Hawken Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that was a special order gun if it came from Hawken that way. Most were very plain looking. Even with all that special work the lock is plain with no engraving.

Just the way is must be . Rather spend the effort getting the gun to shoot straight than to engrave the lock !

well i love it! Just did the 0000 steel wool soaked in linseed oil to dull down the sheen. I have to let the stock for for a few hours and then i can go back with the oiled steel wool and knock down the glossy areas that i missed in the hard to reach areas. Stock is smooth as glass.

I'll have it a good 3 days before i pull the brass back off and polish it and then antique it.
DSCN5389.jpg

DSCN5388.jpg

DSCN5386.jpg

Looking good, but what's with your pictures? You can do better than that. Take them outside.

So, how are you going to use it? Elk on the ground?

elk on the ground when i hunt them yes. Deer/bear from the stand next year hopefully.

I'll take it outside later when its not so bright out. Had some new snow so i have to wait for the lighting to die down.

Okay heres some so-so pics. When ever winter rolls around, i am unable to get those real purdy pics i normally take. The sun is in a completely different position that always makes the pictures dark and gives off a glare on what ever i am taking pics of. Man she feels good in the hand though.
DSCN5404.jpg

DSCN5403.jpg

DSCN5402.jpg

This pic shows the worn bluing off greatly. When you take it out in the open light, the gun just looks so much better. A good solid feel to it when you shoulder is. Even was practicing my aim on the alpaca's lol.
DSCN5401.jpg

DSCN5400.jpg

DSCN5394.jpg

DSCN5398.jpg

DSCN5396.jpg

Hell ya!! You did a great job on it. I like the worn look you gave it.

Don't sell it.

nope after having them tell me they only had a few 58cal barrels left, im keeping mine! I will order a 54cal barrel for it later as a back up to have for it.

I would like to try building one sometime myself. You did a nice job FG.

By the way, I just seen a 58 cal Cabelas Hawken on Armslist in a Denver location.

Joe

Jon does the brass stay blacked out permanently?
Looks like you're having fun with this project. I like it!

Joe

You can use steel wool and buff it back to the antique look you are after.

It certainly will scratch off in heavy use, but easy to touch up.

Did you forget the ferrules on the barrel or didn't they do as well?
Nice job overall!

I actually did the ramrod thimbles last night to get rid of all ugly brass lol

put the wedge key area right in the middle of your palm and you are balanced.

Back