VV N120 with Fury .402" 225 gr in a HSB sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He stated that he was going to try the .402 Star Tip Fury 225 grain.... that's a black tipped bullet.

I used to shoot 66 gr. of VV N-20 powder using the Barnes 195 gr. or the 200 gr. Hornady SST bullet @ 3000 fps In warm weather I would put a felt wad under the sabot to help from blowing sabot. I would start at 60 gr. and work my way up until the sabots start to blow ( shred like spaghetti strings) then add a felt wad or back off 1 gr. VV N-120 powder is hard to find in my neck of the jungle, you can also you can also use Reloader #7 with great results. 72 gr. with your bullet should get you about 2675 fps and it is very easy on sabots. I stopped using sabots years ago and now have a 45 cal. and a 40 cal. sabotless guns.
I now shoot the Fury 240 gr. .401 OT bullet @ 3050 fps. using VV N-530 powder in the 40 cal.
Good luck with your load development and have fun.

I've spent a lot of time shooting the 240 OT Fury and the 250 black tip 40 cal in a light blue in many 20 twist rifles the combination of 57 grains of either h or IMR 4198 was a constant load for me accuracy was excellent and hunting performance on deer and Hogs was excellent when Fury started making the 225 402 I switched to that bullet and have never really looked back to the 240 and the 250 though I believe they're great bullets for smokeless 45 I have shot the 225 Fury and compared to accuracy with the 200 SST and the other solids that are in that 180 to 200 category the 225 Fury just consistently out shoots the lighter bullets for me I do have a couple of recent rifles, 18 twists that really shoot the 200 SST very well in the light blue But to answer your question I'm always personally trying to shoot the heaviest bullet that my twist and my rifle will shoot the most accurately ,,to not realize with any rifle that I'm shooting the heaviest bullet with the most bc/ sectional density is of course going to perform the best at longer distances it's hard for me not to constantly consider that at the same time I'm a small man I don't like heavy recoil so that's a constant influence also I realize any bullet in that 200 grain down to probably even 150 grains it's going to kill any Whitetail or hog probably that I shoot at the most influencing Factor is just hands down accuracy the fury 225 gives me that and it does give me a little bit more manageable recoil signature than the 240s and 250s.

?'s always, with all of y'alls experience what would be the best weight bullet with decent accuracy from a 1:20 twist 20" Handi-rifle .45 barrel. I have couple hundred XTP/SW/SST 200 gr bullets, of course i can invest into those 225 gr Fury bullets. Powders i have on hand VV110/SR4759/Blue Dot/5744/H4198/RL7. My shoulder does not take kindly to me abusing it with real heavy loads, n i don't have a Break on this barrel

I don't know how you beat the 200 SST with your needs and you know I love the 225 Fury it's a shame that 200 SST isn't sold in bulk,, I have crunchy shoulders too so I understand the recoil

If you like the 200 gr .40 shockwaves, they’ve recently been very cheap - $5.99 for a 15 pack. Several of us bought a few packs at that price from Midway a couple months ago and I just saw them in Sportsmans Warehouse for the same price. Midway is currently out of them though.

IMG_3801.png

Back