Hawken Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
FINALLY got the Hawken stock in today. I was really starting to get worried there for a while.

Stock looks great, lock is perfect as its new. Brass needs a whole lot of buffing and polishing, I do not look forward to that at all. Barrel channel is 15/16th and so I decided what the heck.... Im going with a 54cal round ball barrel from deer creek.

Pretty wood grain on it to, I already have the stain to do it but will not touch the stock until I order all the screws I need and get them screwed into place. Then the file and sanding block comes out for some play time.

We will see what I can do with her over time.

DSCN4819.jpg

Yeah its going to get polished and then blacked out with brass black. I have to gather the parts together and then stare at it until some vision pops into my head.

Had a problem with the barrel not dropping into the stock,turned out to be some casting burrs in the lock area that was holding up
the barrel. I will remove these tomorrow. Stock fits the stock very
snug, i was going to glass bed, but am having second thoughts now after
seeing how well things fit. Maybe just a tang bed job.
DSCN5037.jpg

Forward area has a good machining burr that wasnt taken down enough
DSCN5049.jpg

DSCN5052.jpg

I like to let the brass on mine darken and discolor with age. I think it gives the gun more character.

I got the lock fixed barrel drops in nice and snug, hammer lines up perfect. I also removed some wood from the lock mortise and got it real nice and flush.

Right now I seriously want a gunsmith to cut the new dovetail for the wedge tenon. I dont want to screw this up, its going nicely to take a chance.

8lbs 6oz is what she weighed in at. I still have a good deal of wood i have to trim off and then we will see.
DSCN5069.jpg

Bedded tang and rear section of barrel last night. Just separated the parts today and it looks great.
DSCN5110.jpg

I can hear the whining now with that butt plate. :affraid:

Better start bench pressing.

Oh no its not as bad as the GPR butt plate. Its only a 280?? grain round ball.

Yes, but you're used to guns with a recoil pad.

Then again. At your age I was shooting elephant guns, and laughing about it.

.54 ball weigh around 225 -230gr and with ball the recoil will be mild even with that 110gr load

Back