First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g8 can't be right that is close to artillery usage
What you have to do is to convert your current BC to G8 using this......... JBM - Calculations - Drag Function Conversion (jbmballistics.com)

JBM will save your last data. You would go to the link in JBM above and your data should show there. Set the new drag function to G8 and hit calculate.

It will give you on the bottom left the NEW BC to use but, when you go back to or original and put in the new BC, make sure you change it from G1 to G8

i must be missing something, you are faster then me and you need more elevation and have based your BC on, like i said I'll know when i shoot 500, how did you arrive at that

Its only 20fps faster than yours at 2250fps. I'm using a heavy wool wad though. I'm also only converting .410 to G8 and not the .446 BC which for me will require more elevation. Other than that I have no clue.

I see now but i am still lower on moa at 60
What you have to do is to convert your current BC to G8 using this......... JBM - Calculations - Drag Function Conversion (jbmballistics.com)

JBM will save your last data. You would go to the link in JBM above and your data should show there. Set the new drag function to G8 and hit calculate.

It will give you on the bottom left the NEW BC to use but, when you go back to or original and put in the new BC, make sure you change it from G1 to G8
i didn't use that , i used the other one based on velocity known from my lab radar 10 yds 2225 and 100 yds. 2063 , G8 is .247, and that is something like 3 moa difference

so theory is use g8 for long pointed flat base bullets

so theory is use g8 for long pointed flat base bullets
That's what has been suggested. Another shooter who shoots mostly SML made the comment that he talked with Kyle Pittman about long range and Kyle suggested he convert and use G8 also.
I won't know exactly until I shoot out to 600yds myself and that may be awhile if this weather doesn't straighten out.

at the Range today , using my drop chart and at 500 yds. dope on both are same for a 500 yd. setting put in 15 MOA and fired at Ram , both hits elevation is good at 500. the trick is which to believe at 8,9, and 1000. that is where difference is by the dropcharts using .247 and .446 BC

at the Range today , using my drop chart and at 500 yds. dope on both are same for a 500 yd. setting put in 15 MOA and fired at Ram , both hits elevation is good at 500. the trick is which to believe at 8,9, and 1000. that is where difference is by the dropcharts using .247 and .446 BC
Are you using a 200yd zero?

My chart was with a 100yd zero.
Its always the same up here, snow, rain, snow, rain, brief sun, snow, rain this time of year. Sooner or later it'll dry up enough to zero the rifle here at home and then do what "X" suggested, time myself. I'll be shooting 200gr FTX bullets with a light charge of BH for practice here at home. When the range opens I'll start shooting the XLD's and put a chart together to 600yds.

most likely will pair fire , 2 people at same target, one shoots while other loads , guy that runs the match is little lenite on helping new shooters

most likely will pair fire , 2 people at same target, one shoots while other loads , guy that runs the match is little lenite on helping new shooters
I just got a reply from Hoppy, the match director. The targets you will be firing at will be the regulation NRA L.R. 800-900-1000 yard target with the round bullseye. He will use 2 foot wide "wings" on either side of the target making it 10 feet wide by 6 feet tall. For your information the scoring rings are:
X ring..........10 inches wide
10 ring........20 inches wide
9 ring...........30 inches wide
8 ring............44 inches wide the X-10-9-and 8 ring are the black bullseye.
7 ring............60 inches wide
the 6 scoring area of the target is all the rest of the target. The 7 and 6 area are the white part of the target.
To convert to minutes this makes the target 6 minutes wide from the center of the X ring to the right or left side of the target and 3 1/2 minutes tall from the center of the X ring to the top or bottom of the target. This is for 1000 yds. Don't forget that a minute is 9 inches at 900 yds. and 8 inches at 800 yds. Knowing the dimensions of the target will allow you to make fairly accurate sight sdjustments to get into the X ring. This I why I used the grid charts [pictured previously] until I got comfortable with making sight corrections without referring to them. X

