Help. New to muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b smith

Reaction score
Have never used or know a lot about it, but want to get a inline 50 cal.
What is the best pick for me, want to hunt whitetail and have a different
Challenge , like every other hobby I didn?t want to buy a cheap one first only to realize I should have bought a little better one to begin with .Thought I better ask the people that know .Any suggestion?
Thanks

b smith

First off I would like to welcome you to the forum, You will find a lot of guys here that are willing to go the extra mile to help out in any way we can. And remm. there are no stupid Questions all Quest. are good ones.
You will also find that Every one has there fav. gun maker also, I own the cheepy guns and the higher end guns also and they both shoot good .
Now I will admit that the higher end guns are made better and hold tighter tollerences on there bores Diameters.

This is my suggestion to you BUY the best that you can afford.

LOOK AT THESE FIRST THESE are great guns and won't break your bank.
KNIGHT
T/C

other good guns are - CVA - TRADITIONS

RON G.

First off welcome to the forum. It is great to have you here.

Before you pick your muzzleloader out, know the laws that pertain to muzzleloading in your State. Are scopes allowed? Are certain powders forbidden? What about the ignition system restrictions? Some States or States you might want to hunt, do not allow 209 ignition, closed breech, etc. And last consider what you want to spend. Spending a little more now, might save you a lot of headache later.

There are some good inexpensive rifles out there that will do the job for the one week a year hunter that shoots out to 100 yards. Almost any rifle will do that with practice. Then there are the mid range rifles that can have a nicer fit, better sights, perhaps other little things that appeal to you like ignition, stock design, etc. If money is not the issue then the sky is the limit.

If I had $300.00 to spend. And wanted a rifle that would do it all. I would look at a Knight Rolling Block, Some of the older Knight rifles on auction sites, and some of the Thompson Center lines of rifles. They have out of the box guaranteed accuracy (although some people claim they do not shoot well for them), great customer service, and tech support for getting load help, or just you have some questions about the rifle. Also most of them will handle magnum charges if that is your thing. Although magnum charges are not as important as you might find out and later learn.

The big thing is know what is legal, what you want to spend, and then start looking at rifles. If you find one that interests you, let us know and we will tell you whether we have good experiences, bad experiences, etc..

Until then, keep looking at them, handle them if possible and see what fits and appeals to you. Then look in your wallet and see if it is possible, and then tell us what you decided on.. Good luck in your search.

This is what texas parks wildlife states

Muzzleloader: Any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

Is this rifle a good choice?
Thompson Center Omega Z5 Rifle - Blue/Black
TC's patented pivoting action
No need for a capper or any other priming system
Magnum-charge capability
28" blued barrel with a 1-in-28" twist
Black synthetic stock
it comes with a starter kit
from cabelas for $250.00

I"m not pushing for this one but it looked like a good deal?

I got that gun from Cabelas in September and it has shot well for me but I have only put about 90 rounds through it so far. If you do decide to go with it then many people here can give you ideas on powder, sabots and bullets to use. That will save you some time and money getting started.

Cayuga were you referring to
Knight KRB Rolling Block Rifle ? Stainless/Black
The KRB7 muzzleloader with a stainless barrel and black stock. Length of pull: 13-3/4". Overall length: 43". Weight: 8 lbs. Available: .50 caliber. Item: XH-216368
as being accurate out of box Cabelas has that one also

First off.. I like Knight rifles. The only rifle they have out currently that even interests me is the rolling block. R&R Arms have the stainless steel model for under $300.00. A few of the people have been getting them and reporting good range accuracy, well made, little blow back. I do not own one.. yet.

The Thompson Center Omega is a good rifle. The Z5 model is their generic model of the Omega. A cheaper stock, and sights I believe. But those that have them do claim they are good shooters. If I were going to a T/C I would look at the new Triumph or a standard Omega with the better stock. But again, this is my personal opinion. I have a T/C Black Diamond XR that has been my no need for another inline. The way that Black Diamond XR shoots, it would be silly for me to get another one because it will not out shoot my Black Diamond XR.

Another favorite rifle I own and shoot are White Rifles. If you like to throw large conicals then a White Rifle is hard to beat. White is no longer made through. You have to find them on the market and they normally draw pretty good money for a good one.

I also own two Knight Rifles. Both of them are great shooters. They are well made and have a great warranty.

For someone starting out? I'd probably pick a T/C Omega and forget it. I've owed three of them and they are quality rifles and are generally very accurate. I'd probably go ahead and one that was SS if I could afford it while I was at it. VERY easy to clean and no primer residue to ruin the finish on a scope. The Omega is one VERY user-friendly muzzleloader.

Hey welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie too, let me pass this on to you....Check out www.gunsamerica.com I ordered my T/C Omega all camo, thumbhole stock, from a dealer on there, and got an awesome deal on the gun, I'm pretty sure it was something like $350.00 shipped to my door, you can't touch the gun anywhere for that price, but that was a little less than a year ago that I got that deal, it was brand new...the dealer was from BAD AXE Michigan...I'm very pleased with my Omega! -- Van

I bought a used CVA Eclipse Hunter (bolt style) with a 209 primer a year or so ago with a decent 3x9 scope from someone for $70... it was sighted in @ 100 yards using 100 grains of T7 pellets and 295 grain HP Power Belts... it is extremely accurate, but I dod not like the bolt setup - made WAY too much noise when I was trying to cock it, especially when the deer were close.

