Finding a node: accuracy vs. velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use all the components in my original post. I would agree that I probably found 2 nodes. I didn't shoot either of the top two loads (80.5 & 84) because it started snowing and the wind picked up. 66.5 & 73.5 both had vertical stringing with larger velocity deviations, 70 & 77 had small ES and touching shots. I'll be exploring both those areas in addition to shooting the higher charges next time I'm out.
Yes you can find multiple nodes as was posted . Around the peaks it May be helpfull with fine increments as youve seen with cf loading . No "formula" exsists for this that i am aware of . The "dyno" tells it pretty well completely for this . Too many variables to get much closer , but Trends may develop to be noteworthy .
Yes your primer leakage can turn into a significant issue in time . Id address that if i were you . Just sayin ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I did use all the components in my original post. I would agree that I probably found 2 nodes. I didn't shoot either of the top two loads (80.5 & 84) because it started snowing and the wind picked up. 66.5 & 73.5 both had vertical stringing with larger velocity deviations, 70 & 77 had small ES and touching shots. I'll be exploring both those areas in addition to shooting the higher charges next time I'm out.
Good to know :cool:

Look for the 3rd with the heavier charges, its there.

CVA Accura V2 50 cal. I carry the primer removal tool around my neck on a lanyard with my starter. Just part of life and it will always be there even if I figure this problem out. Hopefully the Lehigh plug solves this problem.
Does Lehigh make a plug for this rifle? I ordered two for my Savage ML10II and have been pleased, wait those were from Arrowhead... my bad

I think I saw it for under $30.00 plus shipping. Extra vent liners were around $5.00 ea

I think I saw it for under $30.00 plus shipping. Extra vent liners were around $5.00 ea
That’s about what I paid for the vent liners. Wish I had an EDM those would be super easy to make. Problem is drilling that deep, that small.

Want more examples ??
Yes please.

Please allow my response to the other points.

Actually there was no flame cutting going on, none.

The accepted maximum load for a Knight is 120 grain Blackhorn

Thousands, and thousands of shots using Blackhorn have been shot through my Omega rifles, without issue. Many deer ended up in our freezer. The bore diameter of these rifles is unknown still to this moment.

I'm having trouble finding an answer to what I'm searching for, hoping you all can help!

I'm about to head out to shoot my new-to-me 45 mountaineer. I'm going to start with the 275gr Parker BE's, .125" wool wads, CCI primers, and blackhorn 209. From what I'm seeing, most people recommend steps of 5gr by vol.

As a reloader if CF rifles, I usually start with 0.5gr increments, find an area of interest via velocity, then tune in at 0.1gr increments until I find my node still via velocity. Then I shoot groups with seating depth.

Does anyone use a Chrono to find their nodes with muzzleloaders or is it common practice to just shoot for groups because you cannot adjust seating depth?
yes Bestill does and is very good at it. I'm in process of learning it but don't seem to work as well with blackhorn on velocity

I tried to use land riding FPB bullets with Blackhorn powder and was getting failure to ignite. But I found success with a 1/8" wool wad between the bullets and powder. It definitely did provide the seal I needed in my Disc extreme. 50 rifle.
Tho I'm pretty new to using BH209 & full bore land riders, I got a lil help/advice as to what I should use & why. Bob Parker was a help with that when I bought 5 diff types of his bullets in 4 diff weights to test in my Paramount. So I listened & took his advice & got 1/8"dry felt wads with my order. I tried a group of loads with them then the group without them. I noticed a slight increase in MV with them but no diff in accuracy. Where I really learned something noticeably improving is using T7 or BP that using a .45 wad in my .40cal then just rolling the edge in bore butter starting the wad then settin the 10mm XTP 180grhp on top of the wad & arming them down together instead of what I've seen many do them separately. The tighter fit from the .45 wad in a .40 bore the MV increased to the level that I needed to drop back in my charge weight, but by just lubing the parameter of the wad I didn't create an issue of powder contam or the wad not stickin to the projectile & my follow up shot was much easier to load & the MV stayed really close as well as bore tension & down pressure on the ramrod stayed really close. IMHO that was the biggest help & learning experience. I even went and made my own stamps for .45 & .50 cal to stamp out the 12ga OxYoke lubed wonder wads BC I'm broke & outta wads. Kind regards all

Last edited:
I'm about to head out to shoot my new-to-me 45 mountaineer. I'm going to start with the 275gr Parker BE's, .125" wool wads, CCI primers, and blackhorn 209. From what I'm seeing, most people recommend steps of 5gr by vol.

Knight has a Youtube video that partially covers this topic. Around 110gr by volume appears to be a sweet spot with the Parker at around 2100fps from a Mountaineer 45 1-20. At this time for jacketed sabotless i would recommend either a polywad or Sage Brush veggie wad since they are the largest OD. Both are far cheaper than wool and will scrape the fouling down a little each time.

Last edited:
Shot this ,today , someone tell me the node , BH209 ,325xdl bullets , .060 veg wad, loose bullets. Fired straight thru , no wiping, about 42 degrees , Each string is listed under the Powder Charge

Attachments

• 20200331_150322.jpg
    20200331_150322.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
77.5grs has an ES of 81
78grs has an ES of 64
78.5 ES 46
79grs ES 65

I guess I'm wondering why you have such differences in velocity within each charge ?

The XLD jacket thickness is .021" IIRC on the bullet. How loose are they when you're loading them Bob ?
I think that is the difference but still think velocity is to unpredictable to really find node. will try again have some fury in 300 grain. I can load with two fingers

I think that is the difference but still think velocity is to unpredictable to really find node. will try again have some fury in 300 grain. I can load with two fingers
When this weather gets better, I guess I'll have to get the chronograph out. I do have a couple boxes of 300gr XLD bullets, but those I had plans for shooting SML, but could do a velocity check with 5 and BH too.
Are one of those charges your normal? IIRC you put the hurt on everyone with that same bullet last year in a silhouette shoot? A chicken at 500yds is a small target :)

When this weather gets better, I guess I'll have to get the chronograph out. I do have a couple boxes of 300gr XLD bullets, but those I had plans for shooting SML, but could do a velocity check with 5 and BH too.
Are one of those charges your normal? IIRC you put the hurt on everyone with that same bullet last year in a silhouette shoot? A chicken at 500yds is a small target :)
yes, but bullets were fitted last winter and think now too small , so will do two charges over with Fury , velocity was 2079 fps but bullets fit , 77 grains BH209 weighed. It also showed me , bullet fit has nothing to do with ignition

One thing to consider is the ballistic coefficient listed on Parker website is for mv of 2850. You are no where near that, and the actual BC will be a way less.
Yeah I saw that. Didn’t compensate for it at all I don’t think, but I would have guessed at 400 yards to be only a max of a foot or so. Gonna run some numbers quick and see what it shows....

Back