Hornady FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hornady

Yes & they are great. Very accurate & we tried a wet sand performance test at 100 yards & a perfect mushroom was the result.
I used 80 grains BH209 in a Kodiak Magnum . And NO sabot required, just push them down the barrel ( a bit tight at the muzzle end , but then pretty good down the tube.

Art Sehnke

I had a terrible time getting them down on a fouled barrel, even after only one shot. You may have to swab between shots in order to get the next round down the bore. I originally thought sabots were hard to load until i tried these conicals :lol:

Haven't really heard that from others. I didn't have any trouble pushing them down after a slight hard start. However, I have a T handle that folds back straight when you put in on the gun. With the T handle, just a strong push got them down even in a fouled barrel in my Omega (which are known for their tight barrels. Of course that was with BH 209.

I always swab between each shot with other powders, and with my KRB and 777, they loaded OK as well. A quick wet patch, followed by a dry patch, and they are good to go.

I feel if you don't have the QLA on an gun when loading the FPB's you'll have an harder time. it is fine with range work where you'll have time to fumble around with them.

I had problems get them started in knight disc extreme. cost me an deer. more blame on me choosing the bullet knowing I could need an second shot. going to do some work this summer to figure something out to make it easier with me and this knight.

the fpb's run .504 or .505 in dia. depending on who is measuring

I have shot three boxes (almost) of them thru my NULA, with no problems with them being hard to load. That is also with or without swabbing between loads. They are a great bullet, but it depends more on your barrel than it does on the bullet, if it's too tight or too loose you need to try a different dia. sabot.

MCee67 said:
I have shot three boxes (almost) of them thru my NULA, with no problems with them being hard to load. That is also with or without swabbing between loads. They are a great bullet, but it depends more on your barrel than it does on the bullet, if it's too tight or too loose you need to try a different dia. sabot.

mcee, me thinks you are thinking about xtp or the sst, the FPB is the conical.

another few weeks, it will be the FTX. lol

man hornidy's bullets are getting confusing

Yup! My mistake. :oops: I was thinking the XPB. Sheesh, that is getting confusing!

They shot great in my NEF Huntsman, and loaded firm but not hard by any means. The first time I shot them in the Knight Disc Extreme they were around 2", because of the sharp crown on the Knights. You have to keep the bullet perfectly straight doing it this way.

I figured out a better way to ready your FPB's for the Knight by pre-rifling the bullets first. Starting with a UNLOADED rifle with the breech plug out, either push the bullets nose first into the muzzle or the breech just far enough to swadge in the rifling kerfs. Then either push on through or push them back out, I recommend pushing them back out. By pushing them in nose first you keep the bullet straight and the flared end stays aligned and swadges down easy. You can do this to all your bullets in just a couple minutes at home in the nice warm house.

After doing this to your bullets, they are ready to be easily loaded at the range, or for that follow up shot while hunting. Try it, you will like it. I bet your accuracy improves in the Knights.

This is a pic of the first 3 Hornady FPB's I shot out of my NEF Huntsman. :wink:

013-5.jpg

basta, you have tried and what I have done by just pushing my loads out.

pretty much size the bullet to your barrel.

what yardage was that target at.

I have one at 50yrds with my knight usak (no problems with starting) 75grs of triple 7

4 out 5 in one hole same gun can't group them at 100yrds.

shooting1008.jpg

So, I can see how this would size the bullets, but not how you could then line the premade riflings up. Is this in a non QLA and you are lining the grooves up? Or does it not see to make any difference and you just load the bullet? Since I shoot them out of an Omega, there would be no way I could line the riflings up when loading the presized bullet. If it doesn't make any difference (accuracy wise), this may be a great way to have the bullets ready for hunting.

I'm curious too to hear if presizing the bullet affects accuracy.

Corey,

100 yards.

txhunter58,

This method is for the sharp crowns on Knight Disc Extreme rifles, not for the rifles with QLA's. My NEF Huntsman has a "relieved crown" (for lack of a better word) where the bullet has the oportunity to sit slightly inside the bore allowing it to swage the rifling. The Knight lands (.5015) and the flare on the base of the FPB (.507) have a conflict when starting the projectile, and therefore must be started perfectly straight for best results. After pre-rifling the bullets, you just line up the kerfs with the lands, they fit perfectly. The flare is only about .125" from the base, and that will be the only part that ends up pre-rifled.

Cajun,

No need to pre-size/pre-rifle for any rifle with a false muzzle, that QLA keeps things lined up. It would probably hurt accuracy unless you get the rifling kerfs lined up. This is for the sharply crowned rifles, the Knight had much better accuracy. I don't think I could ask for better accuracy out of the NEF Huntsman, this was not the standard breech plug in the NEF, it is a custom 209 plug. The standard plug will not seal well enough with the primer carriers using BH209.

They are very accurate in my Knight Extreme MHC

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

I shoot them with 100 gr of BH209.. groups same as above.

I will have to try that with my Knight KRB. It really isn't a problem to start with the Omega anyway, so it would only be helpful with guns without the QLA. Makes sense to me. Thanks

I have 2 I pushed loads out after bad weather. I'll get a few more done. going to get to the range this week end. I'll give it an try

JJ,

Did you ever get one of those FPB's to stop in your ballistic gel? If so could you post a pic please?

The FPB bullets are the best shooting bullets I have found for my .50 cal Knight Disc Elite, in the velocity range I want. I am shooting 110 gr of BH209 and I am getting 1.5 MOA with the FPB.

I did use Busta's method of pre-sizing the bullets down the bore backwards as the are not the easiest to load with out a QLA. This has no effect on accuracy other than to help it as you are seating the bullet straight. There is only about .100" of contact area when seated by hand. When the powder goes off the bullet obturates and fills the bore.

Am preparing to elk hunt this weekend. Bought some 350 grain FPB bullets and have had the the Encore to the range three times. Second time it fired a 1.5" three shot group at 100 yards. Yesterday the wind was blowing hard and gusting. In spite of that i had a three shot group measuring about 2.5" at 100 yards.

My FPB load for the Encore uses 120 grains of Goex 2F Pinnacle powder and a Winchester shotgun primer. It loads easily into a clean or a dirty barrel and shoots to the same point of impact. Pinnacle likes a sabot/bullet that his seated very hard.

Latest posts

Back