Getting off the ground

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
I have some Federal 270 grain "Borlock" projectiles. And "Blue MZ" pellet powder.
Shooting a CVA Wolf. Anyone use this combination, or see a problem?

I believe the Blue Pellets are nothing more than standard Triple7 pellets, just a different color and that using them is fine. I've shot the federal sabots you mention and in the weight you regard with no issues and got relative accuracy from them, but I was shooting the bh209 powder. The Wolf is a dandy entry level gun with plenty of room to play with loads and different bullets so don't just settle on one load/sabot/bullet this early in the game.

Try to locate some of the Winchester 209 shotgun primers in the blue box or CCI 209M primers as they seem to shoot the cleanest and seal the best of the domestic primers.

Personally I'd look at getting the breech plug that allows the use of the BH209 powder or at least ditch the pellets and get a granulated powder so you can manipulate the powder charges better. I'd also be using sabots: black for .45 caliber bullets or green for .44 caliber bullets and I'd also try several different bullet weights with the different charges. All of this to get as much accuracy out of the gun as possible assuming it will be scoped.

A good place to start with what you have on hand would be two pellets of the blue.

Don't know anything about those pellets but have tried the bullets. They shot good for me but loaded pretty loose and I was afraid that they would not stay on the powder while hunting. I'd try what MrTom suggested. XTP bullets are a good place to start, easy to find and relatively cheap also fine for hunting.

Blue MZ is nothing more than a rebranded blue WhiteHot pellet. The MSDS and patent numbers confirm it. So that load is probably a bit on the weak side for the BOR copper.

Expansion could be poor.
IMG_0434.JPG

2 T7 pellets impacting ballistics gel at 80yards.
2843211_orig.jpg

If you're stalled on pellets I suggest the T7 pellets. Maybe get the regular 50 grain and a box of the magnum pellets [60 grains] so you have some versatility towards total charge weight.

White Hots are even slower than a Triple7 pellet.

BTW i made a correction. The BlueMZ is a rebranded WhiteHot not Triple7. Ingredients and amounts are identical.

I must say though im a bit confused. You are considering one of the most expensive projectiles but want to use the worst propellants. (pellets). That seems very counter productive and a waste of copper. What is it about pellets you feel is appealing?

Loose powder in tubes is just as easy to load in the field.
A powder measure is under $20 and a spout that fits the bottle is around $5.
They are without a doubt less flexible and more expensive per shot than any loose powder.

Sounds like I have really been mislead about pellets.

My BIL switched to them several years ago and he loves it.
I need to take a closer look at his set-up.

Sorry for any confusion, I was just looking for simplicity and convenience.
I plan to use the gun to hunt white tail, so cost per shot was not my biggest priority.

Just trying to offer some insight into how restrictive pellet use is. Pellets are 50 grains each as a rule unless you're doing magnums. If you gun is 150 capable [which the Wolf is] and you're shooting two pellets you are omitting 50 grains of powder adjustment in either direction. I think you'll find that most all of todays bullet/sabot combinations need to be driven a little harder to have the bullets function as they're designed to but that doesn't mean a full 150 grain charge of pellets will be suitable, especially in the accuracy department. Each individual gun will have its "sweet spot" and if you are stuck with pellets you may shoot around that spot and never know it. Granular powder lets you tailor your load quite specifically if you measure in 5 grain increments and as mentioned there are load tubes that make field or range loading a snap and certainly no less convenient than pellets.

I'd really suggest that you at least try the 209 powder after getting a breech plug to shoot it as long as its legal in your area to use 209 primers to ignite it. Nipple/cap ignition will come up short on fire for consistent ignition. Yes, its an added investment but in the long run the positives surrounding the 209 powder justify the use of it and in the field it is probably the most trusted powder around because of its not being affected by humidity where as true black powder and the other subs [including the pellets] can fall flat on their face if humidity gets to them. And once you get dialed in with the 209 you can have the breech plug that came with the gun drilled to accept replaceable vent liners making that plug a lifetime plug instead of something that has to be replaced periodically and yes all powders can enlarge the flame hole enough to require this.

