First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody I know have Kowa scopes. Top quality. X
For $4,000 American it better be top quality. For that price, I could buy a target cam, plus a really good drone and still have money for supplies.

A guy showed up yesterday on the 600yd range with a BPCR and 505gr bullets. Trap door I believe. He did tell me that he has a Shilo Sharps rifle coming soon. First time I've ever seen another BP shooter on the range. He pulled out one of the target cams SME Bullseye Camera Systems Sniper Edition 1 Mile Target Camera System (midwayusa.com)
He hadn't shot with it yet. Thing works to a mile!
He set it up at 100 to shoot his new rifle. Wow did it provide a photo of his target, which by the way, he totally missed with his first round :) So then he pulls out a new, unopened sealed box with a brand new LabRadar!
I only shot a few rounds and didn't stick around to see if he ever got on paper ;)

For $4,000 American it better be top quality. For that price, I could buy a target cam, plus a really good drone and still have money for supplies.

A guy showed up yesterday on the 600yd range with a BPCR and 505gr bullets. Trap door I believe. He did tell me that he has a Shilo Sharps rifle coming soon. First time I've ever seen another BP shooter on the range. He pulled out one of the target cams SME Bullseye Camera Systems Sniper Edition 1 Mile Target Camera System (midwayusa.com)
He hadn't shot with it yet. Thing works to a mile!
He set it up at 100 to shoot his new rifle. Wow did it provide a photo of his target, which by the way, he totally missed with his first round :) So then he pulls out a new, unopened sealed box with a brand new LabRadar!
I only shot a few rounds and didn't stick around to see if he ever got on paper ;)
You can get a quality kowa for waaaaay less than $4000 bucks.
Some people get into the accessories a lot more than they need to. Time and money would be better spent on practice. The shooter you saw will be able to miss just as easily with his new Shiloh as he did with the trap door. A modestly priced quality spotting scope should pick up bullet holes out to 300 yds. if the berm in back of the target is light colored like sand and the mirage isn't bad. My Kowa is a straight 24X and is everything I could ask for.
Looks like the BIG WEEKEND for you is almost here! I'm really looking forward to your report and thoughts on your first L.R. match. X

Some people get into the accessories a lot more than they need to. Time and money would be better spent on practice. The shooter you saw will be able to miss just as easily with his new Shiloh as he did with the trap door. A modestly priced quality spotting scope should pick up bullet holes out to 300 yds. if the berm in back of the target is light colored like sand and the mirage isn't bad. My Kowa is a straight 24X and is everything I could ask for.
Looks like the BIG WEEKEND for you is almost here! I'm really looking forward to your report and thoughts on your first L.R. match. X
My target for 600 is totally white, short of the shoot-n-c. Its impossible to see bullet holes, even in white at 600yds. I could barely make out the bullets in the shood-n-c. I use the white meat wrapping paper and there's no way to see a bullet hole.
I hope the disc is really large on the targets this weekend.............

you don't need a spotting scope with anymore than 25 or 30 power and none variable, and none i know can beat a Kowa. Shiloh Sharps used to have one for 995

My target for 600 is totally white, short of the shoot-n-c. Its impossible to see bullet holes, even in white at 600yds. I could barely make out the bullets in the shood-n-c. I use the white meat wrapping paper and there's no way to see a bullet hole.
[/QUOTE It will be no problem seeing the target marking

The shot marking and scoring discs we used were 6 inches in diameter. No problem seeing them from 800-1000 yards away. The shot SCORING disc is placed in holes around the sides and bottom edge of the target.........see picture. When you are spotting, I would suggest you have a cheat sheet facsimile of this target so you know how to score the shot correctly by seeing where the scoring disc is located on the target. Remember.........the [black/white] shot MARKING disc goes in the bullet hole. The shot SCORING disc [red/orange] goes around the side/bottom edge of the target to indicate shot value. XDSC_0123 (3).JPG

I know its been 6yrs now but, I remember someone having a metal clip board with all the silhouettes on it. I think it was Steve C. that was helping me at the time by spotting. Each hit he would take a small magnet and place it where he seen my bullet impact.

45-70..... is there anything like that for this target?

I know its been 6yrs now but, I remember someone having a metal clip board with all the silhouettes on it. I think it was Steve C. that was helping me at the time by spotting. Each hit he would take a small magnet and place it where he seen my bullet impact.

45-70..... is there anything like that for this target?
yes , i had one once , it had laminate covered bulls eyes and silhouettes but can't remember where I got it. You might try google BPCR spotting boards

Well I fixed that problem with a quick trip to Dollar General. :dance2:

View attachment 21631
That would work fine if you were shooting 200 yards. That is the 200 yd. SR target. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the LR target you will be shooting.
The normal communication between spotter and shooter is usually short and sweet.
Example: George, your first shot for score is a 6 at 2:00..................your second shot for score is a 9 at 3:00 etc. etc. X

That would work fine if you were shooting 200 yards. That is the 200 yd. SR target. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the LR target you will be shooting.
The normal communication between spotter and shooter is usually short and sweet.
Example: George, your first shot for score is a 6 at 2:00..................your second shot for score is a 9 at 3:00 etc. etc. X
That is supposed to be an NRA 1,000yd target. I did a screen shot of the target and didn't resize it. I bought that pan and glued a piece of meat wrapping paper to it. I just printed out the target and taped it on. Not perfect but, it can be used as a visual.

Last edited:
That is supposed to be an NRA 1,000yd target. I did a screen shot of the target and didn't resize it. I bought that pan and glued a piece of meat wrapping paper to it. I just printed out the target and taped it on. Not perfect but, it can be used as a visual.
Wherever you looked they are incorrect. That is positively the 200 yard SR target. Compare that target with the LR target I post tomorrow morning. You probably got the SR target mixed up with the LR target. X

Pretty sure I have things together.............

1000yd setup - YouTube
That is just a LR repair center. See the pic for a full size LR target and the scoring system. Don't forget to add 2 foot "wings" on either side of the target. The total size of the target you will be shooting at will be !0 ft. wide by 6 ft. tall
Just for your info.
X ring....................10 inches in diameter
10 ring...................20 " " "
9 ring......................30 " " "
8 ring......................44 " " "
7 ring......................60 " " "
6 area.....................everything outside of the 7 ring to the edges of the target
Hope this helps. X 001.JPG

That is just a LR repair center. See the pic for a full size LR target and the scoring system. Don't forget to add 2 foot "wings" on either side of the target. The total size of the target you will be shooting at will be !0 ft. wide by 6 ft. tall
Just for your info.
X ring....................10 inches in diameter
10 ring...................20 " " "
9 ring......................30 " " "
8 ring......................44 " " "
7 ring......................60 " " "
6 area.....................everything outside of the 7 ring to the edges of the target
Hope this helps. X View attachment 21635
We'll only be using it as a visual reference...... IF ..... the shooter prefers. If a spotter tells me up 1.5 and left 1, I know exactly what to do.
I appreciate every bit of help! This is a new experience for every person shooting it. Its going to be fun.

Back