First Time ML Hunter...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChristopher

Reaction score
I just bought my first muzzleloader recently(CVA Wolf). I just had a few questions for hunting season....

1) Do I need to do a thorough cleaning after shooting or would swabbing be ok? Could I wait until the season is done to do a thorough clean?

2) Do I need to unload the gun if it hasn't been shot? Could it sit overnight with the powder pellets in it?

The pellets I'm using are white hots.

Thanks in advance!

MrChristopher said:
I just bought my first muzzleloader recently(CVA Wolf). I just had a few questions for hunting season....

1) Do I need to do a thorough cleaning after shooting or would swabbing be ok? Could I wait until the season is done to do a thorough clean?

2) Do I need to unload the gun if it hasn't been shot? Could it sit overnight with the powder pellets in it?

The pellets I'm using are white hots.

Thanks in advance!

1) Depends on the powder being used. A full cleaning as soon as possible is always the safest choice.

2) Leaving it loaded over night should not be a problem on a clean bore. Leave it out in the cold. Going from cold to warm to cold can cause it to "sweat" and contaminate the powder.

Before you fire it the first time give it a very thorough cleaning. The packing grease they use can be a PITA to completely remove. Once fired its even harder to remove.

I agree you should leave the gun out in the cold. When I go hunting I leave the gun out in the cold for a few hours before I load it. Once loaded it always stays in the cold until I shoot it. I don't even carry in the cab of my truck as the truck warms up after hunting. I put it in the bed. Most shooters on the forum are meticulous about keeping their guns clean. If you keep it clean you will avoid potential problems. I clean my guns thoroughly even when I shoot the gun only once.

Thanks.....I was concerned because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to give it a full cleaning if I took a shot and was going back the next day.....I'd be running patches through at least. I might just make sure I can set myself up to clean it.

How long can it sit dirty before damage to the barrel happens? I'd likely try to clean and oil it same day but if I ended up leaving it dirty for a day at the most, is this too long?

If you shoot your gun only once cleaning the bp and bore should be quick and easy because there will be very little fouling. I can only comment about black horn powder because that's all I've ever used. Leaving the gun to clean the next day would certainly be fine. Other powders maybe so. Maybe other members with experience with other powders can comment.

My best guess is over night or roughly 2 days is probably safe with Triple7 or White Hots. You could easily run a dry patch or a lightly damp alcohol patch to remove some of the fouling. I would play this by ear. If you run into some humid weather, i would not risk it.

You could play it "safer" and use a version of Windex with no ammonia for swabbing. I would still mix it 50/50 with 91% rubbing alcohol.

What Windex® products are ammonia-free?

The following products do not contain ammonia. They can be used in cases where ammonia is not recommended for use on surface.

Windex® Crystal Rain™, Windex® Multi-Surface with Glade® Clear Springs™, Windex® Multi-Surface Antibacterial, Windex® Multi-Surface Vinegar, Windex® Outdoor Multi-Surface Concentrated Cleaner and Windex™ Outdoor All-in-One Glass Cleaning Tool

Windex® Crystal Rain or possibly Windex® Multi-Surface Antibacterial sounds like a good choice for a non ammonia Windex.

GM54-120 said:
My best guess is over night or roughly 2 days is probably safe with Triple7 or White Hots. You could easily run a dry patch or a lightly damp alcohol patch to remove some of the fouling. I would play this by ear. If you run into some humid weather, i would not risk it.

You could play it "safer" and use a version of Windex with no ammonia for swabbing. I would still mix it 50/50 with 91% rubbing alcohol.

What Windex® products are ammonia-free

The following products do not contain ammonia. They can be used in cases where ammonia is not recommended for use on surface.

Windex® Crystal Rain™, Windex® Multi-Surface with Glade® Clear Springs™, Windex® Multi-Surface Antibacterial, Windex® Multi-Surface Vinegar, Windex® Outdoor Multi-Surface Concentrated Cleaner and Windex™ Outdoor All-in-One Glass Cleaning Tool

Windex® Crystal Rain or possibly Windex® Multi-Surface Antibacterial sounds like a good choice for a non ammonia Windex.

