Hangfire problem. Any suggestions appreciated

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefteye

Reaction score
I get an occasional hangfire in my Triumph. I am using Blackhorn 209 and Winchester 209 primers. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Several shots go off fine, then a hangfire ot two, then it's fine again. Sometimes it happens after cleaning, sometimes not. I alway blow a cap through before loading.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

If you haven't used a 1/8" drill spun by hand in the flash channel of your breech plug, it is probably plugged some, with hard hard carbon. You may have to start smaller, and finish with the 1/8" drill to get it opened up. This may cure your issues.

If you are not cleaning the flame passage between the primer seat and the touch hole [the small hole in the business end of the breach plug then that's the problem. Take a 1/8 inch drill and clean it out by hand,you might want to make a small wood handle, drilling it with a drill could damage the breach plug.

If the problem continues after your sure the breech is clear,..make 100% sure the bullet is seated firmly on the powder charge also. Went shooting with my brother in law last week,...pretty much shoot the same gun, powder, bullet, sabot and primer combo,..he was getting a hangfire one out of every 4-5 shots or so, I was running without a glitch....after the 4th hangfire I took a look at his set up after he loaded it and was able to get the bullet to seat approx another 1/2" pretty easily. After paying attention to that,..ran another 40 shots without a bump.

After using the 1/8" drill to clean the flash channel, you might want to step it up on the primers to the CCI209M or the Federal 209A. They're hotter and provide a more consistent ignition.

Same as what everybody else has said. I've only had one ignition problem with BH and it was after 14 shots without taking care of the breech plug. Ran the 1/8th drill bit in the plug and didn't have any problems again after that. And then just make sure you're using a hot primer.

Latest posts

Back