From Granite Falls, NC

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richie332

Reaction score
I have been shooting smoke less muzzle loaders since 2007 starting with Savage's ML II in .50 cal. After much frustration with accuracy..........I shoot both 1K and 600 yard bench rest, I converted the Savage to .45 cal. with a Pac-Nor barrel. Since then I have converted Rem. 700 ML's to .45 using barrels from McGowan and Brux. Several years ago, I ditched the sabots and now only shoot sabot less. I am also a firm believer in duplex loads having shot well over several thousand shots using a lot of Clays and H-4198 among others. I have played and still play with a host of different bullets is a variety of weights from 200 to 300 grains. The Hornady SST's are among the cheaper good bullets and and give generally good results out to 300 yards. Another good bullet for me has been the Barnes 290 TEZ. The 250's are ok, but not as good as the 290 version. For our informal competition a couple of times a year up in Kentucky, I use the 300 gr. Pittman bullet. I am also one of the moderators on Hank's Muzzle Loader forum. Had also contributed information for years on Doug's forum.
My present shooter is a Rem. 700 ML with a Brux 27" .458/.450 barrel with a Harrell's radial brake. It sits in a Boyd's ProVarmint stock with a Shilen 2oz. trigger and NF 8x32 scope. This rifle will shoot 1/2" one hundred yard groups on a regular basis with even the cheaper bullets. 300 yard groups generally run around 2" or less.......give or take the conditions and the particular bullet. I do all my own work as I do with building my CF competition rifles.

:yeah:

WELCOME ABOARD :!: :!: :!: :!: Glad you could join us. :!:

Ray............. :wink:

Back