First deer with the paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to take my 1st deer with my Paramount last night. A medium size doe. Even though it is rifle season here in Pennsylvania, I decided I would use my Paramount for an antlerless deer (also, to justify to my wife why I spent so much money on a muzzeloader😉), being as I shot my buck in archery. I'm a little concerned with the amount of damage that the bullet did. Shooting 250 gr. Fury star tips with 105 gr. BW of blackhorn. Thankfully it tucked in behind her shoulder, but it literally removed most of her lungs and laid them on the ground behind her. I found fragments throughout the deer as well. I know it hit rib, but is this typical performance that I should expect? Thank god I didn't touch her shoulders. Btw, she still ran 80 yards before piling up.

Attachments

• 20211208_204415.jpg
    20211208_204415.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211208_204432.jpg
    20211208_204432.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 53
I shoot the 250 star tip, in several rifles that's my results also borders on animal cruelty doesn't it, I love that bullet it's my desert island bullet!!
My only concern was if it had drifted forward, and caught shoulders. I'm pretty sure it would have ruined it all.

Maybe we should rename it ,,the open window through the rib cage bullet what's great for me is that bullet just shoots a hole in my rifles accurate and devastating
If you look closely you can see grass and what looks like stomach matter around the exit hole. The stomach and diaphragm was not punctured. The only thing I can think of is it created a vacuum and pulled it out of the esophagus.

Maybe we should rename it ,,the open window through the rib cage bullet what's great for me is that bullet just shoots a hole in my rifles accurate and devastating
Well, that pretty much solidified my decision for trying those out. I have been looking around for some copper jacked bullets to shoot and had pretty much decided on those but now that it get such glowing reviews for you all…I’ll definitely be ordering some

Well, that pretty much solidified my decision for trying those out. I have been looking around for some copper jacked bullets to shoot and had pretty much decided on those but now that it get such glowing reviews for you all…I’ll definitely be ordering some
I’d like to shoot Barnes but I can’t find any in .40 cal to shoot in a .45 cal bore with sabots

I too share your concern regarding the potential damage to the meat had you hit her in the shoulders. Thru the ribs like you did there really isn’t much meat loss. I would like to see what the bullet looked like after it exited the deer.
I’m shooting the 265 StB in my Paramount, but have not shot a deer with it yet. I prefer the broadside double lung shot because it wastes almost no meat, but I’d hate to blow one or both shoulders into jelly pulp with bone fragments interspersed it I hit a few inches too far forward.

I was able to take my 1st deer with my Paramount last night. A medium size doe. Even though it is rifle season here in Pennsylvania, I decided I would use my Paramount for an antlerless deer (also, to justify to my wife why I spent so much money on a muzzeloader😉), being as I shot my buck in archery. I'm a little concerned with the amount of damage that the bullet did. Shooting 250 gr. Fury star tips with 105 gr. BW of blackhorn. Thankfully it tucked in behind her shoulder, but it literally removed most of her lungs and laid them on the ground behind her. I found fragments throughout the deer as well. I know it hit rib, but is this typical performance that I should expect? Thank god I didn't touch her shoulders. Btw, she still ran 80 yards before piling up.
Congrats on your 1st Paramount kill. I'm superduper happy for you.

Back