First of many days with the 50 cal fast twist smokeless trying to establish Harvester smooth or ribbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tighten the screws up that were loose one more little group with the 300 stb red tip new bullet from Fury in the smooth black Harvester 50 cal 22 twist smokeless 59 grains of IMR 4198 I shot three shots and click the scope right shot three more I consider that load that bullet in that rifle to be a success and worth coming back and tweaking on to the next bullet so far 275 Fury star tip and the 300 grain STD both showing excellent accuracy consistent not just one group, conditions today are beautiful Fair Skies have a constant wind blowing from right to left about 12 mph recoil with no muzzle brake get your attention but nothing too bad plastic could probably stand even one more maybe two more grains but in the accuracy Department this sure is good as I mentioned we'll come back and visit this

Attachments

• 20240129_135338.jpg
    20240129_135338.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
And here's the next bullet first group this is a new Fury also it has a green tip 300 grain I don't think Dennis necessarily designed and built a bullet to shoot and plastic but again this will be the third Fury bullet looks like it's going to shoot less than MLA also I'll shoot two or three more groups with this bullet too the third bullet before I move on to another one and I'll come back to all three of these and tweak for accuracy in the future but right now it sure looking good

Attachments

• 20240129_145546.jpg
    20240129_145546.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 0
Tighten the screws up that were loose one more little group with the 300 stb red tip new bullet from Fury in the smooth black Harvester 50 cal 22 twist smokeless 59 grains of IMR 4198 I shot three shots and click the scope right shot three more I consider that load that bullet in that rifle to be a success and worth coming back and tweaking on to the next bullet so far 275 Fury star tip and the 300 grain STD both showing excellent accuracy consistent not just one group, conditions today are beautiful Fair Skies have a constant wind blowing from right to left about 12 mph recoil with no muzzle brake get your attention but nothing too bad plastic could probably stand even one more maybe two more grains but in the accuracy Department this sure is good as I mentioned we'll come back and visit this
Heck yeah, that’s a great group for a hunting gun

275 Fury star tip, the 300 stb new bullet and this green tip bullet 300 grain 452 both shooting very well with plastics again we'll come back and tweak later on 300s stb is in the middle with the red ball ,Yes red folks,, and the green tip 452 shooting days with IMR 4198 59 grains Harvester black smooth short

Attachments

• 20240129_150523.jpg
    20240129_150523.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I shot Pittman accumax 325 grain right before dark yesterday again with the same load of 59 grains of IMR 4198 that is bullet number four shooting sub Moa actually it was four shots right at a half inch two of them in the same hole I will not keep posting pictures because it's eating up all of my data right at 100 rounds down range four bullets with IMR 4198 all shooting less than Moa no tweaking on the loads at all I was really concerned with the finickiness of a 50 cal smokeless after reading so many people with the Savage rifles some very successful and others having trouble and many of the Savage owners pulling the barrels and buying a 45 Cal Barrel this is just an initial observation the 50 cal smokeless at least this particular Barrel 22 twist Douglas has not been finicky at all I can't help but wonder if we gave up on the 50 cal smokeless because of inconsistent barrels from Savage if you think about it all of the 451- 458 bullets that are available really the versatility is in a 50 cal smokeless there aren't as many bullets to size for bore but bullets that can be shot in plastic are endless maybe if we approach 50 cal smokeless looking for accuracy and practicality instead of high speed we would realize more how practical it is in a practical sense it makes more sense than a 40 cal because of bullet options I'm going to shoot every bullet I can find that I have in stock and I am going to shoot some sized bullets also,, I cannot help but bring out this point again muzzleloaders in America are so skilled at taking what we are given and making the best of it sometimes we're not given the best up front maybe the 50 cal Savage rifles didn't make it because of poor barrels I don't know the answer to that and I'm not talking about the barrels blowing up thing everything I go back and read on the 50 cal Savage rifles some people that had them had accurate rifles and some people did not the did nots often rebuild the 45 which I don't blame them,, but it doesn't mean that the 50 cal smokeless got a fair chance,,, again in a day where bullet supplies primers powders Etc are difficult to find it just seems like it makes sense in a practical View to have a 50 cal smokeless that can shoot so many bullets as to the faster twist issue so far I don't have a 24 setting here to compare to but the 22 is really shooting well my purpose is not to prove that anyone's 24 twist rifle will not shoot I know they do and they will I just keep asking myself is this the best?

One other observation and I'm sure everyone realizes this, the orange, the yellow, the red sabots , are worthless shooting smokeless, even though a couple of them are labeled for that, now I'm not shooting a wad or sub base yet,, Harvester black short or long smooth or rib are the way to go.

Five shots 250 Shockwave which I guess is a same thing as the SST so we don't have to wonder what this 22 twist does with the lighter bullet this is five shots again the same charge 59 grains of IMR 4198

Attachments

• 20240130_154917.jpg
    20240130_154917.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It's a very fun rifle to shoot so far it shoots everything I've put in it a couple of the bullet groups almost look like they've been size to fit the bore the 325 grain bullet a shot right before dark last night 1/2-in group but it got your attention I'm glad I didn't shoot it at the beginning of the afternoon the 50 cal recoil signature is a little longer it's not as sharp as the 45 to me you need to follow through a little bit more shooting more the next couple of days can't wait some different bullets I'll come back and visit all these later on the gun and the plastic really like 59 grains I'm going to keep feeding that to the bullets to come for a while

lol... start of this thread you're burning 39 grains of IMR4198. Now you're up to 59 grains. I'll bet the recoil signature is a little....punchy.

You're right, it was 39 grains of SR4759. My bad. I saw IMR4198 right about the same place as I saw what is rightfully SR4759 and mis-interpreted it. Carry on.

Good stuff though.

The 45 Cal load that I mentioned so often that shoots in so many rifles which is 57 grains of IMR 4198 or h and a light blue Harvester is showing this same characteristic that I want to mention maybe let me ask this question why is this 59 grain load shooting all of these bullets with this accuracy without tweaking up or down,? my position on this question is it's because of the Plastics tune, not so much the charge or the Bullet by that I mean the plastic is at about 90% of what it can take why is that The Sweet Spot in both these loads? I would submit to you that a reading this that we have missed this aspect and let me clarify that more I think it is about finding The Sweet Spot of your plastic when shooting plastic, it is not so much about a ladder test as it is finding the limit of your plastic Sabot that's where the accuracy is. I don't want it to be that way, I like the ladder test thing ,but the reality is when shooting a plastic load in multiple rifles the accurate load is at the Plastics limit kind of makes sense the plastic is in between the bullet and the rifling when the plastic is at its most efficient rifling seal then it just makes sense for the load to hum and shoot the best. Every 45 Cal rifle that I have proved that point in through shooting the accurate load is always there at 57 or slightly above or a slightly below it it is never at 56 or 55 and if I go much above the 57 then of course the plastic has problems. I hope to get a couple of more 22 twists barrels made I am predicting today that this particular charge of 59 grains of IMR 4198 is going to be the load in all of those guns if what I see proves out to be the case in 50 cal smokeless too well it's just interesting I am looking for a constant load that's going to work in any rifle of the same twist a pet load if you would I believe I will find that in the 50 cal smokeless too but back to my point I think for years we have missed something in plastic shooting and if we have and can rediscover that maybe we can make plastic shooting even better. Still learning everyday

Back