First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We pair fired and we were complete before 30 minutes. No issue with time at all. Absolutely we DID NOT forget about the spin drift but, the constant changing wind just nullified it.
The tarp is a good idea and Chris had one but for some reason it wasn't used. The mat I have did not get wet and must have some kind of backing.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939342825?pid=810574
Jeff had a pop-up canopy which kept our equipment dry. The cartridge guys set them up and had their mats under them. Not all but some. I had one and Chris had one but we only used Jeff's to keep equipment dry. The table I had worked perfectly and actually Jeff had one just like mine. We butted them together under the canopy while Chris had his back in a triangle setting. It worked out great and we were able to move around. Bob had an invention he used. A box kept his stuff dry....... well until that last rain when everybody got soaked.

Getting and staying steady on target with sticks is TOUGH. Especially with no rear support at 1,000yds. One thing we all agreed on though, was that if we had a rear support, everyone would be surprised at how tight a groups we could shoot. It was fun and what a great group to shoot with. Nobody was trying to beat anyone, just trying to do their best. If someone asked about a setting, it was shared without hesitation.

I'll say this, if I had a place to practice 1K, I'd learn to use my scope better when shooting in an ever changing wind. I'd use the moa marks more. It was FUN!
Good job finishing on time!! The x-stick rules with no rear support is pretty much universal across the country. The main [only] reason is that everyone is on an even playing field. If a match is held in another state and all the rules are the same, nobody has an advantage. If there was a hodge-podge of rules there would be absolutely no uniformity between matches. Allow a rear rest, then somebody wants a bench, then somebody wants to use a lead sled etc. etc. etc.
You guys did good starting out the way you did. Keep it up. You WILL get better. The guys on my squad who use scopes are great ones for "holding over" and swear by it. They can make adjustments as quickly as the wind shifts. I've shot iron sights so long I've become fluent in twisting knobs. "Holding over" for me would be a recipe for disaster. Get a tarp anyway. If you are going to the pits and there might be a shower, you can clamp your tarp over your loading table to keep things dry. X

Good job finishing on time!! The x-stick rules with no rear support is pretty much universal across the country. The main [only] reason is that everyone is on an even playing field. If a match is held in another state and all the rules are the same, nobody has an advantage. If there was a hodge-podge of rules there would be absolutely no uniformity between matches. Allow a rear rest, then somebody wants a bench, then somebody wants to use a lead sled etc. etc. etc.
You guys did good starting out the way you did. Keep it up. You WILL get better. The guys on my squad who use scopes are great ones for "holding over" and swear by it. They can make adjustments as quickly as the wind shifts. I've shot iron sights so long I've become fluent in twisting knobs. "Holding over" for me would be a recipe for disaster. Get a tarp anyway. If you are going to the pits and there might be a shower, you can clamp your tarp over your loading table to keep things dry. X
IIRC there will be another in September, which I won't be able to attend. I'm supposed to get this right knee replaced at some point. I told the doc... NOT until after the match :)
Bob and Jeff handled the pits. They felt it not a good idea sending me there with all the up and down with a brace on. You know how you park behind the berm you shoot from? With only 1/2 of my left lung working, going up and down that really winded me. I finished the meds and IMO there's no significant change because of the meds. I see a pulmonary doctor in a couple days.
Old age isn't for the weak...........

We got our (in lines) foot in the door for a LONG RANGE match. Now what we NEED, are shooters. All these guys with "tack drivers" need to show up. One might think its intimidating or hard, but everyone is willing to help. Everyone. IT CAN BE DONE WITH PRODUCTION CHARGES!

Yes, the programs got .... us .... on target. However, mine were a couple minutes off, always high. I thought it would be 42.5 at 800 and it ended up being 40.0moa The program told me 54moa at 900 and it ended up being dead on 50moa and of course at 1,000yds it told me 64moa and it ended up being 61.5moa. I think that 10-11moa per hundred was close.
Knowing what happened with them at 8 & 900, I started out with 61.5 with my first round and it scored a 9. When that 989 came up..... "I'LL TAKE IT FOR THE FIRST THREE SCORES"!!!

Without a doubt, the BC on the 350gr XLD's is much higher than that which I used. I found it amazing that all of the bullets shot went sub-sonic right at 800yds. Even going sub-sonic there, they continued to shoot well out to 1,000yds.