Regardless, if you're using T7 or Pyrodex or real black or the BH209 in granular form you're going to be able to cover way more ground than if you're burning pellets and you be able to realize the full potential of the gun.

X2 what Tom said.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I find my inlines shoot best with 90-110 grains of blackhorn. I'm more inclined to try different bullets as to play around a lot with amount of powder charge. That's just me. I'd try some Barnes bullets.

MrTom has already expertly explained the main benefits of loose powder over pellets. I've only used loose powder, but have read that pellets will sometimes crack, or break, which changes how they burn. Then there goes your repeatable accuracy. I guess the main appeal for pellets is ease of use for the beginner, but I think if you can measure sugar in a measuring cup, you can measure powder in a measuring device.

2 Pellet loads can tend to cause Some of the pointy bullets to not expand properly, it just don't push them fast enough. Having said that I agree with Tom and Fred on the Loose powder. Just need a bottle funnel and a volumetric powder measure and pour it in a lanes tube. There is no real mystery in using loose powder. I will add that those Boxes for the pellets are not sealed so can draw moisture, so take care with storage especially after the season is over. When loading with them watch for cracked pellets, as mentioned, and when seating a bullet with sabot you just run it down and till it stops on the pellets and make sure it is firmly seated but not so much you break the pellets.

Having said this, My Nephew is shooting an early model Wolf and I could not get him to switch to loose. He is shooting 2 777 50x50 Pellets, Hornady 45cal 300gn XTP (regular not mag) in a Black Crushrib sabot. That load has taken several whitetails out to 175 yards no problem. His Wolf loves that load.

seagullplayer said:
I have some Federal 270 grain "Borlock" projectiles. And "Blue MZ" pellet powder.
Shooting a CVA Wolf. Anyone use this combination, or see a problem?

Nothing wrong with using White Hot / Blue MZ pellets. You need to figure out if two pellet loads or three pellet loads are right for you.

When going to the range with new powders and bullets, always take a few different bullet options. Something in the line of 250gr..... 275gr and 300gr. Mix them-up..... different brands.

ShawnT said:
Hornady 45cal 300gn XTP (regular not mag) in a Black Crushrib sabot. That load has taken several whitetails out to 175 yards no problem. His Wolf loves that load.

Don't blame him, my Optima V2 loves those bullets. I'm using 90gr. BH by volume tho, that load is a killer with no doubts!

If i was going to recommend a good cheap combo i would suggest either then 300gr XTP or the Sierra 458 300gr FNHP. Both should do pretty well with moderate loads of BH209. I like the Sierra better but being a 458 your sabot options are more limited.

The 300gr Speer Deep Curl is another excellent bullet but they can be hard to find. Price is just a little more when you can find them.

Thought I would give an update. Life got real busy and I let that CVA Wolf set in the corner until last week. Having never yet fired it. I dug out the supplies I had bought two years ago, those listed in this thread.
Sighted the scope at 50 yards. I hunt pretty dense woods. I found the loads consistent, and the gun a little easier to clear than I thought it might. Last ML I had any dealings with was an old traditional style percussion in the 80's.
Two pellets of blue and the federal 270 gram load.
Last Friday evening right at dusk I busted a very nice doe at 50 years from my blind. She went less than 10 feet.
I will never use a shotgun for deer again. I couldn't be happier.

BTW: Just about everyone around here was sold out of BP supplies. And very little selection at present in what they do have? Is everyone seeing this? It's what I get waiting last minute...

Lots of shortages here in north Alabama. I bought what was probably the last box of 209 primers in the area. Had to buy all 1000 of them as the store owner would not sell them any other way. Thankfully my son went in on the purchase and will use a lot of them. Otherwise, at my age, that many would be greater than a lifetime supply!

Back