I've read a lot about the windex/alcohol mix. It's probably what I will use. Why not windex with ammonia? Will the ammonia ruin/harm the gun?

Is this mix also suitable for a final clean up once the season is done?

Ammonia is in many copper removing centerfire solvents but in much higher concentration than the windex/alcohol mix. After using those solvents it is a good idea to get some oil/CLP in the bore.

Using a non ammonia Windex is just an option i thought i would toss into the pot.

I would use something like Ballistol for a final cleanup. It contains some mineral oil also. Ballistol is normally mixed with some water for black powder and sub cleaning.

I'll definately look into the ballistol, I just did some brief reading on it and it sounds great. Only problem is that I may only be able to order it online. Doesn't look like any stores carry it in Canada.....kinda weird....

I plan to make range patches with the windex/alcohol mix.

I still need to sight my gun in before hunting season. Black Powder season is the first week in December here.

I plan to sight it in at 75-100 yards. I hunt in a bush and shots won't be that far.

I'm really excited about getting into muzzleloading. There are far less hunters using this method in my area. It's become so over crowded with rifle hunters that it's almost unsafe.

Ballistol is great stuff. I use it quite frequently on my ML, and my centerfire rifles. I like the fact that it doesn't seem to be a problem to come into contact with wood, leather, plastic, etc. I certainly wouldn't spray down a stock on one of my nice rifles with Ballistol, but for my working rifles I don't feel the need to be quite as careful as with other, petroleum based oils.

I have heard mixed reviews on Ballistol for long term storage, but once again, my working rifles are out of the safe frequently during hunting season and at least a few times a year in the interim for checking zero, load development or just a little fun practice.

FWIW, I've never seen Ballistol in a store here in the US. I always order from Amazon. Same with Kroil. There probably are places who stock them, but they aren't common.

Out of curiosity, where (in Canada I assume) are you hunting?

Tannhauser said:
Ballistol is great stuff. I use it quite frequently on my ML, and my centerfire rifles. I like the fact that it doesn't seem to be a problem to come into contact with wood, leather, plastic, etc. I certainly wouldn't spray down a stock on one of my nice rifles with Ballistol, but for my working rifles I don't feel the need to be quite as careful as with other, petroleum based oils.

I have heard mixed reviews on Ballistol for long term storage, but once again, my working rifles are out of the safe frequently during hunting season and at least a few times a year in the interim for checking zero, load development or just a little fun practice.

FWIW, I've never seen Ballistol in a store here in the US. I always order from Amazon. Same with Kroil. There probably are places who stock them, but they aren't common.

Out of curiosity, where (in Canada I assume) are you hunting?

I'll have to try and order it online then. I saw amazon has it. They also have their own canadian website that I can order it from.

I live(and hunt) in Southwestern Ontario. Like I said, just getting a bit crowded during rifle season, so looking to find another time to hunt.

Thanks. Looks like an interesting read. I quickly browsed over it. I'll have to read it in full.

Another question.....what kind of distance is common to sight in at? I usually sight my rifle in at 100 yds. Is sighting a muzzleloader in at 100 acceptable? I know I won't be getting the same kind of accuracy but don't what the limit really is.

I'm shooting 2 white hots with a 250 grain hornady sst sabot with a federal 209a primer.

I'll be bushing hunting so I don't expect 100 yard shots but want to make sure it's accurate for a decent distance incase I change it up and watch the field for a few hours one day....

is 100 realistic for black powder or should I sight in at a shorter distance? Like around 75?

Yes, I believe most folks do sight in at 100...that is probably the standard. I would start at 25 and get it on bull, then shoot it at 50, 75, 100... and see what it does, and adjust accordingly. 1" high at 50 might be about perfect for you from close up, out beyond what you think you would shoot. And yes, there is nothing wrong with setting zero at 75yds, if you feel that is where it needs to be. Whatever you zero at, shoot other distances so you know what your load will do.

