First Triple 7 outing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I just got in from trying this Triple 7 in my Green Mountain 1:30 Twist .45 Cal, This stuff went off IMMEDIATELY, and definitely has some HORSE POWER to it! I chose to shoot an unproven load, my BACO .443 Diameter 530 Grain Paper Patch bullets from a Mold i bought from them, i have not tried this particular bullet in this 1:30 Twist, These bullets are Awfully long for this Twist, But they shot Great. These bullets weighed in at 532 Grains with the Patch, My powder charge was 65 Weight Grains of Triple 7 powder (About 83-84 Grains by Volume) I chose to use .50 Cal 1/8” Wool felt OP Wads in my .451 Bore since this T7 is suppose to burn hotter, Glad i did that! If i were shooting this powder in a .50 Cal Rifle i would use .54 Cal Wool OP Wads, and .58 in a .54, I would say You need the Extra seal with Wool felt OP Wads and this T7, I did notice my Rifle went to Half Cock 3 of my 5 Shots, But these Treso/Ampco nipples stand a little Tall making half cock a VERY short distance away. All in all i am very pleased with the Results, I will continue to play around with this Triple 7 Powder, Next will be with some of my proven Grease Groove bullets and Oversize Wool Felt OP Wads since I Have not had good luck with Hard card type wads and GG bullets

1MkirSi.jpg

qaqQcC8.jpg

My first 3 shots, Target was 80 Yards
O6NkYwT.jpg

And my last 2, making 5 shots total, the 4 will go inside an inch, and of course i had to fling 1 out of it (4th shot)
9rgkvku.jpg

Recovered .50 Cal 1/8” Oxyoke brand OP Wads, This T7 definitely does more damage to the Wads, but they stil held up and did their Job protecting a Paper jacketed Bullet :yeah:
dMS6pga.jpg

That middle patch looks like a top view of Don King's head.

Very noticeable HARSH Crud Ring with this T7 and these Dry Paper Patch bullets, you would HARD PRESSED to get a Paper Patch Reload down a T7 Fouled bore without Severely damaging the Paper, At least i know I couldn’t, I didn’t bother trying as i knew better. Swabbing between Shots is a must from my Experience in today’s outing with PP bullets. This is why i plan to try my Grease Groove bullets next, The Grease should soften the T7 Fouling substantially. The above is not surprising with PP, it is VERY similar to Real Blackpowder (Swiss) And PP bullets, Swiss is a bit softer fouling than this T7, But Swiss is stil to rough to trust Reloading PP bullets in a fouled bore in my experience. The only powder i know of that seems to work well here is Pyrodex P like Ron Shoots with his PP bullets, Pyro P leaves a Softer Gooey Type fouling.

MrTom said:
That middle patch looks like a top view of Don King's head.

LOL!!! :lol: Yea this T7 is HOT stuff, My Swiss Don’t do this Kind of damage to the Wool Felt OP Wads, I have recovered and inspected a BUNCH of them over the last couple of years. I was impressed with performance of the 1/8” Wool Today, they did their Job :yeah: I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend the use of a Lighter/Thinner Wool OP Wad with this T7 Powder, it would get through. And Definitely go over Bore size with the Wool like i did above.

Back