Hey Al....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
did your GRRW Hawken come in today?? :Salute:

If the one you're getting is akin to this one I have you may have to take some wet sandpaper or emery cloth to the muzzle as this one was tearing patches when whacking with the short starter! I worked on it...during the flood and shot it this afternoon and no more torn patches! Loads with the SS much easier! I thought I had the front sight filed down about right but the first shot here was high with a good call! I pulled out the file and took it down a little more. The below is with 90 grs. KIK 2F and Hornady 530 PRB and compressed .016" pillow ticking lubed with virgin olive oil! I'm done with the file! Good luck with that rifle! I'll bet it's gonna be a shooter! :cheers: :cheers:

25818129666_d56d1a9c5b_b.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Goofed on post! First shot made with center hold as rifle shot low previous time so I held center hold to see where impact would be! It wasn't high enough as I use a 6 0/clock hold on bulls! I then filed front sight a bit more to get a full 6" higher impact to get to bull center! Phone calls, visitors driving up and postings don't jive well!;

Hi Sharpsman
Yup she arrived today. Im hopefully going to shoot it this weekend with Phil Meek and RonC. I will know then. But from the looks of things I may be ok. I dont think this one has been shot to much bore is smooth as glass. Right now Im really impressed with the gun sure feels good when throwing it to my shoulder. Looks like you have the 54 dialed in to me nice shooting for sure.  Mine is number 404 built by GP. Phil told me was made in 1977. Al

Congratulations, Al!

If we go on Saturday, I hope you will teach me which end of the rifle to point down range. :shock: :D
Ron

Ron your older than me and I already know your the teacher. So Im hopin you can show a young guy how to shoot a good group like Sharpsman with his GRRW. I was told that young guys should hang out with old guys cause old guys know something. :cheers: Al

Young guys should hang out with old guys because we've already made the mistakes that you're gonna make without talking with us! My grandkids are constantly calling me and asking questions related to family, shooting, hunting, the War of Northern Aggression, sports, reloading, flying, etc.! One of my grandsons made his solo flight two days back and he's picked my brain pretty heavy down through the years! Young guys should ask their older kin about family because in later years....unless there's a record kept of 'Who's who'.....you'll regret you didn't ask!! Why is it important? If we don't know our past history....we don't have a foundation to rely upon! Down through the years I've probably taught marksmanship to over 1000 people...FREE...no charge on my range because if you aren't taught in the correct manner....you won't ever do it the right way! I was fortunate in that I had the best instructors in the world....the guys at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Ft. Benning, Georgia! Most people don't get highly intensified training in marksmanship and bad habits are very difficult to unlearn!! Talk and listen to your elders! Remembering that at times.....it's beneficial to have a highly efficient bullschitt filter installed!! :Salute: :ttups:

My daughter is into our family's history. My predecessors were very dull. No killers, jailbirds, anarchists, .. nothing. It's bad when all it says is, "Aunt Phoebe had bad rheumatoid arthritis."

Well said, Mr. Sharpsman!
Fortunately, I was able to document my father's WW II experiences just before his death, including landing at Anzio and fighting through Italy and ultimately getting orders to go to the Pacific before the atomic bombs ended the war. Oh, the wisdom of the Army: my father couldn't swim, so they made him amphibious! Heck, I asked for turbine mechanics or electronics and they made me 11 Bravo, infantry.
I knew little of family history before my grandfathers until I started looking further on Ancestry.com. Two years ago, I discovered a cousin who expanded my family exponentially! She found my name as we both searched for the same relatives on Ancestry and tracked me down.
She asked: "Was your grandfather ...name.... and was he a police officer killed on duty on ....date?" Yup! I shared the original newspaper clippings on his and his police partners deaths and the trials of the perp.
I learned that this grandfather did not just have one brother as I had been told, but a second brother and 2 sisters. I did not know that until 2 years ago! I have corroborated that information with birth, marriage and death records.  Amazing! Their children are my new found cousins.
I feel greatly enriched with this family knowledge.
Ron

Ron

And another great posting!

Sorry to hear you lost your grandfather that way! I was an LEO for five years and unless one has been down that route....most folks don't understand what LEO have to put up with! My hats off to all of them...that do their duty in a moral and ethical manner! Most do!

My father was in the police academy when my grandfather was killed. My mother yanked him out of the academy immediately after that.
I have a VERY close relative who is in law enforcement and his father-in-law is a Denver Police Officer. It's a tough time to be a cop!
Ron

Back