First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "next guy" is shooting at a different target of his own. Are these targets next to each other?
Encore........You will be on a 4 man squad. As 45-70 stated, there will be 2 shooters and one scorer. One man in the pits. Everybody takes their turn in the pits. The 2 shooters will be "pair firing" with a 1 hour time limit. You shoot then get up to reload while shooter #2 gets in position and shoots. he gets up to reload and you get in position and shoot etc. etc. Neither of you should take up more than 30 minutes of the hour for your sighter shots and 10 shots for score. When 60 minutes are up, the relay is over. Then, depending on the "pit schedule", you will either remain on the line and spot/score, or head for the pits to pull targets.
All 4 people on your squad fire at your assigned target which will be identified with a big number. As you can see from the picture, targets are side by side......each squad on a different target.
Where I shoot, there are 2 different discs used for scoring. Both are 6 inches in diameter. The "shot marking disc" is inserted in the bullet hole in the target. Ours are black on one side and white on the other. The black side goes on the white area of the target, the white side goes in the black area of the target. This makes the shot location visible to the shooter and spotter. The other disc is a "scoring disc". Ours are either red or fluorescent orange. The target will have places to put the scoring disc to let the shooter and scorer the value of the shot.
The pit person will hear a shot hit the target. He will then pull the target down and locate the bullet hole. He then inserts the shot marking disc in the bullet hole and places the shot scoring disc in the correct place to mark the value of the shot. He then runs the target back up. The next shooter fires. The target puller pulls the target down. He pulls the shot marking disc out of the last shot fired and uses a paster to cover up the old bullet hole. He then inserts the shot marking disc in the new bullet hole and places the shot scoring disc in the correct place on the target to mark the value of the shot. He the pulls the target up and awaits the next shot. Repeat. Repeat. It takes longer to read this than it does to do it. There may be slight variations at this match and I'm sure 45-70 will correct me if needed. I have only fired on the standard NRA LR target and not the ones with the square bullseye.
When the one hour relay is up you MAY spend another hour in the pits pulling targets or go back to the firing line to score or shoot.
Bring snacks, drinks, and rain gear if necessary.
Hope this helps X

The "next guy" is shooting at a different target of his own. Are these targets next to each other?
we will be pair firing they call it. 4 men to a target . one scoring , one in pits and two shooting at same target. so on to next target same thing. Targets are all in a row next to one another , easy to cross fire

Encore........You will be on a 4 man squad. As 45-70 stated, there will be 2 shooters and one scorer. One man in the pits. Everybody takes their turn in the pits. The 2 shooters will be "pair firing" with a 1 hour time limit. You shoot then get up to reload while shooter #2 gets in position and shoots. he gets up to reload and you get in position and shoot etc. etc. Neither of you should take up more than 30 minutes of the hour for your sighter shots and 10 shots for score. When 60 minutes are up, the relay is over. Then, depending on the "pit schedule", you will either remain on the line and spot/score, or head for the pits to pull targets.
All 4 people on your squad fire at your assigned target which will be identified with a big number. As you can see from the picture, targets are side by side......each squad on a different target.
Where I shoot, there are 2 different discs used for scoring. Both are 6 inches in diameter. The "shot marking disc" is inserted in the bullet hole in the target. Ours are black on one side and white on the other. The black side goes on the white area of the target, the white side goes in the black area of the target. This makes the shot location visible to the shooter and spotter. The other disc is a "scoring disc". Ours are either red or fluorescent orange. The target will have places to put the scoring disc to let the shooter and scorer the value of the shot.
The pit person will hear a shot hit the target. He will then pull the target down and locate the bullet hole. He then inserts the shot marking disc in the bullet hole and places the shot scoring disc in the correct place to mark the value of the shot. He then runs the target back up. The next shooter fires. The target puller pulls the target down. He pulls the shot marking disc out of the last shot fired and uses a paster to cover up the old bullet hole. He then inserts the shot marking disc in the new bullet hole and places the shot scoring disc in the correct place on the target to mark the value of the shot. He the pulls the target up and awaits the next shot. Repeat. Repeat. It takes longer to read this than it does to do it. There may be slight variations at this match and I'm sure 45-70 will correct me if needed. I have only fired on the standard NRA LR target and not the ones with the square bullseye.
When the one hour relay is up you MAY spend another hour in the pits pulling targets or go back to the firing line to score or shoot.
Bring snacks, drinks, and rain gear if necessary.
Hope this helps X
Good job

45-70 I was wondering...........on the square bullseye target, is the maximum score for 10 shots 50 or 100?
If you don't have scoring rings, what is score value of the different parts of the target?
Also, I'm guessing that if a bullet hole breaks a scoring area on your target, the shot receives the higher value, correct?
Hang in there encore. After 2 minutes in the pits you'll get the hang of it. If in doubt of anything, just ask your neighbor. X

4" of rain in the past 2 days here and this morning 2" of snow. Yeah, its Michigan ;)

They sent out emails that the range roads are closed until further notice. With little snow this year, I'm hoping they open the roads earlier than "normal". It won't be long now I hope and shooting should begin.
I should have went into the pits at Lake City with Bob, but the knee surgery and remaining there an hour might have been too much, plus the 4hr ride back home.

45-70 I was wondering...........on the square bullseye target, is the maximum score for 10 shots 50 or 100?
If you don't have scoring rings, what is score value of the different parts of the target?
Also, I'm guessing that if a bullet hole breaks a scoring area on your target, the shot receives the higher value, correct?
Hang in there encore. After 2 minutes in the pits you'll get the hang of it. If in doubt of anything, just ask your neighbor. X
I can't remember but believe , max is 50, or could be 40 , I know it isn't 100 .

Today at Oak Ridge 300 yds.277363304_10221519976455049_5158351062475499256_n.jpg

got mine today and really like looks of them. Encore what is diameter of your bullets
.452" I've sized them to load in a clean bore at 18# after running them through the die 3 times. I lubed them to size and after sizing cleaned each off with alcohol squeaky clean.

just got back from range got a zero, 120 grains by volume BH 209 .015 wad, 350 grain XLD Arrowhead bullet,Will be very pleased 20220403_135544.jpgwith this load

recoil is a little more but not like I thought with the heavier bullet , i used same charge as 325, actually the rifle seemed to like the heavier bullet. I got on paper at 100 and then zeroed at 200. Yes it was about 3.25 moa. I ran ballistic chart , i hope what says is true. Jbm says BC to be .446 but haven't confirmed

recoil is a little more but not like I thought with the heavier bullet , i used same charge as 325, actually the rifle seemed to like the heavier bullet. I got on paper at 100 and then zeroed at 200. Yes it was about 3.25 moa. I ran ballistic chart , i hope what says is true. Jbm says BC to be .446 but haven't confirmed
Not sure but the advertised BC might be .440? I ran it by Jeff and maybe its likely closer to .410 at these velocities?

I communicated with a couple ELR CF shooters and I was advised to convert the BC from G1 to G8. I did that with a known 300gr XLD bullet and the chart was basically spot on to my actual known drops to 600yds.
This is the chart converted to G8. Is it close to yours?

Note: Windage is spin drift ONLY. Zero wind.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 173055.jpg

well i used the lab radar and the velocity fed into jbm for BC I'm using what popped out but nothing is in stone until you shoot it
no mine was higher , will find out when shoot 500. difference between .440 and .446 is almost no difference

Last edited:
g8 can't be right that is close to artillery usage

Latest posts

Back