Help me choose an in-line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m in the process of choosing my first in-line muzzleloader. I’m wondering if I should pick up a new/used Wolf, Optima, Pursuit (Or any other newer gun you recommend) Or something older like a Knight Disk, MK85 etc. etc.

This will be strictly a deer hunting rifle. I am not a novelist so choosing a gun based on anything other than effectiveness, efficiency and convenience doesn’t interest me much. Looking forward to your advice!

Wolf is a great starter gun and will put meat in the freezer..I’m gonna be that guy and just say it..if ya can find a used omega, buy it..you won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega is also on the list!!! I think I’ll pass on the wolf. I’d rather get something that’s more of a performer than an entry gun

Like I said can’t go wrong with an omega.. in either .45 or .50

scottprice said:
Omega is also on the list!!! I think I’ll pass on the wolf. I’d rather get something that’s more of a performer than an entry gun
They are building some real nice customs on the omegas too. Just a thought.

I saw that omega too and it is creeping around in my mind. But I need it like I need another hole in my head. :roll:

Re: RE: Help me choose an in-line

scottprice said:
Hi guys, I’m in the process of choosing my first in-line muzzleloader. I’m wondering if I should pick up a new/used Wolf, Optima, Pursuit (Or any other newer gun you recommend) Or something older like a Knight Disk, MK85 etc. etc.

This will be strictly a deer hunting rifle. I am not a novelist so choosing a gun based on anything other than effectiveness, efficiency and convenience doesn’t interest me much. Looking forward to your advice!
I'm thinking about moving my knight disc elite 45

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think I've got too many holes in my head up to 32 muzzleloaders now plus a wall full of air rifles, not going to buy anymore :D

ShawnT said:
scottprice said:

I saw that omega too and it is creeping around in my mind. But I need it like I need another hole in my head. :roll:

dbowling said:
I think I've got too many holes in my head up to 32 muzzleloaders now plus a wall full of air rifles, not going to buy anymore :D

ShawnT said:
scottprice said:

I don' feel so bad now Dean, Thanks! :lol:

If you get the bolt nose conversion kit from derfhunter they are great can shoot bh209 and very clean.. I went and sold mine like a dumb!@# after i got kit installed.

scottprice said:
Can anyone comment on the rem700 with 209 ignition??

I should note, that I have a full tub of BH 209. I would like to use that if possible. I know some guns are not recommended to shoot that powder. I have no problem buying new parts, like a breech plug, similar to how the CVAs need that in order to shoot that powder

The omega and encore platforms with the concave breech plug is just about as good of a design for bh209 as it gets

again agree with this Omegas are just plain tough to beat, we can give you tons of suggestions and our opinions but your never gonna know till you pull the trigger and try one or the other.

Steelheader323 said:
The omega and encore platforms with the concave breech plug is just about as good of a design for bh209 as it gets

32 wow, I have 23 and want more, at least I feel a little normal after reading this post. I also am crazy about this muzzleloader game. I also agree with omega, I have 5 now, probably one of the best guns ever made, simple and very accurate with multiple loads, good luck I always see good deals on omegas

There are a couple things you should keep in mine. One is your states hunting laws. If you have any limits on Ignition style, Projectiles allowed, use of Optics or open sites. Next is the Fit and Feel of the rifle. I personally think the Fit and Feel of the rifle is more important with a muzzleloader than a CF. Length of pull , Cheek Pieces Wrist styles all play into whether a rifle will fit or even Feel good in your hands. I've had problems with this with some rifles that I really wanted and just could not get them to shoot for me just because it did not fit me right. While you still have an open mind on "What" style rifle you want, I would recommend that you look for a couple Shops in your area that carry some rifles and go there just to handle them, not buy. Some you might find feel great and others just don't. Plus that outing is usually fun!

If you want to shoot BH then don't look at the Plunger style rifles, such as the MK-85, Traditions Bolt/Plunger (Like the Thunderbolt/Evolution), etc. They are not recommended for BH. Stick to the True Bolt actions like the Knight Extreme, Mountaineer series, The Knight Vision break action, CVA's break actions like the Wolf, Optima, Accura, TC Triumph or Omega. All of them either come BH ready or with a plug swap become BH ready. The older Remington 700 ML is a good rifle and it has really benefited with the Hunter Bolt nose kit that has been mentioned. The New Rem 700 ML is a different rifle. It was designed for Pellets but there is a new conversion for it to make it work well with BH. There are others here more familiar with that set up.

Agree with the others. Omega is good option. So are many options with Knight... someone above mentioned selling an Elite, they are excellent imo. Also, Knight did have some sales going on - not sure if it still is - and there are a couple of good options in the classifieds here for top end used rifles. :yeah:

I agree the Omega is a great gun but I prefer the Prohunter. I have also had a couple Knights, a Rem 700, and a few CVA’s. Personally I won’t buy another bolt action muzzeloader again for hunting. Unless I was going to go with a Hankins Custom smokeless or something. As far as regular muzzeloaders are concerned I’m a break action guy. There just easier to clean, work on and take care of in the field while hunting.

I prefer the TC Prohunter out of all the muzzeloaders out there myself. It shoots great and they don’t make anything easier to clean or take care of. Plus it’s versitililty is unmatched. For 400 bucks I can buy any new rifle caliber that trips my trigger at the time from MGM and have a custom barrel that will shot one ragged hole groups. In like 2 mins I can go from a 50cal muzzeloader to a 308,30/06,35 Whelen or about any other caliber. I can also get a smokeless muzzeloader barrel if I want. The TC Prohunters versatility cant be matched.

Latest posts

Back