Got Coreys CVA Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Corey, that big package of yours just came in.

First thing i thought is that the fly was sticking. I pulled the lock and that Sear does not look like the correct cva sear. I am going to play with the Drum first and get that taken care of first before i do anything else with it.

ok its deff. the wrong sear. I borrowed one out of my traditions and now it works. I have to adjust the triggers now.

I loaded the breech end with powder and installed the drum, i am going to put the rifle in a vise and blow what ever the hell is in the barrel. It feels like steel to me.

Barrel is unplugged!! I just filled the drum with 3f pyrodex, capped it and a stream of smoke came fuzzing out the barrel. I went and got a ball and loaded it with 40g 3f pyro and loaded the ball without a patch. BANG! :lol: this was an easy fix.

Just a tip Corey,Next time you take the lock apart, its a good idea to put the sear spring on the right way lol! It was on upside down and wasnt putting pressure on the sear.

Shes almost fixed up bud!

Lot of work done already! Stripped all the bluing, All of the metal parts have a coat of LMF browning solution on them. Polished the brass, Cleaned up the internals on the lock. Even spread open that crack by the lock area and filled it with wood glue and clamped it down until it was dry. Going to get some Acraglas to fix that solid.

So far so good!

Nothing to take pictures of yet lol. The browning process will take close to a week. Its turning color now, its dark gray, almost black. It will then turn reddish rust brown.

I do not take the blame on putting the lock back together wrong. that was jess. told her 3 times it was wrong. lol.

what was in the barrel?

need me to order a sear for it?

I know about the sites.

I will take a look at my brothers and see what sear we need for it.

I noticed there were was a good deal of rust when i had the drum pulled so i am thinking that it was a "Rust plug" that was preventing the powder from being able to fill the drum. Shes workin now!

I glued that crack in the stock too. I will buy some stuff to make sure it doesnt crack any more.

that sear at dixie looks right but let me mess with the old one first.

Go with the sights i pmed you with. The german silver is a lot easier to see

does not take long for me to get stuff from track of the wolf or dixie. need a week any way. get paid next week. 8)

LOL. it wont cost much. Those sights will be perfect and easy to see

awesome! I was looking at the sights that came on it and thought, this is NOT going to work! LOL

btw, you need to check cast boolets. some is shooting an 348gr black belt/powerbelt with 125grs of swiss 1.5f. already posted what I think about that.

Back