Entry level in-line muzzleloader for deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these models would you buy in my shoes?

• T/C Impact

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Traditions Buckstalker

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • CVA Wolf

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Something Else?

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
For the money and cost of a 209 plug, its hard to beat an Optima as an entry level gun. Shooting the 209 powder is night and day different from messing with T7 and/or Pyro/ real black. The gun shoots great with common sabots and bullets like XTPs and Deep Curls, both of which are super affordable. I have three CVA inlines and use the 209 plugs and powder and the only thing you might need is an o-ring every 30 shoots or so to help eliminate blow back.....IF the gun develops any.

All of my CVA inlines use plugs that are fitted with vent liners. Any powder in time will shoot out a plug and you'll get lousy accuracy when that happens. Plugs fitted for vent liners require only the $5.00 liner be replaced instead of a $30.00 plug. Lehigh offers a CVA plug for the Optima that uses liners and the replacement liners. Badger Ridge also offers the liners. I'm coming up on 400 rounds thru one gun and the liner is still not shot out. Most plugs will go to pot in less than the 400 rounds.

Again, to get an OPtima in the woods shooting 1" or less at 100 yards is still less money than an decent Knight and even Knights have little glitches that will be a cost after the purchase. To get started and familiar with everything that Optima is a super good starter arm .

I'll be frank. At this point, there is one thing holding me back from ordering an Optima.

For just under $400, I can buy a Buckstalker (I do hate the sound of the name though lol) that comes with a scope and everything else needed except for powder and primers. For the same amount of money, I can get an Optima with a scope, and am still left with at least $75 or more worth of supplies to buy. I know the quality is there, but with a wife to explain the bill to, it's difficult to justify...

2 models use this now including the Buckstalker. Its sort of like a bushing for the firing pin.
traditions-northwest-conversion-kit-209-2.jpg

I would ask myself 2 questions.
Why do i want a chromoly barrel when i can get stainless for virtually the same price?...The Wolf and Optima V2 are available in stainless. The others dont offer SS.
How much do i want to use Blackhorn209 powder?....The Traditions plug is the worst of the bunch and there is no aftermarket option for a BH209 plug.

The CVA also come with a scope mount so by the time you buy one for the Buckstalker you are about the same price as a CVA Optima V2
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/inline-muzzleloaders/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020sm.html
You will spend $40 or more adding rings and a base/s
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifl...traditionstm-buckstalker-cerakote-barrel.html

The Traditions plug works fine with Blackhorn 209. No need to spend more money for a BH209 breech plug like with CVA.
A Buckstalker with an included Traditions scope can be had for $199 if you look for sales.

Better buy a torque wrench too. My barrel came loose every 3 shots on my traditions. Biggest POS ever owned! Sorry but never again! Buy once and cry once. And if I hear my wife won't let me one more time I'm gonna puke!:bang:

Well... you guys convinced me. Looks like I'll be buying buying a CVA Optima V2. I managed to find one with a scope mount included for $260. I suppose I don't NEED to buy a new scope right away. I have a Barska 3-9x32 on my squirrel rifle that I could loan to the CVA for a while. It's not the best, but it's more than adequate until I buy another scope. Thanks so much for everyone's input, and I will definitely be back here again after my first range trip with it.

Ok, so I've been looking a lot at some reviews for the Optima and other CVA models. I am actually beginning to lean more toward the Wolf, mostly due to the attractive price point. I know the basic differences, like the cheek rest, the barrel length, fluted vs non fluted, different method to break the action open, etc.

While I do like the Optima more due to these features, as far as shooting reliability, quality, and functionality are concerned, I can't find much of a difference. A longer barrel would give me an extra 100 fps or so, which is fairly negligible in my opinion, especially with black powder, as I can tinker with load and bullet weight combinations anyways. Plus, the shorter barrel may be a bit of an advantage, as the hunting lands around here are infested with mountain laurel (if you've never tried to drag yourself through mountain laurel, consider yourself lucky... worse than pushing through a jungle in some areas, and I speak from experience in both situations) and the shorter barrel would allow a little easier maneuverability in the woods.

As far as I can tell, construction quality seems to be about on par for each rifle.

So besides the aforementioned features, is there really a significant performance difference between these two models? I was also thinking that the smaller size would allow me to get my daughter started in muzzleloaders as well, and be a bit less awkward for her.

Truth be told, if I buy the Wolf and like it, there is a good chance I'll end up buying an Optima or an Accura sometime down the line, and just give the Wolf to my daughter.

If you have a Walmart near you, and they still sell guns, they have some great deals on the Wolf. I bought one for my buddy for $200 and it included scope. This was back in the early spring though. Worth a look.

If you have a Walmart near you, and they still sell guns, they have some great deals on the Wolf. I bought one for my buddy for $200 and it included scope. This was back in the early spring though. Worth a look.

Yes, my walmart still sells guns. But they do not sell black powder guns, nor do they sell any black powder supplies whatsoever. No powder or substitutes, no bullets, no sabos, and no primers. So I'm stuck ordering online or going to (cringe) Dick's.

Here’s probably the best price on a wolf your going to find. I bought one for 167 here and I love it.

Attachments

• 841E45DB-C5F6-4C9D-9211-E9E56B5C6894.png
    841E45DB-C5F6-4C9D-9211-E9E56B5C6894.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 22
The Traditions plug works fine with Blackhorn 209. No need to spend more money for a BH209 breech plug like with CVA.
A Buckstalker with an included Traditions scope can be had for $199 if you look for sales.

Ive seen plenty of complaints about the Traditions plug using BH209 and just one look tells me the geometry is not as good as the others.

I’ll second this recommendation. I can get limited BP supplies locally but it is limited. Over the last several years I’ve almost exclusively made my purchases online from here. Being in Oregon I may be a bit biased as they are based here. I’ve never had and issues and products have always been on time or arrived before expected.

Customer service is great too. When I offered my Optima V2 NW edition I also ordered some round balls for my Pieta1858 pistol. Received a phone call from them wanting to make sure I didn’t make a mistake since the round balls were wrong caliber and didn’t go with all the other stuff I’d ordered for the CVA. They didn’t want me getting something by mistake. That’s great customer service.

As for I lines the Optima V2 is the only one I’ve owned. I chose it because of our hunting restrictions on the types of primers and bullets we can use. I also already had the V2 pistol and knee the quality of the build and it’s shooting capabilities.

For out of the box Blackhorn ready, iron sights until you decide on scope/mounts and a price point around $200. TC Impact .50 cal. That was my choice and I fear I made the correct one. Nice little rifle IMO. The hood/Breech release is actually handy and is a built in weather guard. You can see the Breech plug is well designed with a deep well for the powder. Rifle feels good stock and can be adapted for smaller shooter's.

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_213953458.jpg
    IMG_20191029_213953458.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20191030_113327242.jpg
    IMG_20191030_113327242.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191028_104825594.jpg
    IMG_20191028_104825594.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 11
For hunting I use a CVA Optima V2. I have found 80-85 gr. 777 under a 45 cal. Winchester Platinum Tip with sabot to be a less-than two MOA load. I really haven't played with much else beyond that. I own a bunch of those Winchester sabot projectiles that I bought at a very good price. I have not invested in any additional hardware upgrades. I clean with hot water and Ballistol. I like simple.

Could somebody perhaps point me in the direction of a source for 209 primers? Every site I check is sold out
I usually just buy off the shelf at cabelas. Its a once a year trip so i buy enough to last a year or more. I will only pay hazmat and shipping if its my only option, like when i buy #5 bh209. Or call any and all gun store near you. Hazmat $ can buy a lot of gasoline.

Back