FLintlock kit came in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
A few minutes to shape a lock panel my rear end!  

A ton of work done today on the kit. Came in around 11am and I went to work right away.
100_1610.jpg

100_1614.jpg

100_1615.jpg

100_1612.jpg

100_1613.jpg

100_1611.jpg

I applaud your work....that was one of the problems with kits was that the lock panels were out of shape and too large...and the forearms left a  little thick....you do a great job...

Hilljack      :cheers:

Just a sneak peek! First heavy coat of linseed oil went on this morning to prep the wood for truoil that should go down tomorrow.
100_1710.jpg

You made something really special!  Did you do those stripes or is the wood just that fine?

I did the stripes. This one had a lot of the golden nugget pattern in the wood so I kind of followed them to help set off certain places.

Shes out in the sun right now letting that linseed oil soak up. It really comes to life out in the good light! I love this sucker! I think that french gray barrel is going to sweeten the deal.

You did a great job; but you usually do a great job as the photos attest.   :2 cents:

Thank you!

I am doing the mustard treatment on the barrel now. I polished with 220 and 320 and 400. Just not sure how long to wait?

mustard/vinegar will leave behind a nice dark gray finish. I tried it but some how my mustard was to grain and left behind a wavy unevenly look. Nice dark gray, but uneven.

I cold blued the barrel and then rubbed it off with clorox and 0000 steel wool. It left behind a great looking antique raw finish.

FrontierGander said:
mustard/vinegar will leave behind a  nice dark gray finish. I tried it but some how my mustard was to grain and left behind a wavy unevenly look. Nice dark gray, but uneven.

I cold blued the barrel and then rubbed it off with clorox and 0000 steel wool. It left behind a great looking antique raw finish.
Thanks for explaining that which was something I had never heard of.

Well, I got her all finished up today! I have a coat of rays gun wax on it right now, so it will be another day or two before I take it off the wall and wipe it down and take pictures. I am very happy with how the kit came out and how well everything went together. A very smooth easy going kit this one was.

I really do like that rifle!  It looks even BETTER in color.  I would like to try my hand building one of those kits.  One in .54 would sure be nice.

FrontierGander said:
Be damn careful with cold blue or anything with Clorox your playing with fire that can and will kill you Jonathan.

I told Doc White about doing as your doing, then got the bright idea to mix both solutions. A pale green smoke came up out of the container and took our breath away. We both ran out of the garage, I ran around back and told the wife DO NOT OPEN THE GARAGE DOOR. I place wet towel at the bottom of the door.

Ran around to the garage with a cloth over my nose and mouth grabbed the container took it outside and throw it in the trash can. That pale green smoke continued to come out of the closed trash can for an hour.

Dr. White told me we were very lucky to have survived as we had just mixed up a solution similar to "Mustard Gas" used in the Great Wars. This gas shuts your lungs down in a few seconds and your dead.

Be careful Jonathan.

It certainly can be dangerous.  For that reason mixing Clorox with vinegar (an acid) or even with ammonia (a base) is going to produce stifling chlorine fumes.

i just wet a small section of steel wool and rubbed it onto the bluing. Very easy on the smell.

FrontierGander said:
i just wet a small section of steel wool and rubbed it onto the bluing. Very easy on the smell.

:thumbs up: You did well with that.

Latest posts

Back