Again, I couldn't have shot with a better group of guys. We helped each other and we all learned. I will suggest to anyone wanting to try these ranges, you're going to need more than a 20moa mount. Chris had to hold over at 1K and Jeff might have made it but, was bottomed out??

Don't let anyone tell you that 120grs of BH209 by VOLUME won't shoot to 1,000yds. Note: That doesn't mean hunting.

you shot amazingly well since being a first timer George. Would shoot with you any time. Hope all goes well with your health issue and maybe see you in Sept. at the all 1000 yd. Match. You know for not really calling wind for one another we did really well

you shot amazingly well since being a first timer George. Would shoot with you any time. Hope all goes well with your health issue and maybe see you in Sept. at the all 1000 yd. Match. You know for not really calling wind for one another we did really well
Congradulations on your second place finish 45-70! Sounds like your squad really worked well together. Good job! X

X-Ring...................

Suggestions for getting ROCK STEADY on the sticks? Yeah I know, more practice.

Steady equals tighter groups, or at least better scores. Here's what I was doing AFTER my position was correct......... Breathing caused extreme movement. Inhaling caused the crosshairs to drop, exhale brought them back up. I'd inhale and start a slow exhale and when the crosshairs came up and were on target, I'd stop the exhale and break the trigger. I know of no other way, so I'm open for suggestions.

X-Ring...................

Suggestions for getting ROCK STEADY on the sticks? Yeah I know, more practice.

Steady equals tighter groups, or at least better scores. Here's what I was doing AFTER my position was correct......... Breathing caused extreme movement. Inhaling caused the crosshairs to drop, exhale brought them back up. I'd inhale and start a slow exhale and when the crosshairs came up and were on target, I'd stop the exhale and break the trigger. I know of no other way, so I'm open for suggestions.
Well...........all I can tell you is what works for me. It is common for BPTR shooters to rest the barrel on the X-sticks. For me, there is about 6 inches of barrel in front of where it rests on the sticks............and yes, I know all about how you aren't supposed to do that because it totally screws up the barrel harmonics. If you have a thin, whippy barrel it is probably true, but our barrels are pretty fat. I can assure you that if had any effect on my rifles I would have stopped doing that years ago. Think of this though, if the barrel rests in the same place for each shot, won't the harmonics be the same or even dampened? I never lost any sleep over harmonics or lack thereof. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
The closer you have the X-sticks to you, the more wobbly you will be. You are probably resting the forearm on the sticks correct? Go in your back yard and try the way you have been doing it and then try putting the sticks about 6 inches from the muzzle. Only shooting will determine if it affects your accuracy with your rifle/load.
The higher you have the sticks, the higher you will be on your elbows. I learned a long time ago that for me, the lower I got, the steadier I became. I shoot really low on the ground with the sticks to match. Not every body can get as low as me because of differing body types [bigger tummies]. If you are compressing your diaphram it will feel like you can't breathe. It boils down to how low you can get and still be comfortable.
When I am in position ready to shoot, I am really locked into the rifle. By that I mean the rifle is really snug against my shoulder and my cheek is really pressed into the comb exerting pressure on my hand supporting the rifle against my shoulder. At 200 and 300 yards, the comb is high enough to have firm cheek weld. At 600 yds I need to strap on a riser to get my cheek up high enough to still have a really solid cheek weld. When I am in position ready to fire, I can assure you I am locked into the rifle.
Before I start my shooting sequence, I take 2 or 3 DEEP breaths, fully inhaling and fully exhaling. Take a deep breath, breath control let half of it out and hold, get the sight picture perfect and start the trigger squeeze. If it takes longer than 5-8 seconds to break the shot while holding my breath, I stop looking through the sight and look away at something and I repeat my deep breathing cycle and start over. I use iron sights but the same held true when I used a scope. If it isn't perfect, start over! When your lung issue is resolved things will no doubt be easier for you.
Accept the fact that the crosshairs will move no matter how steady you get. It's just a fact. However, you can reduce the movement to a minimum if you try different things. What works for me may not work for you but some of the things may help a little. It is the cumulative effect of all the little things that will make your groups smaller. And don't forget, more practice. [Sorry, I just had to say it.] Hope this helps a little. X

I get pretty low, low enough that my elbows are spread almost as wide as they would go. I'm not centered on my elbows, but resting more on the insides. Thank goodness for good elbow pads. I pull the rifle tight and hold it with my off hand, not my trigger hand. Thumb rests on top and is never wrapped around the stock (vertical grip).
I can try the barrel resting on the sticks to see what may or may not happen with accuracy and steadiness. I also will get off the scope if I feel I've been on it too long. I was taught that as a youngster by my dad.

