hang fire with bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmen

Reaction score
you may have seen in my other post. in my knight LRH with the FPJ and the standard concave breech plug. i got about 5 hang fires. this never happened with 777. i was using w209 primers and 120gr of powder. i took the plug out and it didn't seem to dirty, i could see light through it. there was alot of blow back coming around the primer and getting on my blt face and was dirty and hard to clean up.
any ideas.

I too have a LRH that I have not shot yet but plan on with the BH209.Everything that I have been reading says that you must have a TIGHT fitting Bullet/Sabot Combo or you could experience hangfires.You do not mention what you are using,maybe this is a possibility?.If the Bullet is not a possibility,try using Federal 209A or CCI 209M primers,I believe these are the hottest primers available.Someone please chime in if I am wrong,I don't want to have any problems when I shoot my LRH.Hope this helps. ------------- Rich

i feel as though there is a good seal. i'm using the FPJ and the bullets were harvester 300gr scoprion pt golds with crush rib sabot and the barnes 290gr tmz with yellow sabot. the crush ribs were easier to load and the barnes were harder, both had the hangfires. i'm going to try new primers, cci 209m. i had been using the w209.

Back