First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice set-up.
If I were you, I'd leave the funnel in the muzzle to intimidate the other shooters. It would look like a blunderbuss. X

That is supposed to be an NRA 1,000yd target. I did a screen shot of the target and didn't resize it. I bought that pan and glued a piece of meat wrapping paper to it. I just printed out the target and taped it on. Not perfect but, it can be used as a visual.
That is supposed to be an NRA 1,000yd target. I did a screen shot of the target and didn't resize it. I bought that pan and glued a piece of meat wrapping paper to it. I just printed out the target and taped it on. Not perfect but, it can be used as a visual.
a 1000 yd. target only has seven ring and rest that is left is scored a 6

We'll only be using it as a visual reference...... IF ..... the shooter prefers. If a spotter tells me up 1.5 and left 1, I know exactly what to do.
I appreciate every bit of help! This is a new experience for every person shooting it. Its going to be fun.
Remember one thing. Your spotter might know a lot less than you do about making sight corrections. He would have to know the dimensions of the scoring rings and be a fair wind reader to make good calls. You will learn a lot faster if you rely on your own judgement. There is nobody to blame but yourself. I've made enough bad calls on my own without somebody helping me. Take a shot, take a quick look at the wind flags to confirm nothing changed while you were taking the shot. Take a quick peek through your spotting scope at your reloading table to see the location of the shot. Make the sight correction you need BEFORE you return to your shooting mat, lay back down, check wind flags, NPOA, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, follow through, shoot an X. Repeat.

Other than early Saturday, it appears it'll be good shoot'n :snipe:

View attachment 21665
Good luck Encore! Please tell Hoppy that Paul Behe sends his best regards.
P.S. After the match ceremony is over on Sunday, ask Hoppy if you can have your scorecards. You can analyse them at home on what went right and what you could have done better. X

Made it back home safe. Might I just say that 1,000yds is a long way but, IT CAN BE DONE with 120gr VOLUME charges of BH209.

Bestill took some photos, I took a couple and Chris may have taken some. Maybe post them tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

We had a very good showing for the first time ever. We had to play the WIND which would change by 12moa from the time you got into shooting position and before you could fire.

I was blessed with 1st place with 253/2x
45-70 took 2nd
Bestill took 3rd

Made it back home safe. Might I just say that 1,000yds is a long way but, IT CAN BE DONE with 120gr VOLUME charges of BH209.

Bestill took some photos, I took a couple and Chris may have taken some. Maybe post them tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

We had a very good showing for the first time ever. We had to play the WIND which would change by 12moa from the time you got into shooting position and before you could fire.

I was blessed with 1st place with 253/2x
45-70 took 2nd
Bestill took 3rd
Did you shoot both days? Did you bring home your scorecards? Wind speed and direction? Need pics! need info! Spare no details!!! X

Like Jeff said, "If you want to be humbled, lay down in a wet grass field with cross sticks and fire away at 1,000 yds."

On Saturday we got through all but the last 1/2 of the last relay at 1,000yds. Unfortunately we were held up for a couple hours because of the military planes landing and/or dropping supplies by parachute. Bob and I didn't get to shoot our first rounds at 1,000. Jeff and Chris made it and we quit for the day. TIRED. So the 800, 900 and 1st half of the 1k was finished.
Sunday morning the weather reports were all calling for 90% rain and storms but, we were able to finish. Bob and I finished up quickly, much more quickly than the cartridge shooters. We did good in both shooting and doing it fast, as it just poured rain. It quit long enough that the cartridge guys were able to finish and they called it a day. That left two 1k relays that couldn't be shot for storms.

I'll say this, for all of us it was a learning experience. It was tough laying in wet field grass trying to hold still on cross sticks. The wind about drove us nuts. You might dial 6moa left after loading and watching the flags, but when you got into position, you'd dial 12moa back to the right. That's 120" change in that short of time! Then of course the wind might be in your face for the first couple hundred yards, then be either a full right or left wind half way to the target.

One thing for certain........... a 120gr VOLUME charge of BH209 WILL shoot to 1,000yds. IIRC both Bob and I were shooting the 350gr XLD's, Jeff was shooting 327gr Parkers and Chris was shooting 300gr Pittman bullets. With my 100yd zero, I needed 60.5moa for 1K.

Most ranges you shoot north, this one you shoot south. The wind was at 15mph+ but again, the direction could change at a moments notice, mostly from SE and then would change to SW. You HAD to keep up with the wind.

For none of us ever having fired at these ranges, especially from the position and the wind changes, IMO, we did excellent for the first time. Believe me though, its not easy laying in wet grass trying to hold center off cross sticks even at 800yds for the shot to break and it doesn't get any easier at 900 or 1,000yds.

I'm happy to say that Hoppy was impressed and he told us that from now on, modern inlines would become part of the program!!!! Now what needs to happen is, WE NEED MORE SHOOTERS TO SHOW! So we did it, we have a foot in the door for LONG RANGE shooting, just need shooters to show.

When the shooting started, everyone was pretty busy, regardless of their responsibility, so not a lot of photos.

Final score sheet.

final scores.jpg

1000yd score.jpg

1000yd score and me.jpg

Chris.jpg

Jeff setting up in the rain.jpg

score sheet for 800yds.jpg

score sheet for 900yds.jpg

Not sure who else took photos. Jeff poste on the Bestill Creations FB page a couple. Not sure what Chris may have taken.