Getting up and down with the brace on wasn't easy but it worked out. The brace isn't made for that and it did bruse my leg so I left it off Sunday. The lung issue did bother me, especially when having to go up and down from the truck to the top of the berm. Chris got a little concerned a couple times when I completely ran out of breath. He helped carry a few times too.

A couple things I know for certain. The 120gr VOLUME charge of BH209 will get you to 1,000yds. The Arrowhead 350gr XLD bullets, even going sub-sonic at 800yds, remain stable to 1,000yds. The rifle (DUMANIS) that Jeff built me is MORE than capable of much smaller groups at 1,000yds. Also, practice makes perfect they say, and when you know with a couple improvements, you'll tighten up the groups.

I get pretty low, low enough that my elbows are spread almost as wide as they would go. I'm not centered on my elbows, but resting more on the insides. Thank goodness for good elbow pads. I pull the rifle tight and hold it with my off hand, not my trigger hand. Thumb rests on top and is never wrapped around the stock (vertical grip).
I can try the barrel resting on the sticks to see what may or may not happen with accuracy and steadiness. I also will get off the scope if I feel I've been on it too long. I was taught that as a youngster by my dad.

Getting up and down with the brace on wasn't easy but it worked out. The brace isn't made for that and it did bruse my leg so I left it off Sunday. The lung issue did bother me, especially when having to go up and down from the truck to the top of the berm. Chris got a little concerned a couple times when I completely ran out of breath. He helped carry a few times too.

A couple things I know for certain. The 120gr VOLUME charge of BH209 will get you to 1,000yds. The Arrowhead 350gr XLD bullets, even going sub-sonic at 800yds, remain stable to 1,000yds. The rifle (DUMANIS) that Jeff built me is MORE than capable of much smaller groups at 1,000yds. Also, practice makes perfect they say, and when you know with a couple improvements, you'll tighten up the groups.
When I mean low, I mean like most of my chest is on the ground. My left forearm is flat on the ground. My left wrist and hand are barely off the ground supporting the rifle butt in the "pocket". I only wear an elbow pad on my right elbow. If I got any lower, the rifle butt would contact the ground. [hand or butt contact with the ground is not legal] Not for everybody, but it certainly works for me. I'll try to take some pics of my position this weekend. X

When I mean low, I mean like most of my chest is on the ground. My left forearm is flat on the ground. My left wrist and hand are barely off the ground supporting the rifle butt in the "pocket". I only wear an elbow pad on my right elbow. If I got any lower, the rifle butt would contact the ground. [hand or butt contact with the ground is not legal] Not for everybody, but it certainly works for me. I'll try to take some pics of my position this weekend. X
Here are some pics of my X-stick shooting position. Different body types may not be able to get that low. The pivot bolt on the X-sticks is about +-10 inches from the ground depending on the terrain. Note position of left arm. Forearm is flat on the ground. No elbow balancing. Note position of left hand supporting rifle butt in the shoulder "pocket". Hand is barely off the ground. Note position of right elbow and forearm. Pad is only on elbow to prevent abrasion from elbow rubbing on coarse canvas shooting mat during recoil. Note head and cheek FIRMLY on the stock.....good cheek weld. I don't wear a past recoil pad because I can't get a good "feel" of the rifle in the pocket. This position may cause some people to feel like they can't breathe because their tummy is pushing on the diaphram which is pushing on their lungs. Also, if your heart rate is up, you may feel your pulse in the diaphram pumping you up and down. Everybody has to find their happy place behind the sticks. Keep experimenting with your position until you are as steady as you can get.The last picture is of my scoresheet of a 200 yd. SR target I shot at the BPTR state championship a couple of weeks ago. The X ring is 3 inches in diameter. P.S. It also helps a lot if you make screwy faces when you shoot. X

Attachments

• DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0140.JPG
    DSC_0140.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0141.JPG
    DSC_0141.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Doc today...........

Started with an infection.
Turned into Bibasilar Atelectasis.
Then turned into Asthma.
Breathing treatment helped some.
Shot in the ass helped more.
First time relaxed in over a month.

Xring.... I'll have the wife take a couple photos of me on the sticks. I did check the sticks out and I'm no higher than 10"

Back