Great Plains Rifle Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Heres Jono's GPR .54! She came in today and so i started on her today. Ran into a problem with the tang, which i fixed up and is out of the way. So for now its just working and shaping the wood. The bore got 80 strokes of JB Bore Paste and so thats out of the way as well.

DSCN2435.jpg

Adding a bit of bees wax to the wedge key plate screws. If you dont lube them, they will snap off as soon as you introduce some torque to the tiny head.
DSCN2436.jpg

Getting my big horse hoof file, i started to slim down the rear end of the stock as well as the bottom where the toe plate is located. Made easy work but slow as i had to be careful. Followed up by a wood block wrapped with 60 grit sand paper.
DSCN2438.jpg

DSCN2437.jpg

DSCN2439.jpg

DSCN2440.jpg

Roughing out the thumb hook,
DSCN2441.jpg

DSCN2444.jpg

Finished but needs final sanding and some slight shaping around the sides.
DSCN2446.jpg

DSCN2449.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

And lil ol handsome me 8)
DSCN2447.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the pics! That grain looks cool to me.

Jono

looking good looks like it will be a nice one the wood grain looks alsome good luck on the build

well i have the entire forearm slimmed down and nicely even with the wedge key plates as well as the nose cap. Lock area and the opposite side are roughly shaped. Just going to finish on some of the easier stuff to get to and then get serious and get it all shaped.

well ive made a lot of progress this evening. I didn't do a whole lot of work but it was a big step in getting it ready for 100 grit sanding. Lockplate is finished and fitting to the lock, same with the trigger guard and toe plate, these areas have already been hit with 150 grit sand paper. I have to a bit of shaping on the opposite side of the lock tomorrow as i ran out of light and my shop lights are hanging by live wires " roof used to leak and warped the roof rafters, taking out my lights :( " but shes coming along smoothly. I do have some pictures but not anything worth posting at the moment. Perhaps tomorrow!

And Jon, zero problems with the barrel/tang fit. Yours drops right down into place and has zero flexing. Thats a first for me on the great plains!

OOOOH you oughta see her with the honey maple stain! Im up to 2 thin base coats which were basically to show me any unseen scratches, hit what ever there was with 220 grit and removed them. Now im up to 2 full thick coats that are suckin up nicely but taking around an hour and a half per coat to fully suck up and dry. Got to let it sit over night and see what i got in the morning. May not have to use the walnut stain after all jon!

nice looking rifle. like the grain in the wood its going to look great when it is done.

weres the pic of the work sounds good i bet it will look good what are you going to do with the metal work

Okay i've made you all suffer long enough.

Shaping the lock plate area,
DSCN2452.jpg

DSCN2455.jpg

Forearm shaped and sanded with 220 grit sand paper. Along all the metal i left enough wood for at least ONE stock refinish should something happen years on down the road.
DSCN2456.jpg

DSCN2454.jpg

Not finished in this picture but its now finish as of today.
DSCN2457.jpg

DSCN2453.jpg

First 2 coats of LMF Honey Maple stain applied this evening. We now have 4 coats on it. Sorry about the camera flash.
DSCN2465.jpg

Lets she how she looks once i rub some oil into it. Possibly tomorrow!

Oh shes even purdier now that i rubbed some oil onto the stock! Glad i stopped at 4 coats because shes nice and dark yet shows the dark grain well.

When i get back from new mexico this evening i will rub some oil on it again and buff with 0000 steel wool. I'll have some pictures of it later hopefully.

ok my nephew applied a coat of antique oil finish by hand, and afterward i soaked the stock in the same oil and buffed the stock with 0000 steel wool. Smoooooth! It helps removed excess stain that pools up and causes it to get REAL dark and so after this was done, the finish is just beautifully smooth and colorful.

To dark to take good pictures so tomorrow i will get some for you all. Truoil most likely will start going on tomorrow as well.

birchwood casey stuff came in today so now i got everything to brown the barrel and spray on a few coats of truoil once shes all ready. Rubbed one thin coat of truoil on and she is beautiful! I will take pictures once the stock is completely dry.

Back