First shot inaccuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbierling

Reaction score
Fouling, wet powder, bad shot, something else?

I went hunting Sat night and Sun morning. I left the powder (2 50(40) grain T7 pellets) in overnight in a cold gun and after finishing Sunday without shooting, I took a few test shots. From 130 yards, the first shot was 10 in low and 4 in right. The 2, 3, and 4th shots (without swabbing) were within MOA of the aim point.

Any ideas on whether the first shot's inaccuracy was caused by the barrel being clean (not having been fouled), the powder being wet/damp/old, just a bad shot, or something else?

If the former, what should I do to resolve the problem? Fire a couple primers? Fire a single pellet + sabot sleeve (how would I do this without disturbing the hunting area)? Something else?

Thanks,
-Joel

A fouling shot is a good idea or bringing your bore to "clean" status between every shot will bring your cold bore/clean bbl shots to a more constant or predictable aim point.

It is easier IMO to shoot a fouling load of 50-80 gr of loose before going hunting..

However in the hunting slop of cold, wet weather the powder will draw moisture and cause the enevitable.

I would say your problem was from no fouling shot.

Doohan said:
A fouling shot is a good idea or bringing your bore to "clean" status between every shot will bring your cold bore/clean bbl shots to a more constant or predictable aim point.

"Clean" status would be the result after 30 min of cleaning. I'm not sure that's really practical and even if I only swabbed between the subsequent shots it would still seem there would be a discrepancy between the first and subsequent shots.

Doohan said:
It is easier IMO to shoot a fouling load of 50-80 gr of loose before going hunting..

Should I buy some loose expressly for this purpose or is a single pellet ok? Would would I shoot the load with -- a bullet + sabot jacket, just a jacket, or something else?

Thanks for the response,
-Joel

Joel

I have continued to struggle with the same challenge you described, as my Triumph almost always produces a 'flyer' on the first shot from a clean barrel...despite my drypatching to remove traces of rem-oil and popping 209 primers to 'season the chamber' and even shooting a light load of powder w/o a sabot/bullet to keep it tight...

My first shot seems to fly high 12 o'clock or low 6 o'clock.

All subsequent shots with spit patch/dry patch are good and usually MOA!

Only way to get around it is to shoot a shot to get the flyer out of the way, then spit/dry patch and reload with the day's hunting load.

If anyone else can show me a better way, I am all ears!!!

Joe

the only way i have found to consistently work is to fire a squib load through the gun then spit/dry patch, then load for the hunt.

How do you keep the squib load powder tight to get good ignition?

If I just pour loose powder down the barrel, the sabot will not hold the powder tight without the bullet seated in it...

Please explain the squib load procedure.

fouling shot

I don't know if it makes a diff or not but I try to duplicate barrel condition by fireing a real load, bullet and all. By doing this I feel the barrel is as close to normal as possible,
Wayles

I usually drop the powder and fire the gun right away.. no sabot or bullet.. just loose.

If you like an empty sabot will work well.. Pellets alone w/o a bullet are July 4th material as they barely burn in the bore and fire into the air in a nice fire ball.. kind of neat really. 8)

i used to shoot a duplicate hunting load through the gun but have found that a loose, heavy load of powder fired straight up works just as well. i just walk out to my range, pour, give the rifle a couple of taps on the butt to seat the powder, prime, and point vertically and fire. no bullet or rod ever goes in the barrel during the process so there is no chance of a projectile

I am faced with the same problem--BUT-- my question is if you fire a load of any kind of powder for a fowling shot---- and then hunt all day what about rust in the barrel from not cleaning? If you clean at the end of the day you must go through the same routine again.
Every time I hunt I always worry about that first shot.
I think the only way if in doubt is to shoot at the range and adjust for the first shot. Clean the barrel and let it cool between shots. Then what about the second shot?? Huge pain in the arse I agree. :cry: What works for one may not work for all. Yes all the info is good for us as a starting point. This Question comes up many times and sure is a good one. I wish we had a real good answer that would cover the subject for at least a big part of us.
AGAIN what about the burnt powder in the barrel for an extended time and barrel rust.

Thanks men

GW.

I haven't tinkered enough to know, but I use to be farther off with my clean bore shot versus my spit patched fouled barrel shots. Difference being my T7 load. I am not confirmed with my most accurate or highest velocity and accurate load, but it is accurate to 100 yds. I wonder if there is a compromise between those 2 variables and finding the right powder charge to have minimal difference between clean bore and fouled bore? I know some guys have also claimed similar POI also. It would be nice to have the gun clean for days instead of fouled!

squib load

The bh 209 has pretty well solved the corrosion problem for some of us
Wayles

I allway try to "zero" the gun in on a clean bore,scrubbing it as clean as possible between shots during sight in. This seems to work well,as I've never had a "first" shot fly out of the group,with my gun clean on the first shot! Maybe off 1/4 inch,but still in there! Ron

The difference in clean barrel and second shot is 7"s to the right. I would clean and load the barrel, the fire the next day.........after 5 days, I had two groups 7"s apart...........................what brung the first clean shot 7's to the right was...................................Lubing the bore with "wonder lube", if I lube about every two days ...............I can leave it loaded for the whole hunt.

50 cal w/sabots...........100yds, bench.

Bruce

jbierling said:
BCS said:
Lubing the bore with "wonder lube"

Do you lube and swab between shots too?

-Joel

No lube after the first shot, just a light wet wipe of spit, flip the patch over and dry wipe, fire a cap...........then load.

I always try to get my gun as clean as possible between shots when zeroing it in.By doing it this way.The first shot off from a cold barrel is only 1 1/2" high at 100 yards.I truly believe it is high, is from the fact that the barrel is plumb cold and not from any fouling that may or may not left in the barrel.
If one does not try to get his gun as clean as possible between shots at sight in.I believe he is fighting the effects of 2 things going on
1= Fouling
2=Cold barrel
I/you can stop 1 effect by cleaning in between shots at sight in

What's wrong with a fouled bore - provided it isn't fouled with BP or a BP sub, other than White Hots or BH?

Sight in with a fouled bore in cold weather. Pretty easy to reproduce while hunting.

Why get your bbl as clean as possible during sight in? With the exception of one rifle, all of my bores require at least one fouling shot to "settle" down after an extensive cleaning.

If we had to clean between every shot, it would take one hell of a long time to shoot a group, even with our center fires for that matter. What happens when you have to take two or three or four shots in a weekend afield before you can reach the bench?

Even bench rest shooters foul their bores before they shoot for money.

Seriously guys, leaving smokeless powder residue in your bore for extended periods of time is NBD. This from a guy who's 3 year old repeats the montra "rust never sleeps."

Would you "clean" your -06 every night in deer camp if you fired a shot? No. You'd clean it if moisture/snow/rain somehow made its way into your bore.

That said, any rifle loaded with BP, T7, or pyrodex would not be allowed to sit over night without a scrubbing.

Latest posts

Back