Hawken Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so friggin pumped right now! I got that 58cal barrel MOUNTED on the cva hawken stock now! I was waiting to pay a gunsmith to do it but tonight i had a wild hair up my rear end and so i went out into the shop and got the hack saw and some files. 45 minutes later i got that sucker as perfect as you could ask for!

I first glued the tenon to the barrel flat and took note of how much i had to remove " A little more than half of the original depth" and when i was cutting the dove tail one hack saw blade width at the time, i made sure to keep the lines even. After that i used a square file and got the chunk all taken out, used the saw blade again and held it flat to cut the taper and then finished up with a 3 sides triangle file. Tapped in the tenon nice and tight!

Now the gut wrenching part, Installing the wedge key. I push it in the stock slot, closed my eyes " I did really LOL" and with my thumb, pushed hard and wham! It went through with a good deal of pressure! Nice and tight baby!!

Man i cant tell you how good that makes me feel. I normally rush things like this and end up with a screw up in the end. Not this time! Patience and slow work got a perfect fit.

No need to pay a gunsmith now! Work is DONE and now all she needs is a peep sight and a ball mold.

DSCN5508.jpg

Latest posts

Back