I just got a reply from Hoppy, the match director. The targets you will be firing at will be the regulation NRA L.R. 800-900-1000 yard target with the round bullseye. He will use 2 foot wide "wings" on either side of the target making it 10 feet wide by 6 feet tall. For your information the scoring rings are:
X ring..........10 inches wide
10 ring........20 inches wide
9 ring...........30 inches wide
8 ring............44 inches wide the X-10-9-and 8 ring are the black bullseye.
7 ring............60 inches wide
the 6 scoring area of the target is all the rest of the target. The 7 and 6 area are the white part of the target.
To convert to minutes this makes the target 6 minutes wide from the center of the X ring to the right or left side of the target and 3 1/2 minutes tall from the center of the X ring to the top or bottom of the target. This is for 1000 yds. Don't forget that a minute is 9 inches at 900 yds. and 8 inches at 800 yds. Knowing the dimensions of the target will allow you to make fairly accurate sight sdjustments to get into the X ring. This I why I used the grid charts [pictured previously] until I got comfortable with making sight corrections without referring to them. X
Some match directors have a facsimile of the target scoring system printed on their scoresheets, some don't. When a spotter sees the target come up he can refer to the pictured "cheatsheet" to see what value the shot was by looking at the location of the scoring disc. The shot value numbers are located on the left, bottom, and right side of the target. Remember, the black/white shot marking disc goes in the bullet hole........ the orange/red shot scoring disc are placed in holes around the edge of the target according to what the value of the shot was. You will note the "M" [for miss] on both the lower left and lower right corners of the cheatsheet. If the shot missed the target completely,the pit guy would place one orange/red marking disc in each bottom corner of the target. I usually make copies of the cheatsheets to give out to new shooters to help avoid confusion when it's their turn to spot. I would strongly recommend you use one until you get perfectly familiar with the scoring system. Because you are using the official NRA L.R. target, 10 shots for score, a perfect target would be 100-10X. Remember.....X's count as 10.
For what it's worth.......In NRA black powder target rifle, at your first match you are "unclassified".
In a 10 shot for score match, 80 and above is a master class score, expert is 70-79, sharpshooter is 60-69, and marksman is 59-0. Since this match is totally new, I don't know if this will apply but at least it is a baseline for you guys to be aware of. Moving up in class is always a fun goal to strive for.
Hope these little insights help someone! XDSC_0119 (3).JPG

Some match directors have a facsimile of the target scoring system printed on their scoresheets, some don't. When a spotter sees the target come up he can refer to the pictured "cheatsheet" to see what value the shot was by looking at the location of the scoring disc. The shot value numbers are located on the left, bottom, and right side of the target. Remember, the black/white shot marking disc goes in the bullet hole........ the orange/red shot scoring disc are placed in holes around the edge of the target according to what the value of the shot was. You will note the "M" [for miss] on both the lower left and lower right corners of the cheatsheet. If the shot missed the target completely,the pit guy would place one orange/red marking disc in each bottom corner of the target. I usually make copies of the cheatsheets to give out to new shooters to help avoid confusion when it's their turn to spot. I would strongly recommend you use one until you get perfectly familiar with the scoring system. Because you are using the official NRA L.R. target, 10 shots for score, a perfect target would be 100-10X. Remember.....X's count as 10.
For what it's worth.......In NRA black powder target rifle, at your first match you are "unclassified".
In a 10 shot for score match, 80 and above is a master class score, expert is 70-79, sharpshooter is 60-69, and marksman is 59-0. Since this match is totally new, I don't know if this will apply but at least it is a baseline for you guys to be aware of. Moving up in class is always a fun goal to strive for.
Hope these little insights help someone! XView attachment 20820
Dang gremlins! P.S. there is no 5 on the NRA L.R. target and the 8 ring is black but the scoring system is the same.

THE RANGE WILL BE HOT WITHIN THE HOUR :)

First time behind the muzz since the wife was injured last summer. I hope I still know how its done!

A couple fouler shots of 70grs W and 200gr FTX's, then on to the 350gr/120grsV over the chronograph. Only 100yds today. Need an average velocity.

I just finished cleaning the rifle. Lots of rust but not on the rifle......... ya can tell I need the trigger time.

Center is the first five shots at 107yds with 120grs VOLUME of BH and the 350gr XLD. There was a single shot prior to get the scope on zero from replacing the mount.
Diamonds on the right are 3 rounds each. Had a little trouble holding still I guess.

Bottom left target is again 3 rounds however with exactly 84grs WEIGHT.

darn photo.jpg

I learned a little something about the 350's and BH. Swabbing the barrel between rounds with the 50/50 mixture and a barely damp patch brought my SD down considerably. Its darn tough IMO to get into single digits........

4-10-22 84grs exactly by weight.png

Last edited:
have you chec
I just finished cleaning the rifle. Lots of rust but not on the rifle......... ya can tell I need the trigger time.

Center is the first five shots at 107yds with 120grs VOLUME of BH and the 350gr XLD. There was a single shot prior to get the scope on zero from replacing the mount.
Diamonds on the right are 3 rounds each. Had a little trouble holding still I guess.

Bottom left target is again 3 rounds.

View attachment 20849

I learned a little something about the 350's and BH. Swabbing the barrel between rounds with the 50/50 mixture and a barely damp patch brought my SD down considerably. Its darn tough IMO to get into single digits........

View attachment 20850
Have you checked your dope?

ESTIMATES.............

I'll start with one or the other when the range opens and use the closest out to 600yds. Adjust the BC to match the actual drops.

G1..................................

G1 BC w 350gr w 84grsW.jpg

G8....................

G8 BC w 350gr w 84grsW.jpg

Latest posts

Back