First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotters? Say a brother in law was to come spot and/or watch. Is that acceptable? Anyone you know stay on the base?
yes , they can come and watch, Yes , quiet , a few , some use campers also, I have never done so can't tell you much on that, Hoppy can inform you more than me. I would say 3-4 of International Muzzle Loading Team stay on base for the shoot. Who ever comes with you has to have their name on Roster also. Usually you will be paired by fours to a target. Two will shoot, one in pits pulling target and one scoring.

Just wondering.............is there a berm in back of the target butts or is it flat ground.

With a 10 foot wide target, I don't think windage [left or right] misses would be a problem as long as you have a good no wind zero. Misses could be a problem if you don't have good elevation sight dope. Since the target is only 6 feet tall, a shot 37 inches high or low from dead center will miss the target. Seeing where the bullet impacts behind the target butts if you miss can be of great help to the shooter if the target puller is paying attention. If you miss low and hit the top of the berm,the target puller may have dirt thrown on his head, hear a thump as the bullet hits the dirt, or hear nothing at all. The location of misses can be relayed via radio to the spotter/shooter. I'm sure 45-70 is very familiar with this stuff.
I know that the velocity of Encore's bullets will be much higher than the lumbering BPC bullets I'm used to shooting so some of the above may or may not apply at this match.
At any rate, it will be a ton of fun and a great learning experience. X

................................. I know that the velocity of Encore's bullets will be much higher than the lumbering BPC bullets I'm used to shooting so some of the above may or may not apply at this match.
I'm ...... assuming .... at least until I can verify it, that shooting the 350gr XLD bullet and 120grs VOLUME of BH, I might get 2,100fps mv. The weather up here is (was) straightening out and we've lost most of the snow. Next couple days we'll get that stuff that's now in MN and WI.
I have absolutely ZERO place to actually practice 1k. I've talked to a couple farmers and asked locally but, 600yds is the best I can do. That said, it appears I'm going to have to work at my ballistics program significantly harder than normal.
I (we) do have to worry about spin drift, which might be close to 1.2 to 1.5moa with zero wind. A full value 10mph wind would be more like 13 - 14moa.
Lots of work and none of it easy.

Just wondering.............is there a berm in back of the target butts or is it flat ground.

With a 10 foot wide target, I don't think windage [left or right] misses would be a problem as long as you have a good no wind zero. Misses could be a problem if you don't have good elevation sight dope. Since the target is only 6 feet tall, a shot 37 inches high or low from dead center will miss the target. Seeing where the bullet impacts behind the target butts if you miss can be of great help to the shooter if the target puller is paying attention. If you miss low and hit the top of the berm,the target puller may have dirt thrown on his head, hear a thump as the bullet hits the dirt, or hear nothing at all. The location of misses can be relayed via radio to the spotter/shooter. I'm sure 45-70 is very familiar with this stuff.
I know that the velocity of Encore's bullets will be much higher than the lumbering BPC bullets I'm used to shooting so some of the above may or may not apply at this match.
nope that is the bad part , and is why the extra width and is flat way beyond the pits

I'm ...... assuming .... at least until I can verify it, that shooting the 350gr XLD bullet and 120grs VOLUME of BH, I might get 2,100fps mv. The weather up here is (was) straightening out and we've lost most of the snow. Next couple days we'll get that stuff that's now in MN and WI.
I have absolutely ZERO place to actually practice 1k. I've talked to a couple farmers and asked locally but, 600yds is the best I can do. That said, it appears I'm going to have to work at my ballistics program significantly harder than normal.
I (we) do have to worry about spin drift, which might be close to 1.2 to 1.5moa with zero wind. A full value 10mph wind would be more like 13 - 14moa.
Lots of work and none of it easy.
don't worry so much about the spin drift and such , mirage will get you quicker than wind and it does get windy , and no one else has a place to practice either

don't worry so much about the spin drift and such , mirage will get you quicker than wind and it does get windy , and no one else has a place to practice either
I've been talking to one of the characters that's planning on attending and it ..... appears .... that he's found a place to practice.
I'm hearing that it can be very windy there. I'm sure shooting is north and therefore a west wind.

Do you have any idea how many inline shooters plan on attending?

far as I know for sure is me and Jeff Fisk , and maybe 3 from Tenn. no way of knowing, Do you know fellows last name ? Maybe Chris Kenny?

Yup.....don't worry about spin drift, coriolis effect etc.

Wind deflection and mirage are your main concerns. Get a shot on paper at 800 and correct for windage and elevation to hit center. From there on at 900 and 1000, it's two elevation changes. I think you have access to a ballistic program, correct? If you feed in the right dope, your come-ups to 900 and 1000 should be pretty close and get you on paper on the first shot.
Just a suggestion. Don't bring a bunch of computerized print-outs for windage and elevation settings to the firing line. Set your sights before your relay and go from there. K.I.S.S.
It sounds kind of obvious but don't forget to write down your sight settings when you come off the firing line, then set your sights for the next distance.
After my relay, I always make a note of the wind direction and velocity and how many minutes of windage I put on the sights. Keep records. X

But........ spin drift is real and you have to allow for it. Jeff and I have had considerable conversation concerning spin drift even at 500yds. I will admit that I've not trusted the software for spin drift and allowed for only 1/2 of what the program said. I found out quickly I should have paid more attention.
I will have my setting written down but on the bench. Heck I might just be able to remember my 3 elevation settings (Yeah right).

Here's an example of my not trusting the software when it comes to spin drift. Instead of using a full minute as the program provided, I decided I'd only use a 1/2moa. As you can well tell, I should have used the entire 1moa. I have more faith in the programs elevation for some reason. However, with only 600yds to do any practicing on, I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'll have to shoot all ranges to 600 and adjust the bullet's BC accordingly. Then I should be very close at the LONG ranges.

IMG_2031.JPG

Yup.....don't worry about spin drift, coriolis effect etc.

Wind deflection and mirage are your main concerns. Get a shot on paper at 800 and correct for windage and elevation to hit center. From there on at 900 and 1000, it's two elevation changes. I think you have access to a ballistic program, correct? If you feed in the right dope, your come-ups to 900 and 1000 should be pretty close and get you on paper on the first shot.
Just a suggestion. Don't bring a bunch of computerized print-outs for windage and elevation settings to the firing line. Set your sights before your relay and go from there. K.I.S.S.
It sounds kind of obvious but don't forget to write down your sight settings when you come off the firing line, then set your sights for the next distance.
After my relay, I always make a note of the wind direction and velocity and how many minutes of windage I put on the sights. Keep records. X
I agree because other things you need to concentrate on

you shooting from bench?
Me? Only to zero the rifle at 100yds then work off the shooting sticks I made just to get used to shooting prone and off the sticks. Once I get used to that as best I can, the club range should be open. On the club's range I'll have to create my chart only to 600yds. I'll adjust the bullet BC to where it matches the drops. From there all I can do is use the software data at the match for 8,9 and 1K.

Do the guys in the pits mark your targets after each shot/hit? IIRC when I watched them shoot at Lake City, they put some kind of marker where the bullet hit ?????

Yes , guy in Pits Marks your hits , but then , next guy shoots , your group is not marked only one shot at a time , you will have to learn this marking system. He then on next shot , pulls previous mark and puts paster over the hole , and marks new shot and score

Latest posts

Back