Finding a node: accuracy vs. velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw that. Didn’t compensate for it at all I don’t think, but I would have guessed at 400 yards to be only a max of a foot or so. Gonna run some numbers quick and see what it shows....
Boy was I wrong. I just plugged in some BS numbers, 1500 FPS a b.c. of 0.1 and 0.5 with a 300 grain bullet, over 80” almost 90” difference in trajectory.... that could be a HUGE miss at 400 yards, and was... my white .451 i don’t remember if it has a Nikon or Vortex on it, I can pretty much set the scope at 6.5 power and the dots work out up to about 300 yards. Point blank wise that is. Just shooting at small rocks and pumpkins :-/

Should have probably put those in a different thread. Sorry Jimmy for hijacking the thread....

Utahjimmy, watch this. I think maybe we’ve all been wrong. I would take what Jeff says, personally, as pretty much gospel.

Yes this reveals a few things , thanks Jeff and thanks sdporter . According to Jeffs testing im not off much . A little suprised tho to learn LRMP isnt so superior as id thought for bh209 . Good stuff .

Last edited:
Thank ya kindly for puttin that lil vid up for me. I appreciate it. Helpful hint, if I may, turn your phone sideways when shooting video. It gives a panoramic/wide screen pic instead of the reduced screen vertical pic. Kind regards
I finally figured that out, but I still forget occasionally

Knight has a Youtube video that partially covers this topic. Around 110gr by volume appears to be a sweet spot with the Parker at around 2100fps from a Mountaineer 45 1-20. At this time for jacketed sabotless i would recommend either a polywad or Sage Brush veggie wad since they are the largest OD. Both are far cheaper than wool and will scrape the fouling down a little each time.

I'm really curious as to why there is no talk that I've heard of or can find online about Knights 500??? If its really " all that off the rack " then, why is it pretty much a ghost in every/any ML forum? I was really considering buying one when & was shopping around last yr for a new .45 inline fast twist ML before I ended up getting the Paramount instead.

I finally figured that out, but I still forget occasionally
Oh yes sir, I understand that, sometimes I wish I could remember half of what I've forgotten. But then, I can't remember how much I've forgotten? We're all only human beings, & after a certain age, ya start gettin reminded of that a lil more regularly. Kind regards bud

Doug has one and has posted about it several times. Pretty sure one of the NMLRA guys on here has one also. He posted a pic of his not long ago in Lewis's Lee Shaver breakin thread.

Its probably a ghost because it cost 2 grand and not really intended as a hunting rifle. Its loosely based on the old 2006 Knight Extreme DE658B TARGET model. Main changes are SS vs blued and the stock is now a upgraded Boyds Pro Varmint. If you already had some of the common Knights parts you could build something similar using a Mountaineer barrel and either the 500 stock or get the Boyds and upgrade it with a bedding block yourself.
55150790-60ab-4a96-a38a-20ebd13fa7b9-jpeg.7883

DkqyIAf.jpg

Last edited:
Doug has one and has posted about it several times. Pretty sure one of the NMLRA guys on here has one also. He posted a pic of his not long ago in Lewis's Lee Shaver breakin thread.

Its probably a ghost because it cost 2 grand and not really intended as a hunting rifle. Its loosely based on the old 2006 Knight Extreme DE658B TARGET model. Main changes are SS vs blued and the stock is now a upgraded Boyds. If you already had some of the common Knights parts you could build something similar using a Mountaineer barrel and either the 500 stock or get the Boyds and upgrade it yourself.
55150790-60ab-4a96-a38a-20ebd13fa7b9-jpeg.7883

DkqyIAf.jpg
Thank ya kindly GM54-120 much appreciated. I have been reading the Lee Shavers thread but I missed the K500 pic. Perhaps I couldn't find hardly anything on it was I didn't know the " right places " to look I'm sure aided in my perception of it. I have never owned a Knight rifle. Up until recently my go to for hunting was a TC Omega I bought somewhere around 20yrs ago. So LR muzzleloading, .45 cal., & BH209 all are new to me. I'm really enjoying taking all this new to me tech & progress in ML's Thank you for always being a very helpful & reliable source of info. Guys like me really appreciate the heck out of guys like you. Kind regards

If you have ever seen the NMLRA score sheets for the inline matches you would see the Mountaineer 45 1-20 has held its own quite well against all others. Even Justin at Knight shoots his in competition and so does Barry IIRC. Many of us just cant justify the extra $1000 for a rifle that wont shoot much better. A 45cal 1-18 does have some advantages they just dont apply to me and 1-20 is easier on sabots if you choose to shoot them also. As far as i know a 1-20 will stabilize all 40cals offered that will fit in a sabot and nearly any 45cal bullet we would use with only a few exceptions.

4D3BAB2F-D6BD-4CAA-84A2-7684BFE9B0F3.jpeg
That guy looks familiar.
Brand new K-500, bare primer from factory, just got it the week prior to the 1st- M5 match (2015?) only sighted in at 100 & shot at 200 at home with chrono to verify velocity and BC. Data chart worked great.
85gr Swiss Black Powder, thin hard wad, my 530gr Paper Patch bullet. 5 shots at each distance 100-500, NO sighters on a less than ideal day.
This was the 400yd Target.
Good Shooting should not be difficult - play with loads until you get one that shoots well in your gun.

I’ll give Knight credit - they came to Friendship in 2013 and learned and keep returning.
The 1:20 came out after the K-500 1:18.
Friendship is where new age ML learned if Paper Patch and we’re told to thin the copper jackets to obturate the bullet - look where we are today..

Both the 2016 and 2017 catalogs only list the 45 1-30 but both list the K-500. Although we know there were 45 1-20 special orders made before the "official" release. IIRC the first batch were ordered by Mark Miller? Seems to me that was only 25 and the next run was 50? My "barrel kit" is just under #200.

Ok , after watching Bestills Message, here is a test run today with blackhorn by volume used my old Belden Mul and my black powder measure for volume. You should have no trouble finding this node. One difference was bullet fit. Shot two in the 120 volume load batteries died on Labradar. I have never had such string as the 115 by volume20200401_160328.jpg

I know the K500 was announced at the 2015 NRA Convention, I was there.
2017 sounds about right for the 1:20. They gave the first few to a few of us for our efforts. Mark M. was asking for them as a supplier, not sure what he got/sold.

Back