Great Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
My son didn't have school on Friday so decided to go bow hunting. We went to Hoosier National Forest and sat in the same stand that he took his first deer in. He was way to figity in the morning hunt so left the woods early. When we headed out in the afternoon I discussed needing to be quite and still. He decided to take a nap when we got settled in. 
I saw 2 deer off in the distance slipping through the thick cover. Gave a grunt call and the buck looked but didn't circle. He was still asleep. Then 45 minutes later a mature doe and yearling came up from the draw in front of me. She kept checking back so I was confident a buck was trailing here. Sure enough after they feed 65 yards from us he appeared. This pushed the doe across our stand which I was hoping would pull him through. This is when my son decided to wake up. 
He made 2 scrapes in front of us as he closed the distance. I knew he was a good buck but wasn't paying attention to the rack. He was closing in on my best shooting lane for that direction. I drew my bow and he had no clue we where there. I should have given him a "mee" sound to stop him but didn't which is why the shot is back. It was lucky and my Gold tip with Wasp Jak hammer got the liver. I saw the arrow disappear and the thump. He ran off circling to the trail that heads through the thicket we were sitting outside of. I couldn't find my arrow through the Binos from the stand so right before dark we got down to find it. Couldn't find it or blood with our headlamps so we decided to leave and come back in the morning. 
Headed back in the morning and still couldn't find the arrow but found the scuff from the shot. Found some blood and it wasn't good. Followed blood skipped a section to where we saw it last and picked up blood. Still not good after 50 yards. Following blood on hands and knees and finally picked out the direction and trail he was taking. Went another 40 yards and my son says "What is that smell?"  I smell it now and responds "Gut". Look his direction and the buck is 30 yards away.
Here he is!
image_zpswmmchkzq.jpeg

He is an 11 point and has good mass at the bases. This is my best buck by far to date.

Congratulations on that monster! Heck of a buck for public land.
Who took the photo?

I wish Indiana wasn't so far to drive. :lol:

Awesome bow-buck and pic :!:  
------------------------------------------------
p.s. It's been pretty dry for me bowhunting so far... but that sure pumps-me-up for my Monday morning bowhunt.

Thank you guys!  My buddies wife took the pic on my IPhone. I need assistance due to a wheel failure on my cart. It's a homemade design made from 3/4" EMT, a little black pipe, and go cart axles. The wheels are pneumatic 13" wheels from Tractor Supply. The failure was the wheels bearing plate bent when I came down a small rain rut. We hunt .82 miles from the parking area in hilly terrain. Dragging by myself probably would have taken all day if it didn't kill me first. So they brought me a new wheel. I was able to bend mine back to limp along the trail before they got there though. In all we have less than $50 in the cart and most of that is in the wheels. We are going make a plate to stiffen the two piece rim design. We have used this design on 15 other deer but none this big before. Another plus is I only used one strap to hold the deer in place. Most does and smaller bucks do not need a strap. 
image_zpsidzgwpyd.jpeg

Bent plate allowed the tire to make contact with the frame. 
image_zpswrs2qfbd.jpeg

That's why i've always quartered out the game at the kill, and packed it out. No breakdowns. Well, except for my back

I've started doing the gutless method but didn't know how to cape one out. I also use the cart to carry out the climber and other gear. The deer weighed 215 dressed so it was a heavy load.

Thanks DK, Jon. I had only been out three times this year bow hunting. I got a shot on a doe in a different section of Hoosier National Forest two weekends before and then him. My friends and brother have been out almost double the amount I have and haven't been seeing much. That stand has produced deer both weekends we have used it. 
Bob thanks for the link, I have been watching some other YouTube videos as well and think I can handle it now. The processor that I took it has done it already and they use the method where they leave about 3-4 inches of meat on it from behind the head. This looks to make it easier than trying to separate it from the skull. I would hate to screw up that part. I'm going to be dropping it off at the taxidermists this weekend.

"The processor that I took it has done it already and they use the method where they leave about 3-4 inches of meat on it from behind the head. This looks to make it easier than trying to separate it from the skull. I would hate to screw up that part."

Taking it off the skull usually requires a stout screwdriver or chisel and a hammer to lever it up. It's like taking up linoleum without harming the floor. Cutting around the eyes, nose and turning the ears inside out is best left to a professional.
If you get a chance, it's a good education to watch a good taxidermist cape a couple of deer in person. It's a real eye-opener.  :shock:

that is a tremendous buck. Beautiful and I think you did the right think by waiting. hope it was cool that night. The cart looks like it is done. Try a Super Mag Hauler by Leader Accesories. We have one at work and it's been put through the test carrying sampling gear. Great unit.

Congrats on a great trophy!

Very nice buck. Way to be smart and take up the trail the next morning. Many deer are lost because of hunters get too impatient and bump a deer that has a questionable hit, never to find them. Awesome hunt. Congrats.

Thanks guys, but the cart is not dead. The failure is in the two piece wheel and we are going to add a 1/8" plate and then gussets to the hub. This will prevent the wheel from bending at the hub when it is side loaded. I have used the other style of cart and had issues with it wanting to tip over on side hills. This one is low enough and wide. We put two more deer on last weekend at the same time that weighed close to 180 without issue. Here is the pic
image_zpshjid0rva.jpeg

Those two on the cart are my almost 9 year old sons. He has 3 deer for the year with an Apex smokeless conversion. I get to go along to drag them out for him!

Modified the wheels to make them stronger. Added a pipe, plate, and gussets.
image_zpszzimtty5.jpeg

These types of tires work great especially when you have a load on them. The horses destroy the trails down there and the other tires dig into the mud. Plus with the lower cg, bent supports, and side rails we don't have to strap the deer down. Even with two on the cart.

Back