right done the middle and received a titanium plate and lots of screws and 4 broke ribs on the left, 5 on the right, bulging disk in my neck that sends lightning bolts down my arm at times and a collection of bruises that was truly impressive. 5 months in a hospital bed at home and 6 months of PT, I got rid of the wheelchair and crutches.
No more bike riding, no more walking and stalking to hunt and no more exercising hard enough to lose or even keep the weight off and I can pretty much forecast the weather with my left leg. All because of a 28 year old, in a borrowed 3/4 ton truck, with no insurance, was too drunk to drive at 7:50 on a Tuesday morning. Of course he walked away with only bumps and bruises.
All that was said to say, health issues are serious and can blind side us at anytime, especially as we get older, but even if we do everything right and have no problems, a quick early morning truck ride can change our lives, too. Don't take a minute of our lives for granted. It can all change in a heart beat.

s.JPGtruck crash .jpg the truck My truck on it's side , the one on the hauler in the background is the one that hit me.

i do it now do what i'm able every day to me is another don't worry much about tomorrow. Carried this home with me and have lived by it since Vietnam

Last edited:
When they said 6 months, they meant it.
Doing very well but still rinsing twice daily. I'm so used to it now, I might just keep it going (not really).
Unless something goes haywire, no more vacuuming and I'm glad about that. THAT process WILL make you pucker!
My last post-op visit is in May.

Had another darn issue pop up about a week ago, my shoot'n eye, the one that had the torn and detached retina and was repaired, yup, it aggravated the living heck out of me. Actually felt like there was a hair that somehow I couldn't flush out.
So..... today to the ophthalmologist to find out what the heck was wrong. Past couple days my vision was blurred in spots.

Doc put the deadening drops in, then looked through his equipment and said, "I'll be damned". Come to find out, it was a hair that had lodged itself into the inside of my bottom eye lid and the opposite end was aggravating my eye. That's no longer an issue :)

Take care of ourselves.............

Almost a month ago now, I ended up in the hospital over a weekend. I was so sick, throwing up like no tomorrow. After several tests it was determined that I have diverticulitis. A few weeks later and after several meds, I'm doing much better. Except for the crummy diet I'm on now. Can't eat any of the good stuff I always liked. Nothing against chicken and fish but enough already.
I'll be 68 in two months, hopefully I have some more good years ahead. Yes, every day is a blessing, enjoy for sure!

Almost a month ago now, I ended up in the hospital over a weekend. I was so sick, throwing up like no tomorrow. After several tests it was determined that I have diverticulitis. A few weeks later and after several meds, I'm doing much better. Except for the crummy diet I'm on now. Can't eat any of the good stuff I always liked. Nothing against chicken and fish but enough already.
I'll be 68 in two months, hopefully I have some more good years ahead. Yes, every day is a blessing, enjoy for sure!
You be careful with that. Been there also and had 12" of large intestine removed after a slight aneurysm. Fortunately I didn't have to wear a bag.
Again......... deermanok you keep careful track of that.

I've had diverticulitis twice and its no fun. The meds are no fun. This is a malady that can go deadly in a blink so mind the docs and their funky diets Deermanok.

I have Crohn's disease not quite the same thing, my body attacks itself and always in my intestines everything from swelled shut to ulcers bursting and almost making me bleed to death a few times. Anything to do with your gut do exactly as your dr says and don't try to just (man up) and think you can handle it. Prayers going out to you

Back