Hawken - potential issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow talk about gun control ! i normally buy tc hawken or renegade for $125
It's the price we pay for being so isolated. Local businesses are so expensive that lots of people went to online shopping, it was cheaper for a long time to buy something from the US even with dollar coversion and pay for shipping than buy it here in Aus. Businesses of course complained and now the govt taxes everything we bring into Australia from the US.

The Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken is a DREAM Rifle of mine, and has been for a LONG TIME, I have spoke about it MANY Times across the Forums. The Darn things are EXPENSIVE! And me having as many Great Shooting Muzzleloaders as i have, It’s hard for me to Justify the Purchase. BUT if i were looking to Own only 1 REALLY Nice Sidelock Muzzleloader, I would look SERIOUSLY at the “Missouri River Hawken” It would have to be the .50 Cal for me Due to it’s 1:24 Twist, And Due to my Love for Shooting Bullets over Patched Roundball, I prefer a .45 Caliber Muzzleloader over ALL other Calibers, and They make the “Missouri River Hawken“ in .45, But its an ODDBALL 1:47 Twist, No idea why they did that???

I'm not normally recoil sensitive but I've never shot a brass plate butt rifle before. How much harsher is it than a recoil pad? Particularly when using 90-110 gn loads and larger projectiles?

That would be my only downside to the missouri aside from price. I don't want a gun I don't enjoy shooting is all.

I suppose I also don't particularly like buckhorn sights. It's a shame the hunter doesn't come in a maple version otherwise I'd have no second guesses.

Last edited:
I'm not normally recoil sensitive but I've never shot a brass plate butt rifle before. How much harsher is it than a recoil pad? Particularly when using 90-110 gn loads and larger projectiles?

That would be my only downside to the missouri aside from price. I don't want a gun I don't enjoy shooting is all.

I suppose I also don't particularly like buckhorn sights. It's a shame the hunter doesn't come in a maple version otherwise I'd have no second guesses.

I am not particularly fond of Crescent Butt plates, They are designed to be shot from the Top of the Bicep, NOT tucked in the Shoulder. That’s Cool and all, But I am in to FUNCTIONAL, I could care less about TRADITIONAL. The Crescent Butt Plate on My Brand New in the Box Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” Rifle was so Sharp that it was DANGEROUS, It truly had a Knife edge, I removed the Butt Plate and used my Dremel Tool with Sanding Wheel and Took that RIDICULOUS Sharp edge off, I touched it up with Cold Blue, Lightly Oiled the Butt Plate, Filled the U Shape Crescent With Memory Foam, and installed a Cimmaron Leather Lace up Pad, This is MUCH BETTER For my use/Style of Shooting :lewis:

a4vNEPj.jpg

I did the same to 1 of my TC Hawkens, Even Though the TC Hawken Crescent Butt Plate has never Bothered me, I can do with, or without it
RUji68c.jpg

Here’s a Fella that made a Mistake with the Lyman Great Plains and Punched a Hole in his Shoulder. He obviously wasn’t holding the Rifle just Forward of the Bicep, the way the Crescent Butt Plate was designed to be Shot. For heavy Recoiling Rifles Such as BIG Bullets in a .50 Cal, or .54 Cal, The Lyman Great Plains Crescent Butt Plate is/was a BAD idea
vOeQmEo.jpg

1 look at the Top edge of this Butt Plate and you can see what i mean, and How it Cut the Guy above. This thing is RIDICULOUS, and DANGEROUSLY Sharp, If Playing Traditional, Period Correct is your thing, Then So be it, But this sure isn’t for me!
dJrIVTM.jpg

@Idaholewis that does not sound like something very pleasant at all. Kind of makes the decision a bit easier for me. Much the same as yourself the I prefer practicality of tradition where to two collide.

It's been a whirlwind here, tried to get quotes on the Ped hunter. They were $1200 but there are none left in the country, the next shipment is in 2 weeks and there are none on it. They only do one shipment a year to Australia and in the next one in 12 months time it will see the price rise to $1600. Think I'll be sticking with my Thompson Center for a while after all.

Back