First Time ML Hunter...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY sighted in today. Dead on at 50 yards.

I know 50 isn't ideal to sight in but it was a long process and most shots from my stand will only be 50-75 yards.

Here's to good luck tomorrow morning!

ShawnT said:
MrChristopher said:
Do you know what load your friend is using in his Wolf? Just asking around to see what does and doesn't work for some people so I can narrow things down without having to spend a ton of money.

What I plan to start with are 2 white hots, a Hornady 250 gr. SST and a winchester W209 primer.

I've read alot about CVA owners liking the winchester primers in their guns.

Glad to here that CVA is coming though for you. The Wolf is a very good rifle even though it is their entry level rifle. My Nephew has one of the older ones and it shoots great, is light, making it a nice rifle to carry in the brush.

I would recommend a different bullet when using Pellets. 2 50 grain Pellets are not really the same as 100 grains of Loose powder even though the advertising leads you to think that. They will shoot with less velocity than the equivalent of Loose Powder, most likely due to the additive added to the powder to make the pellets. In some cases the SST/Shockwaves (when shot with 2 pellets) have had expansion issues and those issues seem to always be associated with being shot with pellets. They are Very accurate but don't always seem to expand good when using pellets. It happened to me and to my Nephew so I am not just repeating something someone else said. There have been a few others report similar issues and they all seem to be when using pellets. The guys that have good luck with that bullet (and there are a lot of them) pretty much all shoot loose powder and more velocity making expansion more reliable. If you want to use that 250 SST I would highly recommend you skip the Pellets and go with Loose Powder such as Pyrodex RS, 777, or BH209 and start with 95 to 100 grains Volume of it. If you want to stick with the Pellets I would recommend you use the .452 (45cal) 300 grain or 250 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester Black Crushrib Sabot. My Nephew now shoots 2 777 Pellets (Very Similar to your white hots, If not the same thing) Harvester Crushrib sabot and the 300 grain XTP in his Wolf. Shoots very accurate and It has taken several deer from 50 to 175 yards without fail. He loves that load.

Just my 2 cents.

Would a black crushed rib sabot shoot ok with loose powder? Specifically BH209? Or should I stick to pellets if I plan to get that sabot....

I don't think I've read a bad review yet them so I definitely plan to try them out!

I agree with what ShawnT wrote. The 300 grn xtp would be a good combo with either a black crush rib or the short smooth black. My Optima shoots the 300 xtp with the smooth black extremely well. The black crush rib was a little loose. If you contact Harvester they will send you samples of both so you can compare.

How does the smooth black compare to the red sabot that comes with the SST's? They seemed fairly snug. They're all I've loaded so I have nothing to compare them to.

I plan to start using BH209 but I read something about the charge not sealing right with the black crush rib sabots and accuracy suffering. Just wondering if anyone had experience with those sabots and BH209.

Red SST sabots are about .500 loaded OD with a .452 bullet.

Harvester Black smooth are about .504 with a .452 bullet. The Crushrib is about the same loaded OD as the smooth but will load a little easier.

GM54-120 said:
Red SST sabots are about .500 loaded OD with a .452 bullet.

Harvester Black smooth are about .504 with a .452 bullet. The Crushrib is about the same loaded OD as the smooth but will load a little easier.

Does the tighter fit result in better accuracy? I just want the most accurate shot I can get since there will only be one.

Also it looks like I'll have to order Harvester sabots from somewhere in the states. I can't find them in any Canadian retailers carry them so just gathering info before I spend a little extra and order them.

Does the tighter fit result in better accuracy?

Sometimes. I have one rifle that shoots best with very tight sabots. I have another that likes them a bit loose. A good place to start is .003-.004 over land size. This will change a little depending on temps. A sabot that is just right at 60F might be kinda tight at 20F.

Also it looks like I'll have to order Harvester sabots from somewhere in the states.

The MMP HPH-24 is very similar in loaded OD to the Harvester Smooth black. Precision Rifle in Canada should sell them. Call or email Cecil and ask him which one he sells. His sabots are made by MMP.
https://www.prbullet.com/cscn.htm

Harvester might be able to tell you of a vendor in Canada. Cabelas US carries them but i see Cabelas Canada does not.
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php

Latest posts

Back