THAT WAS FUN!!

Most of all...................... I had an OUTSTANDING time shooting with Jeff, Bob and Chris. What a great group to shoot with!
Good shooting to you and your squad!!! You guys have set the bar for future shooters to strive for. It is great when you have good squadmates. Good times to be remembered. Fishtailing head and tailwinds can drive you nuts. I feel your pain. Too bad you couldn't finish the whole match, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Did your ballistic program get you on target with the first shot at 8-9-1000? Kudos to Hoppy for making in-line M/L a permanent part of the program. X

Good shooting to you and your squad!!! You guys have set the bar for future shooters to strive for. It is great when you have good squadmates. Good times to be remembered. Fishtailing head and tailwinds can drive you nuts. I feel your pain. Too bad you couldn't finish the whole match, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Did your ballistic program get you on target with the first shot at 8-9-1000? Kudos to Hoppy for making in-line M/L a permanent part of the program. X
Yes, the programs got .... us .... on target. However, mine were a couple minutes off, always high. I thought it would be 42.5 at 800 and it ended up being 40.0moa The program told me 54moa at 900 and it ended up being dead on 50moa and of course at 1,000yds it told me 64moa and it ended up being 61.5moa. I think that 10-11moa per hundred was close.
Knowing what happened with them at 8 & 900, I started out with 61.5 with my first round and it scored a 9. When that 989 came up..... "I'LL TAKE IT FOR THE FIRST THREE SCORES"!!!

Without a doubt, the BC on the 350gr XLD's is much higher than that which I used. I found it amazing that all of the bullets shot went sub-sonic right at 800yds. Even going sub-sonic there, they continued to shoot well out to 1,000yds.

Again, I couldn't have shot with a better group of guys. We helped each other and we all learned. I will suggest to anyone wanting to try these ranges, you're going to need more than a 20moa mount. Chris had to hold over at 1K and Jeff might have made it but, was bottomed out??

Don't let anyone tell you that 120grs of BH209 by VOLUME won't shoot to 1,000yds. Note: That doesn't mean hunting.

Yes, the programs got .... us .... on target. However, mine were a couple minutes off, always high. I thought it would be 42.5 at 800 and it ended up being 40.0moa The program told me 54moa at 900 and it ended up being dead on 50moa and of course at 1,000yds it told me 64moa and it ended up being 61.5moa. I think that 10-11moa per hundred was close.
Knowing what happened with them at 8 & 900, I started out with 61.5 with my first round and it scored a 9. When that 989 came up..... "I'LL TAKE IT FOR THE FIRST THREE SCORES"!!!

Without a doubt, the BC on the 350gr XLD's is much higher than that which I used. I found it amazing that all of the bullets shot went sub-sonic right at 800yds. Even going sub-sonic there, they continued to shoot well out to 1,000yds.

Again, I couldn't have shot with a better group of guys. We helped each other and we all learned. I will suggest to anyone wanting to try these ranges, you're going to need more than a 20moa mount. Chris had to hold over at 1K and Jeff might have made it but, was bottomed out??

Don't let anyone tell you that 120grs of BH209 by VOLUME won't shoot to 1,000yds. Note: That doesn't mean hunting.
Forgot to ask..........Did you pair fire or each shoot your 30 minutes straight? Did you complete all your shots within your 30 minute time limit? I'll bet you forgot all about the 1 minute of spin drift with all the other stupid going on. One last tip. Go to harbor freight and pick up a 6x6 poly tarp to put down underneath your shooting mat. No more wet mat or clothes. X

Forgot to ask..........Did you pair fire or each shoot your 30 minutes straight? Did you complete all your shots within your 30 minute time limit? I'll bet you forgot all about the 1 minute of spin drift with all the other stupid going on. One last tip. Go to harbor freight and pick up a 6x6 poly tarp to put down underneath your shooting mat. No more wet mat or clothes. X
We pair fired and we were complete before 30 minutes. No issue with time at all. Absolutely we DID NOT forget about the spin drift but, the constant changing wind just nullified it.
The tarp is a good idea and Chris had one but for some reason it wasn't used. The mat I have did not get wet and must have some kind of backing.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939342825?pid=810574
Jeff had a pop-up canopy which kept our equipment dry. The cartridge guys set them up and had their mats under them. Not all but some. I had one and Chris had one but we only used Jeff's to keep equipment dry. The table I had worked perfectly and actually Jeff had one just like mine. We butted them together under the canopy while Chris had his back in a triangle setting. It worked out great and we were able to move around. Bob had an invention he used. A box kept his stuff dry....... well until that last rain when everybody got soaked.

Getting and staying steady on target with sticks is TOUGH. Especially with no rear support at 1,000yds. One thing we all agreed on though, was that if we had a rear support, everyone would be surprised at how tight a groups we could shoot. It was fun and what a great group to shoot with. Nobody was trying to beat anyone, just trying to do their best. If someone asked about a setting, it was shared without hesitation.

I'll say this, if I had a place to practice 1K, I'd learn to use my scope better when shooting in an ever changing wind. I'd use the moa marks more. It was FUN!

Back