Heavy BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It happens to everyone at the beginning. Info overload. Ya gotta keep yer powder dry. Theres lots of ways to do that. How you do it tho is up to you. Lane tubes, bh209 tubes, a prescription bottle, ziploc bag(probably not durable enuff), whatever. You may have what you need already laying around your house.

Keep all your stuff dry. But don't overcomplicate it.

You need to practice the way youre going to hunt to make sure its gonna work for you. Everyone does it differently. When i started out i tried to prepare for every possibility. I was lugging atound so much junk I could barely get to actual hunting. I figured out what isnt likely and stopped prepping for that stuff.
That was a fantastic post for a newbie to help & clarify without clouds of confusion & complication. Great job brotha.
I would like to add that Lanes Tubes ( he is a MML member & has eBay store ) is a MUCH better source for the 5 & 10ml tubes with screw on & push in caps than the price in the pic above. 20) 10ml tubes & that lil plastic box for 20.00 is high as heck even with shipping. I got a 50 10ml tube lot for 20.00 & got the box like that from Bass Pro shop ( walmart has them too ) for 3-4.00. So when I buy more that's the way I'm goin about it. If ya order multiple lots from Lane hit him up in a messg & he'll hook ya up with a " group discount " too. Now that ya can't beat.
Also, as for practicing how you hunt is spot on advice and another thing to consider is having that procedure down to as few efficient moves as quickly & smoothly as possible before you find yourself pullin the trigger on Bull Winkle or a bear big enough to eat Bull Winkle in one sitting & ya want to or NEED TO load a follow up shot,you do NOT want to be fumblin around all pumped up with excitement & adrenaline overload like a retard on crack with your charge/load/prime procedure & perhaps really screw up. Ya want that muscle memory down solid right down to payin attn to your seating pressure too. It's gonna be hard enough rememberin which pocket ya put your reloads you so meticulously put together is in & then keep from droppin bullets, primers, especially if you're cold too. Have all that down like you are a front line infinitry man in the revolutionary war.
Lastly, back to them plastic tubes, be aware that if storin powder in air tight containers that it's in temp/humidity controlled environment. I'm in Fl & I had my Black powder & BH 209 in tubes on my shooting table & I noticed they began to sweat inside. I had it happen before when leavin a box of charged tubes on a table that got direct afternoon sun through a window. So tryin to keep your powder dry by creating a scenario for them to get wet INSIDE what you're storing it in, isn't a practical method. Lol

Last edited:
That was a fantastic post for a newbie to help & clarify without clouds of confusion & complication. Great job brotha.
I would like to add that Lanes Tubes ( he is a MML member & has eBay store ) is a MUCH better source for the 5 & 10ml tubes with screw on & push in caps than the price in the pic above. 20) 10ml tubes & that lil plastic box for 20.00 is high as heck even with shipping. I got a 50 10ml tube lot for 20.00 & got the box like that from Bass Pro shop ( walmart has them too ) for 3-4.00. So when I buy more that's the way I'm goin about it. If ya order multiple lots from Lane hit him up in a messg & he'll hook ya up with a " group discount " too. Now that ya can't beat.
Also, as for practicing how you hunt is spot on advice and another thing to consider is having that procedure down to as few efficient moves as quickly & smoothly as possible before you find yourself pullin the trigger on Bull Winkle or a bear big enough to eat Bull Winkle in one sitting & ya want to or NEED TO load a follow up shot,you do NOT want to be fumblin around all pumped up with excitement & adrenaline overload like a retard on crack with your charge/load/prime procedure & perhaps really screw up. Ya want that muscle memory down solid right down to payin attn to your seating pressure too. It's gonna be hard enough rememberin which pocket ya put your reloads you so maticulously put together is in & then keep from droppin bullets, primers, especially if you're cold too. Have all that down like you are a front line infinitry man in the revolutionary war.
Lastly, back to them plastic tubes, be aware that if storin powder in air tight containers that it's in temp/humidity controlled environment. I'm in Fl & I had my Black powder & BH 209 in tubes on my shooting table & I noticed they began to sweat inside. I had it happen before when leavin a box of charged tubes on a table that got direct afternoon sun threw a window. So tryin to keep your powder dry by creating a scenario for them to get wet INSIDE what you're storing it in, isn't a practical method. Lol
Great post to a great post! I really like the glass tubes because they look traditional rather then the plastic tubes I'm using now. I guess I should have said right out of the gate, I don't hunt! I have hunted and I know how to hunt and I don't begrudge anybody the activity. I think it's something every person should know how to do. Having spent a few years in the infantry, I know weight and simplicity is paramount in the field. I'm strictly a target shooter. I like all the acoutrements and the precision a shooter can achieve with these rifles and pistols. I am actually in the process of building a custom range box and I'm considering using the glass tubes as part of my kit. I think it'll add a classy look to what I'm doing. And it's hard to beat the prices stated for any tubes.KIMG0691.JPG