And keep in mind... you can certainly dial up a very accurate load in most modern muzzleloaders. Many here have guns that will print MOA groups or better with no problems. Sometimes you just have to play around a bit. Let us know how it shoots.

Mrchristopher im in the same boat as u my friend lol im new to all of this also and it seems rifle season is almost imposible to hunt any more and be safe at the same time theres way to many hunters out my way so i too am trying the muzzloading trend so good luck hope everythimg goes well i just bought a cva optima and love it very easy to clean with the qrbp i patch after every 1 too 2 shots and at the end of the day i either pull the barell and dunk it in some warm soapy water or i just pour some water down the barrel for clean up and make sure its super dry and oiled when ur done ive kinda taught myself from tons of youtube videos or askin questions on here there a awesome group of people with tons of knowledge good luck

CVA7589 said:
Mrchristopher im in the same boat as u my friend lol im new to all of this also and it seems rifle season is almost imposible to hunt any more and be safe at the same time theres way to many hunters out my way so i too am trying the muzzloading trend so good luck hope everythimg goes well i just bought a cva optima and love it very easy to clean with the qrbp i patch after every 1 too 2 shots and at the end of the day i either pull the barell and dunk it in some warm soapy water or i just pour some water down the barrel for clean up and make sure its super dry and oiled when ur done ive kinda taught myself from tons of youtube videos or askin questions on here there a awesome group of people with tons of knowledge good luck

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

It's crazy the amount of shots heard on opening morning of rifle vs black powder season.

I still have to get my ML back from sending it in for warranty work. I bought a CVA Wolf. There was a gouge inside the barrel. I'm hoping I get it back in time to do a proper line up.

Just out of curiosity what powder/bullet combo are you using?

MrChristopher said:
Thanks. Looks like an interesting read. I quickly browsed over it. I'll have to read it in full.

Another question.....what kind of distance is common to sight in at? I usually sight my rifle in at 100 yds. Is sighting a muzzleloader in at 100 acceptable? I know I won't be getting the same kind of accuracy but don't what the limit really is.

I'm shooting 2 white hots with a 250 grain hornady sst sabot with a federal 209a primer.

I'll be bushing hunting so I don't expect 100 yard shots but want to make sure it's accurate for a decent distance incase I change it up and watch the field for a few hours one day....

is 100 realistic for black powder or should I sight in at a shorter distance? Like around 75?

Thanks. I had planned to bore sight it, then 25, then hopefully 100. I'm shooting a 250 gr. Hornady SST which I've read good reviews about for it's accuracy. I'm hoping this paired with white hots and a federal primer will do me good. I've read alot about people liking the winchester W209 primer. I can always try those if need be. The federals is all the store had when I bought my ammo.

For bullets im using the powerbelt aerotip 295gr which i will prob lower to 240 ish 250 hodgdons 777 pellets and winchester 777 209 primers seems to shoot nice and accurate and fairly clean after each shot btw im using 100 gr of pellets hope this helps yah bud and be safe out there for sure

CVA7589 said:
For bullets im using the powerbelt aerotip 295gr which i will prob lower to 240 ish 250 hodgdons 777 pellets and winchester 777 209 primers seems to shoot nice and accurate and fairly clean after each shot btw im using 100 gr of pellets hope this helps yah bud and be safe out there for sure

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds fairly similar to my set up aside from the primer. I'm not sure where to find the 777 primers in my area. I know a gun shop has the Remington Kleanbore ones but I've really mixed things about them.

I'm still waiting on getting mine back from a warrantly claim to take it out and get it properly lined up.

Also wondering.....does anyone out there have the CVA Wolf? If so how do they like it? I wanted a gun that wouldn't break the bank and I paid $240 after tax for the wolf where the Optima was 400 before tax. I just couldn't justify the price difference since it wasn't guaranteed that I'd be going out for black powder season every year.

Latest posts

Back