Great Plains Rifle Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much really. The barrel browning is giving me fits. Been really busy today though thats for certain. The stock is taking longer to harden due to all the moisture in the air but it'll get there.

Got some great pics of the stock and barrel browning process though!

no and i hope we dont. Got hit bad a couple years ago. totaled our car, took out our roof and some windows. ATV's got beat to hell and back as well.

long over due! Ive been swamped with work and other things around the house, but here are some update pictures. The stock is finished completely today with HAND RUBBED truoil, i will start the spray on truoil process tomorrow morning and finish up the steel work. Very close to being complete for the new owner.
DSCN2438-1.jpg

DSCN2439-1.jpg

DSCN2442.jpg

DSCN2441-1.jpg

DSCN2440-1.jpg

DSCN2434.jpg

DSCN2435-1.jpg

DSCN2437-1.jpg

Very nice work and i really like the brown instead of the blue. a friend of mine had a hawkins given to him in the brown and it looks sweet! Ray

very good work there FG when can i test it for the new owner have to make sure it works before we give it to him :pirat:

Jon, great job. Thanks for the new pics. Can't wait to see it up close!

You've done an awesome job FG bringing out the grain pattern.

What kind of wood is the stock :?:

english walnut.

Yes i will be dulling it down once i get the spray on finish layers on.

Once i buff it with oil/0000 steel wool it comes out smooth like glass.

picture doesnt do it justice. In person theres so much beauty that pops out. And im not finishing with the truoil yet!
DSCN2535.jpg

Form and Function. Looking good.

Colorado, I agree, way better. Glad I bought a kit and sent it FG.

Jono

well its almost done guys. I have a handful of trim screws that i have to brown and some steel i have to clean up a bit and shes done. I have it put together right now so the stock can set up and and cure better. Shes pretty! Wish it were mine to be honest LOL.

We went with an antique brown finish with some wear N tear look to it.

Anything thats left in silver we decided to go and antique by leaving some marks in the steel and leave it a dull worn finish look. On the wedge key plate screws i actually used some wood stain and hit it with some 600gr grit sand paper so it looks a little rusty.

The lock plate i have an image coming but it will take a couple more days of thinking and just staring at it before i know for certain what i want to do with it. I swear, some times the hardest work is the mental image you try to see and work with before putting that image into the real deal.

Also modified the nipple that came with the gun and gave it a slight concave / pocket look to help spread the flame around. I do this on all of my sidelocks and the performance is outstanding.

The butt plate, toe plate and trigger guard i browned BUT i left the rusting agent on for 4 days an once i washed everything off and steel wooled it/ oiled, i was left with a grainy texture which i really like a lot. You can set the butt plate on top of your boot and it won't slip off easily like the smooth finish does.

So now i will get to work on browning the screws! Only 8 to do.

i think im done. I ran out of browning agent so im trying my best to rust brown a screw and a bushing but other than that, i think its finished.

Ohh i will get some once shes complete.

I know i spent a lot of time on my other GPR's getting the steel all pretty and such but on this one we did an antique finish and i got to tell you, i wish this were my gun. The rough antique finish just made it look perfect in my eyes.

You always hear, ahhh do it perfect, the scratches and rusty steel will happen over time. BS! It never happens on my guns and so the next GPR i build for myself, is getting done just like this one was! No more highly polish steel and browned furniture. This thing hit my sweet spot perfectly and its not mine! :cry:

Jon, i hope you like it man. I added a german silver front sight for you as its a good deal thinner than the original GPR sight. I also added the Adjustable rear sight.

Back