Homemade pre-saturated patches for BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
I make my own patches out of old jersey knit sheets and I would like to put together some presatured ones to make it easier to clean up after a day of shooting. What is the best mizture for this purpose? I have heard a lot about hoppes #9 and 91% alochohol. What would you use for blackhorn 209?

when I posted this question on 209 I got a wealth of info from this site. basically all I use is hoppes #9 and then finish up with a gun oil. sure does make things easy

I used to use Hoppes followed by gun oil for every cleaning. However, discovered that Hoppes itself is somewhat of a barrel protectant/rust preventor. So, if I am going to shoot again pretty soon, I don't use the oil, just the hoppes. If I am putting the gun away for a long time, then I use oil as the last step.

Now, to get back to the actual question asked: I would think that Hoppes soaked pads would do quite nicely.

I just posted a thread on Hoppes...Always used it. But I just tried Breakfree CLP, and it seemed much better. I ran a patch with the breakfree down the barrel after using the Hoppes solvent, and it came out very dirty..

I use Hopps and then breakfree with CLP to protect the metal.

On the home made patches, becareful and make sure you are using 100% cotton. With cotton, any fibers left behind will turn to ash when you shoot and doesn't hurt anything. If it has synthetics in it, the fibers left behind can melt into a plactic type material inside the barrel / action.

Breakfree,is a good bore solvent. Many manufactors,including Bush Master recomend it as a cleaner/solvent,for the whole gun. Another great bore cleaner/protectant is Kano Kroil. It is a penetrating oil,and will creep into,and under any deposits in a bore. Your barrel will also be protected from rust. Many top bench rest shooter use this oil to clean/protect their expensive rifle barrels. I figured if it was good enough for their guns,it was good enough for mine! :D There is nothing it won't get under,and remove in a bore. Lead/copper/plastic/carbon/ect. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=137203 Ron

Back