Shooting this gun "casually" I figured out real quick I wanted a break open action... coincidentally my brother bought a CVA Optima black synthetic/nickle barrel and I thought it was a nice gun when I shot it. THis confirmed I wanted a break open style.

Last week I walked into my local sports store and low and behold a used (2 year old) CVA Optima was on the shelf - black synthetic, nickle barrel, brand new Simmons 3x9 scope, bore sighted, new breech plug and checked from top to bottom by the gunsmith... they took it on a trade for work done to a varmit rifle. I walked out the door with it for $175, thought it was a decent deal.

Go and see how different ones "fit" when you bring them up. I thought I wanted the Omega, but when I lifted it, it did not feel right. I tried one with the thumhole and it drove me nuts :lol: !!!

I would say, figure out what kind of action you want, narrow it down by price, then go and "feel" them to see how they fit your body!

OK

There it goes I wasn't going to push any one brand of gun over another but I need to put my 2 cents worth in here.
But I own 2 KNIGHTS - THE KRB7 AND THE DISC EXTREM XT ,
A TC OMEGA A TRADITIONS TRACKER 209 And A CVA Optima

The CVA & TC also The Traditions are good Shooters BUT
THE KNIGHTS ARE GREAT Shooters I shoot Sabots out of the disc E. and Conicals Out of the KRB7. THEY sholder good barrles are made by GREEN MOUTAIN Barrle CO. Some of the BEST Barrels made.

My next gun will be a WHITE For Shooting Conicals. I love shooting the BIG led.

RON G.

While you are on a ML budget buy what you want to end up with .Selling/trading up usually cost you more money in the long run.

If you are not in a hurry you can find a good used T/C or Knight on this site and other sites as well.

The T/C Omega is a great starter rifle but if you were not on a budget the newer T/C "Triumpth" has all the new features that are now standard on new production ML rifles.

Chocdog

b smith

I just seen a Knight Disc rifle in the CLASSIFIEDs section on this forum for sale $225.00

JUST LISTED this morning

YOU MITE LOOK AT THAT GOOD DEAL

Ron

Cabelas also has this
Thompson Center Omega Thumbhole Rifle with Scope and Starter Kit - Blue/Black
is this the omega that is being recommended

What are the pros and cons I'm comparing this gun to the
KRB Rolling Block Rifle w/Scope ? Blued/Black (per feedback on forum)
Thanks for your help

The THumbhole Omega is the Omega people are reffering to... they also sell an Omega without the thumbhole (most manufactures do).

For me when I tried it, it felt funny! But I did like the Omega without the thumbhole stock. I just bought the Optima because it was a GREAT deal at the time.

I was narrowed down to three different models, but ultimately the deal I got is what drove me to the Optima - no brand loyalty here...

Like I said, ask questions and narrow it down to a handfull and go and look at them and pick them up and shoulder them. The one that fits will be the one you get!

Geez just did this

I boughta CVA Wolf 2 years ago because a, I didn't know squat about mL, b. becAUSE IT WAS LESS EXPENSIVE. Well I just upgraded to the Pro Hunterafter trying on, throwing up every type of ML I could get my hands on for the past year. The Wolf is a fine brush gun for me, but I wanted to reach further than 100 yards and push up my shooting skills. This forum will give you a million ideas and all from pro 's who know what is happening. If not in a hurry spend some time reading, save your money while learning and go go go to gun shops, ML shoots ask buddies etc. until you definitely narrow down the type, caliber and gun you want. I chose TC because it is well known, parts accessible and resale should be excellent if I take care of my weapon, lots of barrel configs, lot's of smithing oportunities for a customization if I want it. Don't go by the Ml fever you have now. get what fits you physically and mentally. Safe Hunting Man!

b smith said:
Cabelas also has this
Thompson Center Omega Thumbhole Rifle with Scope and Starter Kit - Blue/Black
is this the omega that is being recommended

What are the pros and cons I'm comparing this gun to the
KRB Rolling Block Rifle w/Scope ? Blued/Black (per feedback on forum)
Thanks for your help

I can only comment about the Omega because that's the one I've had experience with of the two you mentioned. The Omegas PROS:

1. Probably the easiest muzzleloader to clean out there.
2. No primer burn/residue on your scope.
3. Short gun for the barrel length.
4. Long barrel for top velocity.
5. Generally very accurate with a variety of saboted bullets.
6. Accessories(scope mounts, replacement ramrod, etc) available practically everywhere.
7. Better than average customer service.
8. Generally no bedding issues with one-piece stock.

I can honestly recommend the Omega .50 without hesitation.

READ my posts on INLINE MUZZLELOADER

PAGE 2 - KRB First Imprestions
Page 1 - Range report on KRB

Ron G

Latest posts

Back