Great Plains Rifle Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here we have it.
DSCN2662.jpg

DSCN2654.jpg

DSCN2655.jpg

DSCN2656.jpg

DEEP Plumb Brown.
DSCN2657.jpg

DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2659.jpg

DSCN2660.jpg

DSCN2661.jpg

LOL no scope on this'n! I did use my little stick on peep sight though and the sights were clear as sin. I don't think i ever tried my peep with the iron sights like this before. Talk about a huge difference.

Thank you. She is beautiful. Can't wait to shoot it though it looks like I have to wait for A1smokepole first. LOL

Jono said:
Thank you. She is beautiful. Can't wait to shoot it though it looks like I have to wait for A1smokepole first. LOL
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I ordered one in left hand flint. It will be my rendezvous gun.

I'm going to have Jon perk it up like yours. I was going to do it, but Jon does better work than I do.

In this case, I felt doing it right and doing it myself were mutually exclusive! Well worth it to go with a kit and send it to Jon.

Thats right I have to test it frist before the owner gets it and see if it works :twisted:

I can tell you had fun working with that english walnut...beautiful job :!: ...Rifle looks awesome.

Jono said:
In this case, I felt doing it right and doing it myself were mutually exclusive! Well worth it to go with a kit and send it to Jon.
For some reason they don't make a left hand kit. I made out though. I found a factory built LH Flint for $394 shipped. That's cheaper than most kits, and about $200 cheaper than what most places sell a built gun for.

It will be a little more work for Jon on some things, and less work in other things. It should equal out to a kit.

Wow Colorado, that is a great price.

I found my kit at Bud's Guns for $374 shipped. Factory rifles were in the low to mid $500 range at most places I found online.

That kit price gave me plenty of wiggle room to pay the artist to build it.

I was shocked when I found the place with those prices. I called him and asked if he made a mistake an d meant the guns were kits. He chucked, and said everybody thinks that. He said he was over stock with the guns, and wants to move them out. He said he's selling them below his cost, and wouldn't be ordering anymore.

I didn't have the money to buy mine, but he let me put it on layaway. I'm excited to get it. It will be my first flint. I'm recoil sensitive, and always worried about the steel curved butt plate. Now that i'm just going to use it for shoots. A light Goex 2F load should be easy on my shoulder. Especially, in a 9 1/2lb gun.

Don'r get too excited if your gun isn't as accurate as you want at first. They say it takes 100 rounds to break in the barrel. I'm not sure if I want to JB my barrel to speed up the process, or just shoot it to break it in..

Whats more fun, 100 bore strokes or 100 shots? LOL.

Jon gave mine some JB treatment. I'll do the rest. I've got 100 RBs at home right now with another 100 on the way.

Looking forward to seeing your gun!

I'm sitting here daydreaming of a december stalk hunt with mine.

Jono

It may be a winter project for Jon. It might be a little while before I get the gun off layaway, and then I want to shoot it to make sure I like it. I'm sure I will, because i'm in love with Hawkens, and the GPR is very close for a production gun. It gets even closer when Jon gets done with it. Although I have some ideas that will be a bit different than yours.

I say i'm not going to hunt with it, but i'm sure that will change. I keep thinking of a deer hunt in the late winter too. There's something about hunting in the snowy Rockies in timber with a Hawken that's so appealing. Jeremiah Johnson anyone? :D

Speaking of Jeremiah Johnson, I keep waiting for it to come from Netflix...have to wade through my wife's choices first. LOL.

Although tonight I'm watching the new "True Grit".

Jono

yep 200 strokes of JB Bore paste really smoothed out the barrel and took the bite off those sharp lands.

No i have not shot it. I have to run over to new mexico on thursday so i may pick up some #11s and give her a try. I just hate firing someone elses new rifle before they can LOL. But i gladly will and then possibly make a video just to make jon wiggle in his seat with excitement :lol:

That sounds good. Show the recoil at different loads. Do you have some BP? RS will be close enough if you don't.

Back