Finally got to shoot BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richdeerht

Reaction score
Yesterday, I finally got to the range with my 3 inlines and BH 209. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

On my Encore, I got 3/4" 3-shot groups at 1oo yards with 100 gr BH 209 and a 200 gr Shockwave.

On my Disc Elite, I got 1 1/4" 3-shot groups with the same load.

On my .45 Black Diamond XR, I used 100 gr BH 209 and 200 gr Hornady SST. I got 1 3/4" 3-shot groups.

I did not have to wipe between shots. Loading effort remained reasonable. The biggest issue at the range on a warm day is barrel heat. With BH 209, it's just load and shoot. So, I had to pay attention to barrel heat and rotate the rifles.

All 3 are pretty much ready to go hunting. The "inline season" in PA is in October.

I am sold on BH 209 for 209 ignition inlines.

Your results mirror mine and for the VAST majority that try it! GOOD SHOOTING!

That's interesting that the Black Diamond XR handled the BH209. Was there any delay in the firing? I have a BD so I will have to keep that in mind should I ever come across any of that powder. Perhaps I will have to get one of my friends down in Southern Wisconsin to look at some of the large sporting good stores and then send it up with my brother.

I am fixing to try BH209 real soon. I already have the powder. I just need some time. Maybe this week. Really looking forward to a field shooting session.

richdeerht, I also have the Encore and plan to shoot some 200 gr. shockwaves. I plan to shoot my wifes disc elite in .45 cal and plan to shoot some Hornady 200 gr. SSTs to get ready for an antelope hunt. Since you had some good success with similar set ups, I was curious what 209 primers you used. Thanks for reporting. I plan to let you all know how my session went.

By the way, I have a question regarding the breech plugs. Prior to shooting, how tight did you tighten the plugs? Secondly, how hard were the plugs to get out? How clean were they? Did you have to lube them up?

I was using standard Winchester 209 primers.

Breechplugs- stock as-issued on both TC's. No ignition delays or problems. Breech area is pretty dirty on the Black Diamond. I think a better plug could be made for this gun, but it's certainly good enough to hunt with. On Disc Elite, I had the non-FPJ kit with a concave face plug. No problems here, either.
My breechplugs are all installed finger tight with anti- sieze. I have not cleaned the rifles yet or checked the plugs. I'll do that this week.

Check to see if there is a ring of carbon in the receiver area on the nipple side of the plug. I'm using the FPJ plug and am getting a carbon buildup that's very hard to remove in my Elite and LRH. I may switch to the NFPJ plug and see what happens. My barrel and breech plug is easy to clean up but not this area next to the threads. I taked to Don at Western Powders yesterday, and he has not seen this, though he stated he had not shot the Knights as much as TC and CVA. I have liked every thing abou the BH209 except this carbon ring. There is some carbon in the flashhole but it comes out with a drill bit. The breech plug cleans up eays with Hoppes, alot easier than 777 for me.

How about that stuff you put in your gas tank that runs through the fuel system and cleans out the carbon build up? I forget what the heck the stuff is called.

cayuga
My System One is the same set up as your Black Diamond I think it came out just before the Black Diamond and a win 209 and BH209 work quite well with a snug sabot, for some reason it is more sensitive to how tight the sabot is than the Triumph or the Omega it also has a little blow back while the other two don't have any. Lee
As a rule if they are tight enough for good groups they will work fine.

Back