Hawken Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the flash made it look that way, i can get some better ones later.

Yes i used 0000 steel wool soaked in RIG and its purdy now lol

here we go, a nice dark grayish black finish. I like it, i even did the hammer to and then buffed it down. The lock plate might get this as well. Will decide once i have a finish on the stock.
DSCN5253.jpg

DSCN5252.jpg

DSCN5254.jpg

I read that more Hawkens were blued than browned. Not sure if it's true. It's hard to tell with most real Hawkens they are so beat up, but when they take off the barrels they can see the bluing on the covered areas.

they said they were mostly "browned" due to the rust from heavy use in the mountains.

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
they said they were mostly "browned" due to the rust from heavy use in the mountains.
Truth is very few mountain men had Hawkens. The fur trade was about over when the Hawkens were in good supply. The majority were on the plains.

Yes its nice seeing something come together even you did'nt do all the work yourself ;)

well most of the stock shaping it finished. The cheek piece area was a pain in the butt due to so much wood that had to be removed. I did a sand job with 150 and then wet the stock to whisker it, going to hit it with 220grit tomorrow and then stain with walnut. Make sure i didnt miss any bad scratches and such.

2 coats birchwood casey walnut, let dry, soak 0000 steel wool in boiled linseed oil and lightly buff for a smooth finish and a great way to test color of stain. Remove with mineral spirits if more stain is needed.

I loved it so much that i doubt i will put a truoil finish on it.

Lighter spots are the natural colors of the wood after oiling. Its in the perfect spots too where the stock normally would get a lot of wear and tear from normal handling if you were a mountain man, tramping all over the mountains.
DSCN5327.jpg

DSCN5328.jpg

DSCN5330.jpg

DSCN5334.jpg

Not the greatest pics, i will get some with it outside tomorrow.

Still have a great deal of brass work to be done before i antique those parts. The worn barrel bluing job really set it off.

well i got 2 more coats to put on today before i let it sit for 1 full day to cure. After that i will wet sand with 2000 grit and apply 5 more coats before buffing it down with oiled steelwool.

Hey Spitfire.....Real mountain men have muzzleloaders with scrolling on the locks just my like my T/C's. :ss:

Joe

www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-prospering-new-republic/case-29-the-rifle-shop-and-the-plains-rifle/samuel-hawken-plains-rifle.aspx

I think you somehow doubled up on that link, Muley. Oops, u dun fixt it! ;)

Pretty heavy on the engraving other than the action area. Great looking specimen and probably worth a fortune.

Back