Firing pin stuck, cant remove bushing. any tips?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Well, looks like i messed up, my firing pin is stuck and I cant get to the bushing with a screw driver. Tried to slot a flat head but wasnt much meat on it by the time I get the slot wide and deep enough.

Do they make pre slotted screw drivers for this? Think a gun smth could fix this?

Last resort Im thinking I could get a dremel and cut out the firing pin and make the slot in the bushing a little deeper and get it out that way.

thanks

What toytruck said!

need more info! You are in the inline ML forum so I'm guessing it's an inline ML but need all available info. Make, model, SS or CM, slamfire or closed bolt or whatever, primer type, breechplug type, what were you shooting ie type and load powder/bullet, how long has it been in this condition, what condition of gun before this firing. So many things to know to try troubleshoot sight unseen. Can you post some pictures? Be glad to help but need more information. W

It sounds like your working on a inline with the mention of a bushing...if you are.. you may have to use a flat ended punch and see it you can tap it in so you can use a flat blade screw driver to get the bushing out...and replace both the firing pin and spring...not expensive..

now you want to figure why the firing pin stuck..as it should of retracted once it was fired...examine the bushing also as they can be replaced also...sounds like your working on a CVA but could be another brand also..but most brands have these parts available to be replaced...

spray a little rust breaker on the bushing and into firing pin hole also incase there is rust in there holding the pin out...

Yeah more info would have been smart :wall:

CVA optima v2

Its stuck because the gun had alot of blow back with 777 powder and Winchester 777 primers. But from what i remember the firing pin stuck out too far for the slot in the bushing to use a screw driver when I bought it (tried to remove it in the past but again, would have to slot a screw driver.

Guessing the pin and spring have some build up that rusted it out.

thanks

Spray a solvent, or windex, or some such on there; wait, then use a nail set to drive the firing pin out of the way of a screw driver. Probably have to soak it some to be able to turn the bushing loose.

To prevent blow back one could use one of these metric o-ring under the primer.

I had the same problem & called CVA CS. They sent replacement parts, firing pin, spring & bushing. After installing parts & lubricating, I also installed the O-Ring in the primer hole which completely stopped the blowback. The primers now come out clean and I estimate that the O-Rings will last 20/30 shots. I use the O-Ring on all 3 of my CVAs.

IMG_2743.jpg

blow back seemed to stop when I switched to CCA209M primers and blackhorn.

So should I just spray the primer or remove the stock and soak the action or awhile? thanks

sawtoothscream said:

So should I just spray the primer or remove the stock and soak the action or awhile? thanks

I believe that your problem is the firing pin, spring & bushing/housing. You need to get these 3 items out and cleaned up or replaced. When re-installing I would ensure that the parts are lubricated and that the bushing is flush with the rear surface. Get some O-Rings and put one into the primer hole which will stop any blowback.

Did you replace the breech plug when switching to BH209 or modify the original?

Travis299 said:
sawtoothscream said:

I believe that your problem is the firing pin, spring & bushing/housing. You need to get these 3 items out and cleaned up or replaced. When re-installing I would ensure that the parts are lubricated and that the bushing is flush with the rear surface. Get some O-Rings and put one into the primer hole which will stop any blowback.

Did you replace the breech plug when switching to BH209 or modify the original?

Bought the bh209 breech plug, wish I went with it from the start.

anyways, I soaked it and tried to hammer it in and it wont go down enough. Plan on replacing all the parts when/ if I get this bushing out. Think the only way im going to the pin down enough to use a flat head is if I just cut it out. feels like it cant go any lower.

You could try filing a notch into the screw driver blade so that it would fit over the end of the firing pin. On my Accura V2 the firing pin is completely recessed into the bushing & does NOT protrude into the screw driver slot on the bushing. Squeeze the trigger and push the hammer in and out which may help loosen up the firing pin.

The rear end of my firing pin sticks out about 1/8" before the hammer is released.

Travis299 said:
You could try filing a notch into the screw driver blade so that it would fit over the end of the firing pin. On my Accura V2 the firing pin is completely recessed into the bushing & does NOT protrude into the screw driver slot on the bushing. Squeeze the trigger and push the hammer in and out which may help loosen up the firing pin.

Tried this, think in the end im going to to cut the fire pin out, going to replace the spring, pin and bushing once I get this out (if I do :d'oh!: )

First, going to buy a cheap screw driver and a dremal and make a better slotted screw driver to try.

Most "screwdrivers" that you buy are Wedged shaped. Try getting a "Hollow ground" bit (Sides are flat not wedge) for a screw driver handle that used replacement bits. Most hardware stores carry replacement bits. Get one that fits the slot as close as possible and with a Dremel cut a notch. Then soak the bushing for a day or so with Kroil. If you have the stock off you might just soak the whole action in a container that has boiling water in it too, that will heat it all up. After soaking put the bit in the slot and tap on it a few good times with a mallet or hammer then use the screwdriver handle to try turning it out.

ShawnT said:
Most "screwdrivers" that you buy are Wedged shaped. Try getting a "Hollow ground" bit (Sides are flat not wedge) for a screw driver handle that used replacement bits. Most hardware stores carry replacement bits. Get one that fits the slot as close as possible and with a Dremel cut a notch. Then soak the bushing for a day or so with Kroil. If you have the stock off you might just soak the whole action in a container that has boiling water in it too, that will heat it all up. After soaking put the bit in the slot and tap on it a few good times with a mallet or hammer then use the screwdriver handle to try turning it out.

will give it a go, thanks.

I used a hand held impact wrench and a screwdriver bit after several days of soaking in Kroil . The bushing came out. I replaced with new firing pin and spring and bushing anti seize on bushing and o ring in primer opening. Size 60 o ring from Lowes or home depot plumbing dept. Works like new. Remove pin bushing and spring clean and lube after each use.

Latest posts

Back