Great post to a great post! I really like the glass tubes because they look traditional rather then the plastic tubes I'm using now. I guess I should have said right out of the gate, I don't hunt! I have hunted and I know how to hunt and I don't begrudge anybody the activity. I think it's something every person should know how to do. Having spent a few years in the infantry, I know weight and simplicity is paramount in the field. I'm strictly a target shooter. I like all the acoutrements and the precision a shooter can achieve with these rifles and pistols. I am actually in the process of building a custom range box and I'm considering using the glass tubes as part of my kit. I think it'll add a classy look to what I'm doing. And it's hard to beat the prices stated for any tubes.View attachment 8942
Right on Cent540 & Thanks. Glass tubes, thats old school nostalgic cool, but only if you're bench shooting & have them in a box or guys like me ( a bull in a china shop ) would have broken tubes every dang time they turn around in the field. Building the boxes & using wood I think is pretty dang cool, plz make sure ya show the class some finished pieces all set up. Luv the scooter seat shop stool. Its close to what I had on my last panhead.

I keep it fairly simple. I bought tubes at a electronics supply shop CHEAP. I put filled tubes in Ziplock bags with weight written in Sharpie. The bags with filled tubes go in US milspec ammo boxes. Ive also used shot shell holders. MTM brand i think they were. Those fit in a plastic box with a similar rubber seal as the ammo boxes. IIRC i bought those boxes at Cabelas many years ago. Ammo can i bought at gunshows but you can buy brand spanking new ones at Costco/Sams occasionally too.

Right on Cent540 & Thanks. Glass tubes, thats old school nostalgic cool, but only if you're bench shooting & have them in a box or guys like me ( a bull in a china shop ) would have broken tubes every dang time they turn around in the field. Building the boxes & using wood I think is pretty dang cool, plz make sure ya show the class some finished pieces all set up. Luv the scooter seat shop stool. Its close to what I had on my last panhead.
Yeh, bikes are another whole hobby, lol.
Some day my wife's gonna do me in while I'm sleeping, lolIMG_20151028_122332.jpg

Yeh, bikes are another whole hobby, lol.
Some day my wife's gonna do me in while I'm sleeping, lolView attachment 8943

If you are gonna ride, you can't have too many bikes.

Let's see....

Nineteen-aught Harley

Indian Four

Indian Scout

WWII Harley w/ Sidecar & Thompson .45 SMG mount

'40's BMW / Bullet Nose Sidecar

Panhead

Shovelhead

FXR

Norton Commando

Vincent Black Lightning
Vincent Black Shadow

Triumph Bonneville

Bultaco Sherpa T

Honda 50, aka Dream City

Suzuki 650

and........................

Edit to above: I can dream, can't I?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered 144 each, 6 dram, borosilicate glass vials with black, screw top caps from Discount Vials.

I did so after considering the Lanes tubes for about a week.

#CT242770, Cap # F217
$66.20 + $8.95 (shipping)= $75.15
52.2 cents each

Also available in quantities of 25.

6 Drams
164.063 Grains
22.17 Mililiters
0.75 Ounces
Dimensions w/o cap:
27mm / 1.06" in diameter
70mm / 2.75" in height

I picked the 6 dram size for 4 reasons:

1. Will work for a rifle or a pistol
2. Will fit in a MTM 3", 12 gauge shotshell box
3. The wider mouth will be easier to fill with a small funnel
4. Glass is more anti-static than plastic

There are other sizes available.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are gonna ride, you can't have too many bikes.

Let's see....

Nineteen-aught Harley

Indian Four

Indian Scout

WWII Harley w/ Sidecar & Thompson .45 SMG mount

'40's BMW / Bullet Nose Sidecar

Panhead

Shovelhead

FXR

Norton Commando

Vincent Black Lightning
Vincent Black Shadow